Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Armed robbery in Ferndale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/15235891/detail.html

Why would the victims wait a day before reporting?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds kind of fishy. why the heck wouldn't you pull out that cell phone right away after the thief left?

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird. And it took place on Bermuda and Breckenridge at 1pm on a Sunday? How did that manage to unfold? In a neighborhood as dense and "observant" as Ferndale, it takes a lot of balls to pull out the semi-auto and rob someone in the middle of the day.

Maybe the No-Snitchin' movement is in effect and I missed the city memo.

Plus they heard the robbers conversation as he walked away? But didn't manage to see a car pick him up? I guess I would be scared if I had a gun pulled on me in what I think is a safe neighborhood. But this sounds crazy. Cops are always on the cruise through this neighborhood.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was literally two blocks from the police station.

If the victims didn't have a phone, why wouldn't they run to the police station and inform them of what happened?

And the robber kept walking north on Bermuda? The victims, too, had to walk north on Bermuda to get home.

This doesn't make much sense.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"sounds kind of fishy. why the heck wouldn't you pull out that cell phone right away after the thief left?"

Sometimes it's as simple as the fact that you don't want to draw to much attention for a perceived fear of a 'retaliation' if the thug is a member of a gang or something. I saw a gun pulled on someone in front of my home here in Charlotte. The police didn't come with their lights flashing, but rather came by to ask me a few questions quietly in an unmarked vehicle...

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they were just freaked out about it and didn't know what to do. If you pursue or try to fight the scumbag, things could get a lot worse.
Like for this couple.
My husband was carjacked by two punks with an Uzi last summer. He ran home and broke into our house to call 911, then me. I reminded him that there were three bars within two blocks of the crime scene that are frequented by off-duty Detroit cops, why didn't he go there? He was freaked out, that was why.

Brian_no_5
Username: Brian_no_5

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing "1 p.m." should actually be "1 a.m." Who walks home from a bar at 1 p.m. on Sunday?

Yeah, I don't think I would immediately pull out a cell phone when someone has a gun.

"Is this the Ferndale police? I was just robbed at gun point on Bermuda and Breckenridge.... Yeah, I can describe him, he's only about 30 feet away, and he's walking north now... No, wait. No, he's walking back this way... Yeah, he's walking south directly toward me... Do you want me to ask him for his name or anything? ... No, I don't think he wants to give me his name... And now I've been shot. Yes, that's right, I'm dying... Okay, I think he wants to talk to you..."

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you pursue or try to fight the scumbag, things could get a lot worse.
Like for this couple.

And there are plenty more examples of victims who comply with the demands of an armed robber and offer no resistance and still end up with a bullet in their head for their troubles.

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4984
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possible theory:
They were buying drugs from the guy, or doing something else nefarious. They didn't call the police until the next day, or walk to the nearby police station, because they had something to hide themselves. Only a theory.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds fishy to me too. I've been the victim of an armed robbery and the first thing I wanted was the police. Actually, that was the second thing. The first thing I wanted was for the guy to move the gun away from my head.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5097
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a more detailed version of this story in Woodward Talk yesterday. The odd discrepencies continue:

quote:

FERNDALE — In the early morning hours of Feb. 3, a Ferndale couple was reportedly robbed at gunpoint on Bermuda Street while walking home from the Emory on Woodward Avenue.

According to a statement issued by Detective Lt. Bill Wilson, there were some discrepancies in the reports filed by the 34-year-old woman and her boyfriend, a 34-year-old Ferndale man.

The couple was walking back to the man’s house on Lewiston Street at either 1 a.m. or 2:20 a.m. to meet a group of friends who were at the Emory with them. They were heading north on the west side of Bermuda from Breckenridge Street when the woman noticed someone in dark clothing following them.

The area was not well-lit, so she thought the person might be one of their friends from the bar. When she realized that she did not know the person, she attempted to make small talk but received no response.

As the couple then passed the apartments on Bermuda just north of Breckenridge, the suspect began walking quickly, approached them and said, “What do you got for me?” He held a handgun near his hip and pointed it at them.

The suspect demanded that the man empty his pockets and that he give him the rings he was wearing. The man refused to give up his rings but handed over a pack of Marlboro cigarettes and $12 in cash. The suspect never looked at or spoke to the woman during the confrontation.

The couple then observed the suspect leaving the area, going northbound on Bermuda. They saw him make a call on his cell phone and heard him tell the person on the other end his location to be picked up. As the suspect approached Bermuda and Lewiston, they lost sight of him.

The crime was not reported to Ferndale police until Feb. 4 because the woman said she did not think to call 911 when the incident occurred.

According to the woman, the suspect is a black male, about 16 or 17 years old, approximately 6 feet tall and clean-shaven. He was wearing a dark jacket with a hood and armed with a silver handgun with black grips.

The man’s description of the suspect was slightly different: a black male in his early 20s, about 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet tall, approximately 150 to 175 pounds and with an earring in his left ear. He said the suspect was wearing a light-colored jacket with dark writing and a baseball hat and that he carried a black handgun.

Wilson said that police are still investigating the crime. Anyone with information regarding the incident should call the Ferndale Police Department at (248) 541-3650.

http://www.candgnews.com/Homep age-Articles/2008/02-06-08/FC- ROBBERYWEB.asp

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5170
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

FERNDALE — In the early morning hours of Feb. 3, a Ferndale couple was reportedly robbed at gunpoint on Bermuda Street while walking home from the Emory on Woodward Avenue.

According to a statement issued by Detective Lt. Bill Wilson, there were some discrepancies in the reports filed by the 34-year-old woman and her boyfriend, a 34-year-old Ferndale man.

What's a couple like that doing in Ferndale anyway?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5098
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably being part of the 95% of the population of the city that isn't homosexual.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's a couple like that doing in Ferndale anyway?"

Gee, next thing you know Livernoisyard will wonder what white people are doing in Detroit...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfully descriptive for an area that wasn't all that well lit...

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I lived there I would move out. Thank goodness I am safe in my Detroit neighborhood.

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also another armed robbery the other day, too, in Ferndale at Allen and Troy.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm... this would douse the talk of the evicted tenant barricading himself in his room...

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080218/NEWS01/ 802180365/1003/NEWS01

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5155
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Oops, wrong thread. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.