Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hi everyone! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone i am new to the forum but have always known about and happy to be on!

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4988
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Umbound. Are you planning on going to MSU?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4414
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome. How refreshing to see such a friendly introductory post and nothing too strange or extreme. Do you live in Detroit? And does your screen name having anything to do with going to UM?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5039
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meet John Lodge, resident smart ass

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4989
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No actually I live out in West Bloomfield right now and I turn twenty on tuesday, after OCC i will be attending UofM once finished so i can live by myself (hell yeah!), just one question, are there any other chaldeans on here or am i the only one now?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 467
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UMbound,

That doesn't matter. Your parents will be dropping in on you, unannounced, every other weekend!

NMU '87, '88 (MBA). My parents called and warned me before they drove 8 hours! My sister (UM) and brother (WMU); they'd just show up unannounced!

Thatgirl
Username: Thatgirl

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that ass smoking a joint?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4416
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice, JohnLodge.

Umbound, congrats on getting in. I followed a similar route, transferring in from Wayne State. You won't regret it. Except now I am UM out-bound, about to graduate.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aaahhhh....fond memories of pretty women and lots of beer @ UM. Stop it now, you're making me feel old.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11545
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought nine out of ten women in the big ten were gorgeous EXCEPT...

Umbound

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mackinaw!, but i am still at OCC getting credits in but i am going to major in Architecture, hey has anybody ever been to the Citgo gas station at seven and southfield?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4417
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kevgoblu tells no lies.

Never been, Umbound, but you'll find that I have a strong eastside bias.

Architecture is a great field. Very cool.

Umbound

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father has a liquor store on the eastside its on Hoover between 7 and 8 mile, its called Hoover Market. I hope one day to become the next Albert Khan and design something in Detroit but my love for the city is slowly fading though...

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, welcome to the forum.

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Umbound,
"Post #1" Pretty cool! Do you have any pictures of the city that you can post?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 642
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an architecture student why Albert Khan? I find its best not to be the next anything except yourself, you will find yourself alot happier that way. And do you mind if I ask why your love for the city is fading? To end good luck and I only hope that you enjoy your time at UM in the architecture school as much as I do at UDM.

(Message edited by 6nois on February 09, 2008)

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Umbound. Good luck with your education. I believe I've recently been to the Citgo station you mentioned. If its the station on the SW corner. I dont pay attention to the brand.

Umbound

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well 6nois i am just fed up of working in my dads liquor store's because of the dangers of working with crackheads, murderers and dirty racist cops everyday and just working in the city. Now my dad and mom want me and my siblings to go to school and leave the city, i used to want to want to come back and TRY and make the city better after i get my degree, but overall the city really does not like my people to so why bother? oh and Alfie my dad owns that Citgo at 7 and Southfield but its NE corner...

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you Umbound. Welcome and get ready for the incoming!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Khaaaaan!
Khan

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry about your choice UM,

you could have done much better,

GO GREEN

6nois

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well take sometime and get away, but make sure you don't just turn your back on the city, which can be an astounding place. A place that is architecturally relevant, and presents choices of amazing scope within the field.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Q. How do you tell someone went to UofM?

A. They will tell you within 5 minutes of meeting them.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4422
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with 6nois.

Not living in the city has only made me want to get back more, and appreciate when I can go there.

I would say that being like Kahn is a pretty good plan.

Umbound

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean 6nois, i do photography and i have gone to a lot of places in Detroit to take photos and loved it every time and i love the old style's of many nieghborhoods, that is what i want to do but this city just honestly disappointed me so many times i am fed up with it. Also is there anybody on here my age?

6nois

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess that I am around your age but you never said how old you are.

Umbound

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am twenty years old as of yesterday. What about you?

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday!

I think you'll find a new appreciation for the Architecture of Detroit and it's surroundings as you dig deeper into your education.

Best of luck!

6nois

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am twenty as well.

Umbound

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well i at work at the Citgo at 7 and southfield 6nois so stop in sometime when you see a green Envoy then...

6nois

Post Number: 653
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do. As for the time being I should probably go work on structures.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you say "overall the city really does not like my people" I wonder if you're filtering your view through the various crackheads and not-too-bright racists you encounter on the job. That could skew your perception a bit.
I'd guess everybody here is totally cool with the Chaldean community. And most aren't crackheads from what I can gather. :-)

Umbound

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are like 60% percent right Diehard its so much more i can say but i don to want to say it on the forum thats why, but i understand what you mean i have heard stuff like "Dis business should be ran by our peoples, not yo's people its our neighborhood" The only ones that say that are the Elderly people and the middle aged people.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.