Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anybody want to put me up for 2 nights? « Previous Next »
Archive through February 03, 2008Kathinozarks30 02-03-08  7:42 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11475
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like I'm out of a meal or two.

Heh, it was fun to be a part of modern anthropology for the moment, though!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, maybe Roadmaster will invite you to dinner out while he's in town as you were the most inviting of the DY'ers? That would be nice.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everybody. We did get a kick out of that Paper clipping. No, I'm serious, and a little skinny guy, very trusting and I trust the posters on here. I have more then enough scratch to stay in a motel, but thought up this crazy idea for this two day trip. If I had a relative living in Detroit, I would stay there, and they would show me around, and I would buy them supper(s). So rather then stay in a motel, eat at a close by chain store, why don't you take me up on it and take me to your best famous local places to eat, on me.

In Des Moines, we have a couple of good Tex-Mex restaurants, a great fresh seafood place, great Indian and Chinese places, plus BBQ, etc.

My email is abc.moran@netzero.net my name is Bryan. I own a 49 Buick Roadmaster and a 68 Riviera. I would like someone to take me around but I can handle that if your busy. Thanks

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got a MySpace to prove who you are? Oh wait, you have a 49 Roadmaster, I guess you are a little older than the MySpace generation...

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gannon, I'll email you. I only have 5 posts because I just had a friend tell me to check in here on this forum about 2 weeks ago. I work for Wells Fargo and I was checking out our bank owned website when I noticed 44 pages of homes for sale.

I'm a preservationist, whether it's an old home or an old car. My friend said check out Boston-Edison and Corktown, Indian Village, and Palmer Woods. Well I can tell you, Palmer Woods and Indian Village are way over my middle income salary.

I thought I would check out buying and old B-E home and restoring it, coming over 6-7 times a year to work on it and acclimate myself to Detroit.

Before that I always wanted to check out the Packard factory on Eaast Grande before it is demolished, and other sites like Book-Cadillac. My local contact said he would take me around for a tour on Saturday, but I'm not sure he wants me crashing there, he's just an on-line old car buddy.

I hatched this idea when thinking about staying in locals homes on trips abroad but I figured I would need to learn French or German or whatever and place an ad in papers over there.

Now I thought about this trip, and how much more rewarding it might be to stay with a local versus being in a motel. I can get more "bang for my buck" staying at a stranger's house with like mided interests over just coming over.

So that's why so few post, but I check in daily. I'm learning a lot.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4400
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could just bring your wife or a guest to keep you company. No offense; if someone here takes you up on your offers I'll be happy for you, and I want you to have a good time here, but this is a tad unorthodox. Even in Detroit, most people are busy. Work and stuff...

You could do some research about good places to stay and eat online, even right here on this site. We could talk for days about it. It's much more to ask for one of the forumers to show up and take you directly to these places.

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kslice I'm 44 years old. I'm an old married guy. I take frequent bathes. By the way, I need a non smoker, sorry, I'm alergic to cigarette smoke.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster49, can't currently offer you a place to crash but would gladly show you around our Detroit rehab project and talk to you about fixing up a house in the city. Learned a thing or two restoring a duplex after years of abandonment.

I identify with your enthusiasm and optimism about Detroit; despite a few figurative black eyes I've experienced some of the best of humanity here inside city limits.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

roadmaster,

where can one find the list of bank owned properties on-line?

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey QDaddy,

Glad to help!

www.pasreo.com Narrow the search by entering whatever city you want, in my case Detroit and you can limit the amount . I usually put in $75,000 maximum then search. Detroit - you get 44 or so pages depending on the day.

I work for Wells Fargo. PAS = Premier Asset Services, our wholly owned bank property website. I actually cannot purchase any of these homes. What a shame! If I was in Detroit, I would purchase several, fix them up and sell them.

As it is, I am going to "try" and get a B-E home, but those taxes, man! I would be game to meeting a Forum group at a local restaurant for brekfast Saturday morning. Just name the place!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivios? what do you think Gannon?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His wife--Lizzie Borden Roadmaster--vouches for him. So, it should be OK, I reckon.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm 44 years old. I'm an old married guy. I take frequent bathes. By the way, I need a non smoker, sorry, I'm alergic (sic) to cigarette smoke."

Far from old Roadmaster49, matter of fact I keep hearing Dennis Hopper telling me 50 is the new 40, so 40 must be the new 30.

Smoke and me don’t get along at all, seems to get worse as I get older.

Anyway good luck with the search.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed-LMAO=how did you create that?

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh come on you guys....get on your computers and check the guy out...and invite him to stay. I did just that and 2.5 years of happiness and joy came my way. Wasn't our intention but it happened none the less. Not that I am suggesting any kind of romantic relationship developing but perhaps a great friendship. BTW, I'll invite you all to the wedding next July. ;)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ja1mz,
It's a program called newspaper clipping generator.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Barnesfoto-

Hitchhike up Cass from downtown. I dare you.

