Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » HBO The Wire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eaglelv
Username: Eaglelv

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed that the HBO show "The Wire" could be written from the daily headlines of the saga of the City of Detroit. Last night they used the term "the city of Baltimore was the personal ATM machine of the Mayor"... I swear I read that in the Freep about King K.
Comments?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HBO - the wire?

That's how we used to get HBO for free back in the day (Fetzer CATV in Kalamazoo).

Hang a 44-inch piece of antenna wire from back of television, then trim wire to perfect the signal.

How ironic.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3760
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does seem similar to our fair city, maybe they read the freep for ideas

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the same thing when the season started.

(Message edited by leland_palmer on February 05, 2008)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 562
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It gives a very gritty idea of what inner city life is like. Pretty depressing but interesting to watch.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great show, one of my personal favorites, sadly I was kinda comparing it to Detroit as well...

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been watching the Wire for a number of years and it seems like Detroit. Even when I went to B-more it seemed like home.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best show ever. No doubt.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I indicated on the Mayor's thread that when one of my friends last week was praising The Wire, I told him, "I don't have to watch the show. In Detroit, I live The Wire everyday.

Eaglelv

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshawn
Did Omar survive the jump out that window in the most recent episode?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 567
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, ya. omar starts back at marlo this week. comcast on demand.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Eaglelv

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian
Omar is like Chuck Norris on steroids!
When Omar busts a cap in yo a$$, its felt 3 generations down the line.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you believe Omar shot and killed by the little kid Kennard?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of like how Jesse James and Wild Bill Hickok got killed.
Clay Davis may be Kwame.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey... for us that watch the show and haven't been up to speed on the current episodes.. please don't spoil it for us :-D

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man I was just talking about that shit, that has been a source of frustration all day with me and my Wire obsessed friends. But as soon as they showed that little bastard not running when Omar passed by I knew it.

And yes Clay Davis is definitely Kwame.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on February 18, 2008)

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last season was classic when the guy on the security detail walked in on the mayor getting head in the office. Now that was a Detroit moment...

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, That was funny as hell. Last episode when Clay was in court and giving that radio interview all I kept thinking is this is Kwame and/or Alonzo Bates on the stand right here. Play the race card it will set you free.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Omar dead for sure? That would be a cheap ending for the shows best character.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live by the gun...

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redvetred-

Did you say that Omar was shot and killed by Kennard? Is he a friend of Michaels'? I don't think that I have ran into him.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is not as good of a liar as the senator. Kwame is too 70's "Super Fly". You can see right through him. I am wondering about that dancer, "Strawberry" and Carlita. Supposedly, Carlita put her in the hospital....according to one of the policemen that sued the city. I wonder if she (Strawberry) was going to sue Carlita and the city. This is motive.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah he is on Micheal's corner the short foul mouthed one who Micheal beat up last season. He's like 12.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omar gets killed by Cheeze. And Cheeze get killed by Slim Charles.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Cheese may get killed by Slim but Omar is undoubtedly dead because of Kennard.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just 2 more episodes to go.....

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But as soon as they showed that little bastard not running when Omar passed by I knew it.

Did you see what he was doing to that cat when Omar walked by? That kid didn't flinch. I bet Kannard lit the match before going after Omar.

Vantanna
Username: Vantanna

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the ideas were culled right from Det headlines.

In fact, Norice (City Council) fashioned after Sharon McPhail.
Bill Murphy-Crim Defense Lawyer - Corneilus Pitts.
Frmr. Mayor Royce - Mixture of Clyde Cleveland, Various Council members.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 619
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's going down next?
Clue..pick Michael or Snoop.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PLOT SPOILER:

Michael nails Snoop on the way to an attempted ambush for Michael.

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How my hair look, main?"

"You look good girl"

BANG.

Thats classic.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PLEASE DO NOT POST SPOILERS ABOUT AN ONGOING SHOW.

Not everyone has seen the latest episodes, and they don't appreciate having the damn thing ruined by dumb comments.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.