Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Universal Mall « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any new information on when this mall is going to be torn down? I read in the paper today that Value City is leaving Universal Mall.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how it stay open at this point

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a sign on the property calling for additional retailers to join a Target store there. I didn't see an expected completion date, though.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know Universal is already scheduled to close and be demolished. The plan is/was to tear down everything other than a few of the anchors and possibly the cinema complex. The entire site would then be redeveloped with large format stores in much the same way Tel-Twelve and Wonderland were redeveloped. Value City leaving is not a huge surprise--they are in the process of trying to stay afloat via a restructuring which no doubt includes shedding some underperforming stores. It does appear the Universal redevelopment is behind schedule--I imagine you can chalk that up to the current economic reality.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Value City is closing 5 Michigan stores (Livonia, Roseville, Wyoming, Saginaw and Warren) and and will be gone within two months...saw it on the news at noon.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3715
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot imagine a Target Store there, isn't there on just a mile or 2 south of there?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not even. Both are on the east side of Dequindre between 11 and 12 Mile.
Anyway, I hope the Cinemark stays open. First-run movie tickets are way too expensive.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw the report also--wipes out what's left of Crowley's locally. A possible death knell (finally) for Livonia Mall and Universal. Going to pinch Macomb also, which strikes me as a mall stuck between the booming regional malls and the dying local malls. Not sure about Livonia or Universal--but I know that the Macomb Mall Value City has some Crowley-ness left--I remember the Crowley's logo being inlaid in the floor at the both the mall and outside entrances--it's usually crudely and partially covered up by a floormat or display. I recall it being the "last" Crowley's logo--the block letters with the swoosh/wave below, not the traditional cursive Crowley's logo. If you do some research on the old Crowley Milner Co, you discover that huge cost overruns related to asbestos abatement during renovations at Macomb Mall and a couple of other locations really put a nail in their coffin.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's going to be a Target Super Store so I'm guessing that the old store will be closing down. According to Wikipedia Target stores are between 95,000 to 135,000 square feet, while the Target Super stores are 175,000 square feet.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk is right--it's Target's version of the Wal*Mart Supercenter or Meijer.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Value City was keeping UM afloat (Cinemark has been losing money for years now), so I can only imagine this makes way for demo.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It made me kind of sad/mad when Value City appropriated the Crowleys name. I always thought of Crowleys as kind of a classy place, which Value City is definitely not.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Value City was keeping UM afloat (Cinemark has been losing money for years now), so I can only imagine this makes way for demo."

I don't know about that, Cinemark is supposed to stay at its present location and they're supposed to put some money towards making some improvements to the theater. They can't be doing that poorly.

The VC at Universal looks like it's about a half a step above a flea market. Of all the bigger stores at Universal VC leaving is probably the least damaging to that complex. I walked through the Burlington Coat Factory and was surprised by how nice that store was. It had a nice clean and sharp look about it for a discount store.

(Message edited by rjk on February 05, 2008)

Irunwscissors
Username: Irunwscissors

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burlington isn't bad, they have improved their image dramatically. The store in Roseville is always nice and clean, and the merchandise is name brand, even if it is last sesons....I think the addition of the Baby Depot has helped as well. I would love to see Universal revitalized. I agree that Value City has to go, the name alone says "cheap". Consumers don't want "cheap", they want affordable quality.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like another tear down the old fashioned shopping area and build a new one. Same idea but the newer ones are a longer strip with parking out front. Of course they put the nice street side drive though restaurants to create a nice design! Im sure Applebees will be there to. There may be some green strips of course their aesthetic and function will greatly improve the sight! To bad many of these large parcels available for redevlopment in or more built out areas usually are just filled in with typical parking lot developments. It wont be often in the future for many of these cities or developers to get their hands on large parcels in the denser urban areas. To bad not many have taken a good advantage of these parcels. Just look at what they did with the GM property in Warren.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sears at Livonia mall is still open and some other stores but very few. The mall is pretty much empty. Remember Mervyn's used to be there too. I haven't been there in awhile so I don't know what stores are still open.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Fareastsider. I had heard that Universal Mall was going to be transformed into a Partridge Creek. Personally I was disappointed with Partridge Creek, it is an over-grown strip mall if you ask me. I think the Village of Rochester is nicer. It must be hard for a planner to take an idea like Partridge Creek and turn into a pseudo-downtown in the middle of suburbia. Ultimately Wal-Mart at Hall and Romeo Plank will kill the ambiance of Partridge Creek and Ninos. If the city of Warren is smart they will not allow Wal-mart or any other bland looking big box into that spot.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those outdoor malls creep me out... They pose as fake "downtowns". I'd rather support a real downtown area instead of pretending a mall is the center of a city's social life. On a practical note, not generally a great idea in Michigan's climate.

