Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Leopold Bros. Closing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all the Ann Arborites on the board, Leopold Bros. is closing up shop in June and moving to Denver.

http://www.annarborisoverrated .com/2008/02/04/leopolds-leavi ng/

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF! woah!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So when I read this I was thinking, must be the economy. But then they said

"This move has zero to do with the economy"

Must be the location (it is kind out of restaurant and bar areas), but then they said:

"or sales levels

Yet then they go back and say:

"The business climate isn’t one that we can survive, however."

Sounds kind of strange, which is it?

Regardless, its a shame they couldn't find another location. But rents are out of control. The landlord is about to find out what a huge mistake they've made. Good luck renting out that crap location.

Leopold's was great. I wish them all the best.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners are moving Leopold's operations to Denver. Their rent has apparently tripled over the past decade which certainly sucks. But rent for a similarly trendy location with similar traffic will be just as high or higher in Denver. Unless you're in an exurb strip mall or an "undiscovered" neighborhood, Denver oozes trendy with real estate prices to match. It might be cheaper than the coasts, but it's no cheaper than Ann Arbor. Like many, the Leopold owners might actually be coveting one of those idyllic mountain ski village locations for their business which would admittedly fit in quite well. But if they can't handle $30/ft in Ann Arbor, it's unlikely they can handle the triple digit per/ft prices in the mountains.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can’t say i’ll miss their beer much, but it’s always too bad to lose a brewery and a local business.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it's just the consequence of a bad economy. First, the jobs leave, then the money, then the retail.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on February 05, 2008)

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leopold Brothers produced liqueurs and liquors, I don’t know what is up with their beer selection these days, or even if they make their own beer anymore.
Their Hefeweisen was my favorite and I sold it at the club I was at as well.

The brothers were originally from Colorado maybe they’re homesick. They are however pretty outspoken that the reason for moving is the rent.

I’ve been in Leopold’s several times and enjoyed myself.

I think making their own liquors and liqueurs was a unique idea and shifted their focus from beer to liquor.
Prices were high on the liquor, almost as high as ordering a Goose or Belvedere.

Another message board…

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/p rofile/2979/?view=beerfly

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to agree with Jtw. I was there once and not impressed enough to go back. The places I really miss have been gone for years. Liberty Inn, Del Rio, and The City Grill.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 942
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Pretzel Bell, Dds, or the original Metzgers? I miss those places too.

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leopold Bros. beer is pretty awful. I like almost any variety of beer, and I have had decent beer there once or twice, but most of the time it is mediocre to downright lousy. I had a porter there one time that I couldn't even finish (which is unheard of if you knew me!) The atmosphere in the place was pretty cool though.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 541
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about the Pretzel Bell, Dds, or the original Metzgers? I miss those places too.

Pretzel Bell was before my time in AA, it had already turned into, if I remember correctly, the Denny's (which was short-lived) and I hung out at the Heidelberg. (was it called Metzgers Black Forest?)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.