Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WABX And UHF Channel TV Program? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that the late FM "counterculture" Detroit radio station WABX used to have a program that aired on the evening/weekend during the early 70s, on one of the UHF channels, perhaps being WPBS channel 56, where they would show portions of old movies without their soundtracks, and instead would use rock music as the audio background, for an effect similar to the recently ballyhooed Pink Floyd DSOTM/Wizard Of Oz audio/video synchronization.

Is there any DYesers here that remember it, as well as what the name/title was of that TV program?

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tubeworks

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may be remembering Detroit's forerunner to MTV- 'C Sharp' which was on the first channel 62, WXON ?, when their studios were in Walled Lake.
I remember the 'party atmosphere' in the studio being shown along with movie clips. Ha- still remember when they showed cannibal horror movie clips while "We're So Sorry Uncle Albert" played.
I don't think there was any connection to WABX.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

I was going to ask that question on the Vintage Detroit TV and Movie Board website if no one here responded.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember Doug Podell and "The Beat"?

I believe it aired in the early '80s on Friday nights at 11.

New music videos on over-the-air TV?
Imagine that!

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I edited a program on WXYZ about 1985 called "Video Cafe". We aired music videos and the stereo audio was simulcast on sister station WRIF.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flanders Field, and anyone else. The WABX "midnight Madness at the Ramona show. It was on Six mile past Gratiot. WABX would show movies like Woodstock, Superfly, exc!! Think it was on Fridays. WABX was a huge radio station, I still have me Air Aces calender. geri in SCS

Detroittrader
Username: Detroittrader

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the Dave Dixon show? That was awesome, I tried to catch it every week. That had too be in the late 80's??? His big sponsor was hawking "sheet suspenders" LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.