Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Why did you move out of Detroit (to all it applies)? » Archive through February 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still love Detroit. Why? Probably because I'm a romantic kind of guy. But memories back in day like Bob Lo Island boat rides, JL Hudsons (where I was amongst a chosen few high schoolers to model for their Action Age Magazine - does anyone have a copy of those?), Edgewater Park, running away from home at age 8 with my dog and walking down Gratiot Ave. near Van Dyke scared out of my mind only to be rescued by dear loving father who made sure I would never feel unloved again, being accepted at Cass Tech which saved me from a poorly organized and dangerous neighborhood high school, enjoying and being part of a highly diverse community of various ethnic groups, starting and leading a teen club that fundraised to take 40 of us to NYC and Wash., DC (and we were only 11-12 yrs. old), and many more experiences.

But somehow I out grew Detroit because Detroit stop growing. In fact, it started to get smaller in almost every sense. And the cold, cold, wintry weather does not help (good luck tonight with the weather forecast).

I would like to return to Detroit. But I will not if it does not aggressively create a regional mass transportation system, reduce the Detroit City Council to a part-time council and/or a five member body (Detroit has half the population today), and last but not least or complete, that its leaders, all of them, represent an image that our youngsters can aspire to. This includes leaders(?) like Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and even Oakland Country Executive Brooks Patterson who it is reported is getting away with numerous acts of misconduct as well (calling all Detroit Free Press reporters to Oakland County -stat!).

Until then, I will and can enjoy the rest of my life in the numerous other terrains, villages and cities that this Planet has to offer.

(Message edited by figebornu on January 31, 2008)

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born and raised in Detroit.

Moved to Hamtramck to be with my girlfriend for the last 10 years.

We're going to move out, not to Detroit though. The cost of car insurance is too high and we're sick of the filth and crime.

I hate to say that, but I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Slipslap
Username: Slipslap

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't consider moving to Hamtramck moving out of Detroit.

I moved to this side of the state from Grand Rapids for Detroit's automotive opportunities, and now that the "big" three are anything but, I'm considering moving out of state altogether.

Look at your mayor. The apples don't fall far from the tree.

www.cafepress.com/slippyslappy
www.cafepress.com/slippyslappy2

(Message edited by slipslap on January 31, 2008)

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moved right over to Harper Woods, but it seems like I'm miles away, although 2 exits down is Detroit. Moved b/c I didnt want to be stuck paying private school tuition along with the declining services.

Geo_t
Username: Geo_t

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy answer: long police response to home invasion calls while the perp was still in the house and then escaped while the cops ate donuts. My wife and I did more investigation than the Detroit police, and actually recovered stolen items that they overlooked in the alley. We did the "urban pioneer" thing for a decade, and then we wised up and moved to where we had some serious response time from our city safety authority, a mile and a half north of the Detroit city demarcation.

Just my 2 ounces...

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a great job offer in Kalamazoo...left in '69...40 years later I'm still a Detroiter (Eastside-Denby) after having wandered and lived from Alaska to Alabama...and now settled in the Southwest.

(Message edited by GoBlue on January 31, 2008)

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We moved out of Detroit over the 70's bussing issue. Moved out of the Burbs this summer to Houston for better jobs.

Detalum
Username: Detalum

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the early 70's, when my daughter was nearing school age, the word was that she would be part of the bussing plan. Well, there was no way that I was going to have my little girl board a bus to some strange, far away West Side school (Sorry Jjaba). So I hit 8 Mile.

Capnhook
Username: Capnhook

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moved into the city in 1998 after moving into MI.
found a great old home in Old Redford and love the house and the neighbors.
knew that we didn't want to pay for private school. moved out of the city to rochester to be cut the commute now that the kids are here.
also solved the which public school for the kids issue.
Now my employer is moving to Virgina and I am moving with them.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Figebornu, I was raised in the inner city of Detroit and left because, quite frankly, the overwhelming majority of people around me had convictions, conjectures, and asinine beliefs similar to yours...

http://www.figebornu.blogspot. com/

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated D.P.S. just before bussing started.
In fact, I doubt there WERE many school busses. We walked to our neighborhood elementary school, and took DSR busses to Jr High/High School.
Never considered raising my kids in Detroit. It was a sad sight seeing all the neighborhood kids still walk to the local elementary school BUT stand by the curb waiting for the bus that would transport them to another school. That local elem school used to be active even in evenings with PTO, scouts, school plays, etc. No more.
Also- we did not lock our door unless we were going to be gone for a day or two. My parents now 'lock themselves in' and have a burglar alarm. After 10+ break-ins, a car jacking in the drive, and one armed intruder, no wonder. Police response time was hours to sometimes 2 days or "come to the station and fill out the form for your insurance"
Bulk trash pick up ended. They have a treed lot, it has been used for illegal dumping last couple years.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6243
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moved 4 miles from Moross/I-94 to St. Clair Shores, because not paying for a 3% income tax, and lower auto insurance rates meant that with the lower costs I could take a 2-3 week vacation to Europe every year without extra expenses.

