Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Explosives for Pistons opening act stolen « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone in metro Detroit is hauling a stolen trailer carrying about $70,000 worth of explosives meant to pump up the crowd before Pistons games...

...“My fear is they stole it for scrap,” said Nino De Benedetti, Band-Ayd’s president. “And when open it and find it’s this monstrous thing, they’ll just
start cutting into it.”

That, he said, could be deadly.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080203/NEWS02/ 80203016

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 711
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't we get a paper that can write a readable sentence?

"Employees of Band-Ayd listed wrong in the phone book.Systems International Inc.,
which provides for five years has provided the flames and flash that kick off home games, discovered the trailer was missing about 8 a.m. Sunday."

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol... I thought I was the only one who couldn't understand it. I thought I was up too early or something.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11317
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't CL here up in arms about Warren?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it be interesting if a local scrap yard that had unethical practices of buying scrap suddenly went boom this afternoon?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11318
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would make me pretty happy.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if I buy the idea of this particular trailer being stolen for scrap. Didn't someone steal Hooper's (the mascot) costume a couple years ago? I'd start the investigation there.

Either way, maybe this is the straw that will force law makers to stiffen penalties for illegal scrappers and people who buy stolen metal. It certainly is the most high profile case of suspected scrapping around here in a while.

I just hope that the guy who stole this stuff lives near me, so I can see 50ft flames and one heck of a 4th of July show.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt a scrapper stole that. Probably just a thief that realizes someone will give them a few grand for the fireworks and trailer. Truth be known, it probably got repo'd for non payment. Judging by how most businesses pay their vendors around here.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 979
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could this have something to do with the trailer that went missing about a month or so ago? That one was the trailer of a rock band from Chicago that got it ripper off as the band members ate dinner downtown. Maybe this is a theft ring.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3418
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those trailers are typical for hauling snowmobiles, ATVs, motorbikes, construction and landscaping equipment, band and electronic equipment, all sorts of goodies. It's easy enough to tell by the weight on the tongue whether the trailer's loaded or not. Thieves know that. They aren't stealing for scrap.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.