Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Photo du Jour poster earns wider respect « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

x
Hearty congrats across the river to active forumer Aiw (aka Andrew In Windsor and, more personally, Andrew Foot) for snagging the No. 2 spot in the Best Local Blog category of the Canadian Blog Awards for his evocative, thoroghly researched International Metropolis – an architecture and history site that enlightens and entertains many of us who click on Photo du Jour links posted here.

He was eked out of first place by a neighbouring site, WindsorEats. In an online poll, they placed ahead of two Toronto blogs and one from Vancouver.

"Any of the blogs that have made the top five in their category are among the best in the country (and perhaps the world)," says a statement about the judging.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6099
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atta boy, eh.
But when do we get PDJ back here again?

jjaba, drinking his tea and scones with clotted cream.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6532
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Realitycheck.

It was quite an honor. I was nominated along with many others, and seeing as my site was in the top 5 following round one (round one was open to any site), I moved on to the finals.

I was up against some tough competition, and some very popular other sites, from much larger population centers than Windsor (Toronto and Vancouver).

For me the biggest compliment came from a Toronto Blogger named James Bow, who reviewed all the nominees on his site: http://bowjamesbow.ca/2008/01/ 29/the-greatest-ca-7.shtml

In reviewing the category I was nominated in he wrote:

quote:

Best Local Blog
Contenders: International Metropolis, blogTO, Miss604, Spacing Toronto, WindsorEats FoodBlog

Local blogs really represent cities as bloggers; they can be as diverse and eclectic as individual bloggers, and that’s the case here. Compare Spacing Toronto with its urban planning tilt and activist ethic with the wider ranging blogTO and you’ll see what I mean. It’s good to see Vancouver represented with Miss 604, and WindsorEats strikes me as the little local blog that could. International Metropolis mines the relationship between Windsor and its cross-river cousin Detroit.

Who Should Win: International Metropolis. I nominated Spacing Wire, and they have an excellent blog and an excellent magazine, but I was blown away by this Windsor-Detroit blog. It’s an unusual subject, well written, and excellently designed. It deserves your attention.

To me a review like that was even better than winning any award.

Jjaba, the Photo Du Jour is online every day, cruise on over and check it out: http://internationalmetropolis .com

I don't really need to post a link here every day for you to follow do I? :-)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes you have to post here, we are lazy.
Good work, congrats

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats, AIW! Well deserved!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10090
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations. Now move ahead and grab that #1 spot for next year.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations AIW! Never knew your blog existed so I took your suggestion to Jjaba and cruised onto the site. Good job on the Walker Road pics. Gosh, aren't we all looking forward to when that project is completed! And I loved looking at some of the old postcards too.

Your site is now in my favs so I can keep a check on your work!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, geesh, way to add pressure!

AIW, congrats! Well deserved!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10095
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks can't rest on the laurels can they? :-)

Realitycheck

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

move ahead and grab that #1 spot for next year.

With our votes, Andrew definitely can move up . . . so please do post a link here when '08 balloting begins, Aiw. No need for modesty among forum friends.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the eeeeeekster tosses his hat into the "Congratulations" ring.

hat in ring

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, that news started my day off with a smile! :-) Congrats, Aiw.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to you, Mr. AIW on your big honor. You have earned a free ride on the Winsome to Zug Island. Bring your passport. But no more cameras.
I'm not sure that Security Guard is a Blog man. One hand on his long-powered binoculars, the other raised high and curled in a fist, you would think we had done something illegal.

Aiw

Post Number: 6533
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone... I will post a link when the '08 balloting begins.

Between the photo exhibition at the Art Gallery of Windsor, the publication of the accompaning book, and now this "award", it's been a pretty busy and satisfying last year.

:-)

(Message edited by aiw on February 06, 2008)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to go eh

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats AIW. And event hough I do not like Midcentury architecture I bought your book anyways, well done BTW.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6104
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Send jjaba the Windsor Modern book. He'll pay ya what you ask, in USD. Congratulations, eh.

As a loyalist to The Froum, jjaba sure hopes AIW posts here more regularly, although your own website is pretty.

jjaba, Westsider.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW: Didn't know about the book. Is it for sale in Chapters at the Devonshire Mall? What about at the Gallery?

Aiw

Post Number: 6534
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, it's not available locally in shops currently. The Art Gallery was supposed to purchase a few copies to stock in the gift shop, but that hasn't happend yet.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested in a copy. andrew@internationalmetropolis .com

Aiw

Post Number: 6555
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Windsor Star picked up on the story. It ran in today's print edition:

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=0821682 e-ae47-48bc-a53b-9fa1574c1ce7& k=28124

Realitycheck

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats yet again, Mr. 'Accomplished Photographer'!

Amusing to see Traditional Media take nine -- count 'em, nine -- days to report on national recognition of four local New Media counterparts. Ironic and revealing pace for a daily paper, methinks.

But hey, never too late for well-earned coverage, Andrew. Hear, hear!

Aiw

Post Number: 6556
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah well last year they ran an article about how bloggers are loney people who have no life, after a local blogger blasted the Star on his blog. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.