Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone going to the fisher building tour tomorrow? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just curious if any other forumers will be there. this history nerd be there with dear husband and parents in tow. (:

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more info?

Mrsprunk

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its a scheduled "behind the scenes" tour thru the detroit historical society. i believe it is sold out.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Prunk: I'll be on the 11am tour. (They oversold it and so split it into two tours, the other at 1pm.) I'll wear my DetroitYES badge. See you tomorrow!

Mrsprunk

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey kathleen...we will be on the 11am tour too. i will look for ya! (:

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be on the 1:00 tour.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fisher Building needs an observation deck

<313>

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. I would love to be there!. Let us know how in depth they go into the theater and lobby. I know the theater (mayan part)was destroyed but wondering if the 9 story lobby celing still exists under the newer one. (GISTOK?).

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't be there.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3462
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to go but it sold out too fast. Please post some pics here Kathleen.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to meet Mrs. Prunk and husband and parents at the Fisher Building tour today.

As always, the DHS does a nice job. In fact, they had so many people sign up for the tour that they split the group into two tours, 11am and 1pm.

I will post a few photos on Sunday, mostly detail shots. For some definitive photos, I recommend the Fisher Building posts on DetroitFunk taken by Mauser. There are 5 parts, plus a separate Building Info post.

Part 1:
http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/02/fisher_building_pt1.html

Then link to the subsequent parts and finally building info.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6280
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to say Exmotowner, but nearly every piece of the old Mayanesque plasterwork was ripped out when they did the 1961 theatre reconstruction.

Funny thing that... the old Fisher had 2,975 seats, and when they ripped out the old plaster shell, they shrank the theatre shell down to only 2,089 seats. Now with the impending theatre remodeling, they plan on adding a few hundred more seats again.

The new Fisher does have a lot of dead space behind its' shell, and there is one Mayan style wall left somewhere in the building. Michael Hauser or Jim Luzenski would know where that is, but it is off limits to the public.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this post towards the bottom are current photos of the Fisher Theater taken during the highschool musical thing that was there recently.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 7/07/hockeyfoxfisher.html

Kathleen

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few photos from yesterday's Fisher Building tour:

Detail from the Boulevard bronze doors designed by Hungarian artist Geza Maroti

Cherub

Detail from one of three mosaics designed by Maroti

Mosaic

From the 3rd floor balconies, you can see the beautiful ceiling and wall details

arch

archdetail

moredetail

ceiling

lamp

Fisher Theatre

lobbyStatue

60sWall

City Knits

wallOfColor

2ndFloorView

This place is a marvel....you could spend hours taking in all the beautiful works of art and design.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6284
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the great pics Kathleen!

That pic of the back wall of the theatre with the theatre seats is well.... garish!

Theatre Historical Society's 1995 Marquee periodical on Detroit theatres had this to say of the new Fisher...

"The 1961 remodeling was so much a product if its' time that it is more dated than the 1928 interior would have been had it survived. Although the new Fisher took on a much tamer appearance, it was an expensive remodeling, and is made of quality materials."

Now it makes one wonder what the next reincarnation of the Fisher will be like after the (IIRC) $3.75 million rehab.

It would be nice if the one old surviving wall of the old Mayanesque Fisher were to be disassembled and reassembled for viewing elsewhere.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Kathleen. Nice pics.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 609
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful pics.

Thank you

<313>

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful pictures of a grand building. It's been 33 years since I've been inside, but it looks as beautiful as I remember. The only two things that would be better would be to fly back and look at it in person again, and get a chocolate Coke at Shetler's Drugs....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.