Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » My most memorable bikes rides of 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just made a blog entry of my most memorable bike rides from last year. All but one of the rides occurred in Detroit. There are some photos linked to some of them as well. Some rides were just crazy long, some were nostalgic, and some were just touching.
http://www.allyeargear.com/blo g/2008/02/04/my-12-most-memora ble-rides-of-2007/

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's beautiful, Fishtoes2000. Thanks for sharing.

I hope you someday get to meet back up with the Windmills of Your Mind lady. If not, I'm sure she will always appreciate the simple fact you were there.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow great post, I couldn't even imagine biking 70 miles. I thought I was extreme from riding with friends from my home in GP to Belle Isle and back haha. Outside of that I've never really biked in Detroit, I mainly just head down Jefferson through St. Clair Shores and whatnot, any other good places to bike through Detroit?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you ever ride in the Alley Cat or Coaster races in Detroit? Those are guaranteed to always be memorable. I was thrown over the handle bars of my bike in two of the Alley Cats in the past year. I managed to squeeze by with a victory in Detroit's first Coaster race, though, seizing the title (and t-shirt that read) "Fastest Drunk in Detroit." Any bikers out there should join the fun.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool, Fishtoes!

Ever ride the MS150?

(btw, boblo pictures link has an extra http: in front)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 405
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

boblo pictures link has an extra http: in front

Thanks. I just fixed it. Nope, never ridden the MS150.

quote:

you ever ride in the Alley Cat or Coaster races in Detroit? Those are guaranteed to always be memorable.

I did in '06 but not last year. I agree. Those are so much fun. It's a fun group of people too.

quote:

I've never really biked in Detroit, I mainly just head down Jefferson through St. Clair Shores and whatnot, any other good places to bike through Detroit?

I'll admit that I know the west side of Detroit much better than the east. I do get over the the Chandler Park area now and then. There are a lot of great, quiet neighborhoods around there. Another idea would be to ride with the Wolverines. They have a few east side rides listed here. http://www.lmb.org/wsc/html/ri des.html There are also some out of the Cadieux Cafe. I'm not sure if they are run this time of year though.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swgz31, check out Slow Spokes and the Clinton River Riders.

Both seem local to you and have lots of rides.

http://slowspokes.org/

http://www.lmb.org/crr/

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for a great read Fishtoes2000. You have a nice writing style, and if you don't mind my saying so, you're a bit nuts. The Leadville 100 run looks insane.

If your ever in Port Huron the ride from the city up to Lexington and back along Lakeshore (M25) is a relatively flat and a very scenic 50 miler.

As far as running goes are you doing any local races? I'm doing the Trail Marathon in Pinkney this April for my first Marathon. Any chance you'll be there?

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad and his fellow Tenth Mountain Division soldiers hiked the Leadville 100 route as part of their training at Camp Hale during WWII.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If your ever in Port Huron the ride from the city up to Lexington and back along Lakeshore (M25) is a relatively flat and a very scenic 50 miler.

I'd like to try that sometime. I actually wouldn't mind riding the entire thumb sometime. A group of us once rode to Caseville to camp and watch fireworks. We rode home the next day and it rained nearly the entire way. It was real ugly.

Well, I had hoped to do the trail marathon this year, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for it. It's a great race and a fun crowd. You picked a toughie for your first marathon. The hills get steeper and longer on that second lap! The scenery is great and that helps the miles go by quicker than on the road -- at least that's been my experience.

Right now my only plans are to run Leadville again.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.