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on February 05, 2008)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4713
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lady,
1. I'm in Los Angeles.
2.I got wheels now, my hitchiking days are over
(barring a breakdown).
Besides,( 3.) walking up Cass would be quicker.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 446
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember in the 80's going to the Belcrest Hotel on Cass to visit a HS friend who was going to Wayne State. They had $3 Labatt's pitcher nights on Wed.

We'd save up our change (pennies mostly) and throw it onto Cass. Then we'd watch all the wino's run into the street to gather up the coins!

Yeah, I'm going to hell when I die. But at least I had a good time! :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 11493
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked from the State/Filmore Theater last night up Grand River to Woodbridge, then this morning back down GR to Temple, across to Eastern Market.

Didn't see a single hitchhiker in that galaxy.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_

Thanks for the link. I'll have some fun with it at work.

And "Roadmaster49" and wife "Lizzie"

welcome to a GREAT forum and know as I do, you are mostly among friends here.

I found this forum 3 months ago and haven't left yet!

Gannon

Post Number: 11494
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,

You're going to have me sounding like a Hobbit...second breakfast, elevenzees...our two-year-tradition-in-training 'first' breakfast proper is 7 a.m. sharp at Zeff's.

Yeah, I know, most times I'm still up from the night before.

I should be a joy at eleven if I don't get a nap.

Heh.

I guess I'll have to plan ahead then, having (my second) breakfast after our coffee meetup at Mary's across the street...I think Rachael and a few others from the ImpeachKwame.com thread were going to do sweets. I know what happens to everyone I introduce to those cookies, so this'll be a more-or-less recurring meeting!

THEN we can retire upstairs and hassle Heather until the sun goes down...or something like that.

Cheers,
John

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK IF we were going to meet for breakfast on Saturday morning February 23, what is the best breakfast restaurant in town?

I lived in Houston Texas for 4 years and without question that place was Mama's Cafe, down on Westheimer. They had this breakfast item called Heuvos Hoffbrau. You'd get about 4-5 warm flour tortillas, scrambled eggs, meat, a too die for cheese sauce and hash browns. Great coffee too.

So where are we meeting?

By the way, the Tour Detroit tab on this forum is awesome.

(Message edited by Roadmaster49 on February 06, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 11522
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster,

I cannot speak of 'the best' of anything, but for the most fun you can handle...great food, amazing staff...we'd be fine at Vivio's for all of it.

Best Bloody Mary's around, from what they say. I drink their Guinness on tap, and the occasional hard liquor shot...oh yeah, it's a bar as well as restaurant, but in the Eastern Market...a magical place of food commerce, so the food is always fresh.

Wait a minute...you said you were allergic to cigarette smoke. Most restaurants and bars in Michigan allow smoking, and by law have non-smoking sections. Sometimes that is not enough for sensitive individuals.

There are very few cigarette-free breakfast environs...we'd have to survey the other posters to have just one, and the place I know for lunch and dinner is an Irish joint in Corktown...Baille Corcaigh, or Bally Cork.

I would highly recommend that for a dinner and drinks, but it would take a cab ride from the RenCen...probably five bucks or so each way. Worth that price of admission, it is quite a place. Of course, Eastern Market is a cab ride from the RenCen...although I'd bet you could convince one of their shuttle drivers to drop you off on their way back to the airport and save you a little coin.

If you can stand a little secondhand smoke...almost none in non-smoking downstairs...Vivio's will still be the best place for everyone to meet.

We might even have a bigger lurker turnout because more folks are down in the Market that day...you should enjoy the experience, too. It might be a slow day in Eastern Market, not a whole lot of farmers selling their goods...but still a decent taste of what happens in the oldest and largest farmer's market in the country.

Cheers!

Master_debator2
Username: Master_debator2

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Roadmaster, are you and your wife still looking to buy a house in Detroit. Our family moved out and they are trying to sell their house in Corktown. Theres this pesky little thing known as foreclosure and they are trying to buy the house back for a cheap price. Once they do that, they will probably sell it for anything from 150,000 to 175,000. Gannon has been to my parents house. You can email him and ask him if he thinks its worth it.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmmmm! The Baille Corcaigh! Love the "Paddy's Pancakes" and beautiful ambience.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this guy rules. I love it.

Gannon

Post Number: 11526
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M_d2,

You beat me to the punch! I just talked with your sister, at her new workplace, by chance tonight.

I take back all the nasty stuff I said about you not returning Bruce's e-mails...

Cheers, or as much as I can muster thinking of you seeing all those Hawaiian sunsets while we get a rainbow of grays.

You suck, but I still love your parents!

Gannon

Post Number: 11527
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Heya, shoot me an e-mail, we're going to get on the manufacture of that stuff you did the research on last year...I've got a few folks in Woodbridge willing to give us workspace.)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster: Is your visit still on for this weekend? What are your plans?

Dave and I are up for meeting for breakfast if we can work it out prior to heading to the Detroit Historical Society's tour of Venus Bronze Works.

Where and what time?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.