Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bed and Breakfast « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings all,

Been away for a while (Afghanistan) and am home for a little while, before heading to Iraq. The question I have is what everyone thinks of the B&B market in Detroit?

I know of the Winder St, Ferry St etc, it seems that for a city the size of Detroit, Inn's are under represented.

There is a building that my wife and I are looking at and are doing research into the possibilities. It's something we've discussed doing over the years and prehaps the timing is right.

Looking for general thoughts, the location is on the east side, the building is the Stanton Castle.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers!!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 653
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas, are you talking about The Castle just off Jefferson in the Joseph Berry subdivision?

There used to be a B&B next door, The Blanch House, and they used the castle for weddings and such. My ex-wife and I almost rented it for our wedding.

I recall the Blanch used to host retreats for women's clubs and such. I talked to Sean, the owner's son, and he said they did fairly well, but his mother was retiring due to health concerns.

Good luck in your future endeavor.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72,

That is the building in question, it could be used as a residence, but I don't know what I would do with the space, but as an Inn, it has possibilities.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be a big hit! Not as much visibility as the Inn on Winder or Ferry st, but still a great location and really nice old house with a lot of character.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas,

Maybe you could live in the carriage house or the 3rd floor and use the rest for an inn? I certainly think it is a great idea and would recommend it to people I know.

Also, with all the drama going on down the street at the Manoogian, you could rent rooms to the press!(j/k)

I hope it works out for you.

Also, good luck and be safe in Iraq. I salute you.

Detroitej72

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's a great building and a good candidate for what you're thinking...maybe if you did upscale with spa treatments, etc...retreat type amenities you could grab a niche. echoing Detroitej72 - good luck and best wishes...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I was a kid, I lived in the neighborhood and worked for the owner, Mary Jean Shannon - i did lawn mowing and such. Actually, I thought I heard that she passed away due to cancer - may she rest in peace. She was a pretty interesting person, and cool to work for. She owned three homes there. The Blanche House Inn, The Castle, and the home next door which she was rehabbing. The homes have canal access, so it could be a B&B for boaters... just an idea... the neighborhood is hella safe. I'd be happy to answer any questions you had about the place. My folks still live in the same 'hood.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would love to see Stanton Castle put to good use. It has been sitting and deteriorating for far too long!!

And isn't the owner of the former Blanche House Inn in the process of opening a B&B and day spa there as well?

Good luck with the decision. And be safe!!

Pmb
Username: Pmb

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget the Woodbridge Star B&B!

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on the Woodbridge Star... The hosts are wonderful and the building is lovely.

I am not sure whether or not the Detroit B&B market is saturated yet. Good luck if you decide to pursue it!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a very nice B&B in Corktown..I think on Bagley...owned by two men..Chet Allen and Richard something. Each room had a theme. Anyone know the place I'm talking about? Is it still in operation?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grumpy, I think you are referring to the Corktown B&B, which was in the big old house on the corner of Michigan and Sixth. Great house, but it was sold and is no longer a B&B.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I stayed at the Blanche House for our wedding anniversary about 10 years ago. We had a wonderful time. The staff was so warm and friendly. There was a wedding next door at the Castle. After having dinner at the Harlequin Cafe we came back to the house and were sitting outside on the front porch. Listening to the sounds of the neighborhood and smelling the roses from the huge bushes around the property was intoxicating. It took me back to my childhood and being in my old neighborhood. People from the wedding saw us sitting on the porch and came over and invited us to the wedding. The wedding was so personal and charming. Candles were lit all around the property, music was playing, guests were dancing, mingling and sitting outdoors. Everyone was enjoying themselves. It was a very romantic and perfect way to spend our anniversary.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.