Figebornu
Username: Figebornu

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Detx, don't forget www.myspace.com/figebornu, and there is more (lol)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geo_t...

I find the response time from my Remington 870 more than adequate.

Hell, even if I don't wear my glasses, I can hit the intruder!

Brushparkbub
Username: Brushparkbub

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

moved to the d in '04. 3 years of school at wayne and i moved back to san francisco, my hometown, summer of '07. i still miss it though. miss the weirdness, the buildings and many of the people. don't miss the shitty food. we might be snobs here in san francisco, but i gotta say there is a lot to be hoped for in detroit cuisine. but i rep the city to anyone willing to listen. and i visit every chance i get.

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reading these response it sounds like many moved because the blacks(i.e crime) moved in. Smells like racism to me.

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't lock your doors? On what planet did you grow up?

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try to take the high road here, think I've been mocked...
I grew up in Detroit 60's 70's. Fish out of water.
--'Planet'-- ran low on-- 'oxygen'--. Had to leave to survive. To lock doors has now become necessary, However, I was a paperboy and several of my customers also left their doors unlocked at the time.
When a--'body of water'-- runs low on--oxygen'-- it cannot sustain as much--'life'--, some must die or leave. After awhile that--'body of water'- becomes unappealing in appearance and difficult to survive in. It can be revived, many--'bodies of water'-- have been revived from --'swamps'--. Kudos to those who have the ideas and resources to do so, this--'planet'-- needs you.
NOW substitute the words 'city', people'and 'safety'for oxygen, body water, life, swamp,planet etc.
Hope I've made a point without offending anyone.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the point was, "Only the strong survive"?

Maybe something to do with natural selection?

Afraid of hard work?

Small penis?

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved out of Detroit for a job. I could have stayed in the city but I am not a "car" guy and got tired of driving everywhere for everything. If I ever moved back, I would still choose the city or Hamtramck over the suburban area but I would not even consider it until the transit and sense of community improves.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

reading these response it sounds like many moved because the blacks(i.e crime) moved in. Smells like racism to me.
---------------------

how disappointing that you would judge these people as "racist". Seems to me, they were only concerned about their safety and welfare, as well as their children, not what you imply. Show me one of the prior posts that even mention "race".... What a small narrow minded way you have of thinking........Jane

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitblogger tells today why Detroit Popcorn Co. moved a few days ago from Greenfield Road to Telegraph south of 5 Mile in Redford Township:
quote:

crime fears, exorbitant city taxes and fees, and what [the owner] sees as neighborhoods and their business arteries neglected by city officials.

. . . The move is a reminder that, despite the gains downtown, the rest of the city is still struggling to keep residents and businesses from moving to the suburbs.

Post is headlined, aptly, 'Kernels of truth'

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moved from E. Warren & Outer Dr. in 92. Why? Mother was mugged in the driveway at noon. House broken into twice during the day. Car stolen. Need I go on. Oh btw the DPD never responded to any of the calls.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family moved out of our lower East Side neighborhood when the (African-American) landlord doubled the rent on the duplex-back in l954. My dad then tried to get an apartment near Dexter Ave, but the landlord turned us down because we weren't Jewish.
So, I think my parents were just fed up.

(Message edited by swiburn on February 01, 2008)

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how disappointing that you would judge these people as "racist". Seems to me, they were only concerned about their safety and welfare, as well as their children, not what you imply. Show me one of the prior posts that even mention "race".... What a small narrow minded way you have of thinking........Jane"

Nicely said, Jane.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad then tried to get an apartment near Dexter Ave, but the landlord turned us down because we weren't Jewish"

Had you been half-Jewish, do you think he would have allowed you to live there half the time? =)

(with apologies to Groucho Marx)

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never lived in the city per se, left Warren in the mid 80s after the EDS-GM fiasco for better employment opportunities and warmer climes. Have decided that 60s at night and mid 70s to 80 all winter is far better for my state of mind. Unless there is some personal crisis or fantastic opportunity, I'll die in FL.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a switch . moved into the city downtown. from Canada (Toronto) in 1990. stayed till 2002, moved to the burbs (Huntington Woods) for three years and moved back downtown in 2005. Have no intention of moving out, nor do most of my neighbors. The neighborhood ( Lafayette Park) and neighbors are great, my residence in my highrise (1300) is perfectly safe, great view, car is safe and am able to walk to anything downtown where there is tons of restaurants ( some good ones finally), entertainment venues, professional sports, close museums and now a great riverfront to run in weather permitting each morning. For some of us here believe it or not it is not all doom and gloom. The cost of living here is roughly 60 % of what I was paying in the burbs and 40%of what it is in Toronto presently. My out of town friends from Chicago and Toronto cant believe the bang for the buck. It is possible to live in the city and do quite fine if you do your homework. I believe most posters on this board living in this area would say the same thing. Ofcourse if you have children and need the school system, its another story.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't afford to live in DTW...insurance is too high

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can live in the airport? That's crazy!