Maybe they were invented by pod people!

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Target is a mile south of there at Dequindre and 11 Mi. Rd. I remember when Universal was built. The big draws was Crowley's at the South end and Montgomery Ward at the north end. Then there was a Kresge right in the center....and a Winkleman's (I'm trying to remember), a Rose Jewelers, Casual Corner, Harps, (which is now located in Birmingham but now only sells lingerie). There was more. The theater and anything west of the main aisle was added later. I can agree with the post on Partridge Creek. What were they thinking building an outside mall?

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Universal Mall, built to cater to the mostly white folks who left Detroit, now mostly a ghettohood....

Errrrr, my bad, I just thought I would post Danny's comments...(sorry Danny!(lol)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Target store will be closing once the new one opens.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sad to see Value City go. It had nice name brand stuff, especially in their ladies boutique area. They often carried Worth which is quite pricey and excellent quality. I could also always buy my husband's gifts there, they always have Enyce, Girbaud and all of the trendy stuff he enjoys for a much better price, especially on clearance in the big and tall men's section. I'm sad to see it go, I have driven up there just for the Cinemark and Value City and enjoy both of them.

763z
Username: 763z

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fastcarsfreedom: SuperTarget stores are nicer (and cleaner) than Wal*Mart or Meijer! The only similarity is they all utilize the "one-stop shopping" concept.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Burlington still be there?

That's the only store we virtually went for (before they moved their St Clair Shores location along Gratiot).

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the mall in it's heyday?

I recall a space themed mural made out of mosaic tile at the main entrance. Woolworth's had a lunch counter in the mall in front of the store. A bird cage by the main entrance and a stage in the center of the mall. Cunninghams also had store at the north end as did Hughes and Hatchers.

I also recall sunken gardens and water features. Quite the shopping destination in its day.

Wonder what folks will say about Partridge Creek and Sommerset 50 years from now.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say I've been to a SuperTarget. The newest W*M Supercenters are decent and the new format Meijer stores are fantastic. If you want to step back in time find an intact Super K--the one in Port Huron is grungy and worn-out, however the former Little Caesars Pizza Station is available as a seating area if you buy something from the deli (not kidding) they have what amounts to a handmade sign advertising this fact.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones on Gratiot/Frazho and Telegraph/8 Mile are the only Super K's I can find intact

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a Super K in Madison Heights also?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Isn't there a Super K in Madison Heights also?"

john r at 12 mile

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that gives Meijer and Target some friendly (albeit minimal) competition. :-)

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 20, 2008)

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the mall not to long ago. You could roll a bowling ball through there and not hit a soul. Tear it down, please!!

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closest SuperTarget is in Mishawaka IN by South Bend. There are also some in Indianapolis. They have had some teething problems, especially with groceries (the new Livonia Target was origninaly slated to be a Super Target). As the Meijer family says, it is a lot easier to add dry goods to a grocery store than vice versa, as freshness and presentation are more of an issue with groceries, especially meat and produce. Wal Mart has vastly improved their groceries over the last decade. I went to one of the first Wal-Mart Supercenters in Illinois in 1996, and it was Super Boring. Super Kmart was far better initially, but it really suffered in the bankruptcy (and it brought down its grocery suppliers as well).

The Value Cities in Westland and Taylor that were actually built as Value Cities will remain open, at least for now. They always seemed better to me. The shocking thing is that all three stores in Toledo as well as many others in Ohio are being closed. Value City has a much longer history in Ohio.

(Message edited by rooms222 on February 20, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.