Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » ACR « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a potential Detroit home buyer (live in Ann Arbor but love the city and come often enough to consider moving in), and I often see phrases like this one in Detroit real estate ads:

< <
Buyer To Have Acr In Listing Agents Office 48 Hours Prior To Setting Closing. Could Be A Nice Starter. Buyer To Obtain Acr From The City Of Detroit.
> >

Can someone explain to me how this works? I thought the benefit of going through a real estate agent was that they took care of getting hold of the proper forms. It sounds to me as though I have to navigate a perilous city bureaucracy on my own. And worse, one seller told me, "Those inspectors always want bribes, anyway."

Any tips on dealing with this should the need arise?

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's an affidavit of compliance something....

It's a very common thing in Detroit. Basically the seller has the house inspected.

Then they mail you a list of all the things you need to get fixed in the next 6 months to get a Certificate of Occupancy.

Then they never check back (from what I hear). I'm on month 8 of mine after getting one with 3 pages of fixes.

Then when you go to sell your house the same thing starts over.

It's nothing to worry about.

I can send you mine if you want to see what one looks like.

(Message edited by DetroitHabitater on February 04, 2008)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My suggestion is rent for a year and then go house hunting. That way you can get a better feel for different neighborhoods, what you like, what you can expect there, make a few new friends and then make a more informed decision. That's the way the future Mrs. and I did it and are quite pleased so far.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACR stands for "Affadavit of Compliance Responsability"

Before closing, buyers must go to the City County Building, 4th floor and sign something stating that they have received the inspection report and understand what's wrong with the house.

Detroithabitater is correct, there is no followup to make sure that repairs have been made.

The city inspection is basically a way to get the city $295 each time a house sells, it is basically a type of real estate transfer tax.
Someone took the city to court over this a few years ago and won, the city inspection was deemed illegal for a while and was reinstated.

If you want to avoid the hassle of signing the ACR, you can have someone sign it for you. They will have to have a noterized power of attorney in order to do this.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the responses--sounds less onerous than feared.

E_hemingway, I have certainly been thinking about renting, but some of the deals out there now are so good I'm tempted just to jump in and make the best of it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.