Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Building @ 7 Mile/Greenview near Southfield Freeway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was this building? It looks like it used to be a nursing home or hospital of some type. Anybody have any history on it?

Thanks

P.S.: My apologies if there is already a thread on this. Please up any existing thread.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Arnold Home. Was an extended care facility. There's a thread on it somewhere here, but I can't seem to find it.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray. Anybody else? Can anyone else find the thread in question?

Mikefive
Username: Mikefive

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/114316.html

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikefive.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP, I worked at the Arnold Home as a dishwasher/porter in 1969-70. It's at a different location than the Borman Hall, which I believe was just for Jewish residents. There were TV 2 news stories on the place being victimized by scrappers this past summer.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this place was never Borman Hall??

If not, where was Borman Hall located?

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman.....What was the name of the "old peoples home" on Pierson just south of Pickford?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gawd, I know that home. A friend of mine worked there for years. But I'll be damned if I can remember the name.

Dannyv

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cmubryan, the Borman Hall was located on the north side of 7 Mile just west of Sunderland. Borman Hall was built in the late 60s, much later than the Arnold Home.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is Borman Hall torn down?

Cmubryan

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is Borman Hall torn down?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4724
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"56packman.....What was the name of the "old peoples home" on Pierson just south of Pickford?"
Sorry to butt in, but that was the King's Sons and Daughters Home for the Aged..

(Funny how much I remember from my days as a pizza handbill distributor for PDQ/Harvey's Pizza)

Dannyv

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there's nothing on that block, north of 7 Mile/west of Sunderland, then Borman Hall was torn down.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv, it might still be there because I see there is a building there. Saturday I might take pictures of the area.

As for the Arnold Home, I wish someone could have bought that building and made it into an apartment complex or something. I can't think of anything else it could be that would succeed in that location.

Dannyv

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP, The Borman Hall was a more recent construction than the Arnold Home. It's a shame that no one could be found to rehab the Arnold Home, as you suggest. The news stories on Fox 2 News told the story of neighbors to the Arnold Home calling the police about the scrappers but receiving no response. It's only a misdemeanor and no one is in danger so I guess it gets prioritized out of the system. Scott Lewis did go into the Arnold Home, as part of his story, and busted a couple of girls who were equipped with bolt cutters and other heavy tools.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.