Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Amato's Restaurant on Wyoming « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Skulmaty
Username: Skulmaty

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings! First post.
Does anyone remember Amato's on Wyoming between Ford and Warren? Great pizza and Italian dishes. Also the best garlic toast I've ever tasted. My dad used to go there in the 50s and it was there thru the mid 80s? Is the building still there?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it's gone, as is Zubok's. But I definitely remember it, it was THE place for special dates for Mackites.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11533
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Middle son of the family hangs around downtown, I was between him and his younger sister at St. Alphonsus.

I haven't looked at it recently, but the building is still there. I believe it is a Middle Eastern store now.

Between them and Liberati's on Oakman, the neighborhood had some great Italian dinners.

Thanks for the reminder of that garlic toast...funny how some memories linger, huh?

Welcome.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go there when we were in Chadsey. I also remember when Liberati opened in 1957. The mother worked in the restaurant up until her death. Her son Eddie still makes a great pizza that I go out of my way to pick up.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7610
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Lord, my Mom worked there in the late 50's-early 60's.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it burned down years ago, also wasn't there a small cafe right next door? Grandparents and Aunt and Uncle lived right across the street, but they have been gone for 30 years.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work over there near wyoming between ford and warren where was it near. dearborn steel, cas's coney???

Gannon

Post Number: 11550
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

Jeff's friend Mark is that son of the old owners...if you remember when I bumped into him at the Saloon!

Cheers

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5100
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother lived very near there until five years ago. Isn't there still a diner or small restaurant on the east side of Wyoming? Not much else though and plenty of empty lots or vacant or slightly used buildings.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cass coney is the small restaurant. there is a new strip of stores and a new oil change place built this year on that strip of wyoming. As well as a couple new homes.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Amato's and Liberati's
Huge Fordson and St. Als hangouts.
Didn't they have a "fire" at Amato's that forced its ultimate closure?

Leo B

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loeb and Skulmaty, Amato's on Wyoming burned in the late 80's early 90's. I was working at Squad 3 on Wyoming & Eagle at the time, the fire came in around 9 or 10 am and possibly had been burning all nite cause the roof came in real fast.

Not sure if Liberati's and the Copper Mug on Miller are still in business.

I retired in Jan 2002 from Engine 4 on Schaefer and Haggerty

Gannon

Post Number: 11558
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birwood,

Leob and I went to school with D.Baker, Sheehan, and J.Ewing...dunno if they are still around Dearborn saving lives. Good guys, all.

Thanks for the info.

Ticub

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberati is still in business and Eddie makes a great pizza.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amato's is definitely gone. It was connected directly to Cass's (Kass's?) Coney Island. We used to go there for lunch all the time. In fact, I didn't even realize the coney was there until Amato's disappeared.

There is a Liberati's on Allen Rd. Same owners?

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon and Leob you guys will be happy to know that the St. Al's Mafia is alive and well within the ranks of the DFD

Gannon

Post Number: 11577
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it no surprise that these fellows have achieved some sort of notoriety?!

Watch that Baker, he's a genius. Fucker always scored ONE POINT higher than me on every national test we ever took!

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work on Wyoming and McGraw and you to frequently go to Amato's. Used to see Dick Purtan there several times.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5122
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, when did it close or burn down or whatever? I've been here eleven years and never noticed anything next to the coney on that SE corner. Never saw much traffic at that place either. The Burger King across the street was usually always busy, though.

Ticub

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Liberati's on Allen Rd. Same owners?

Eddie and his brother Tulio worked at Liberati's Dearborn when it first opened in 1957. Tulio moved to Allen Park in the 80's (?). He opened up the one on Allen Road in the 90's, I'm guessing. His son now runs the place on Allen Rd. We stop in both places on occasion.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday dinner at Amatos was at least a twice a month stop after church. I was young, but I remember learning to love Italian food beyond spaghetti at Amatos.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the corner of W. Warren and Wyoming there is a BP gas station just converted from a Sunoco. Next to the gas station on the Lonyo corner is an auto repair/oil change place. On the Wyoming side is a newly built oil change place not open.Down rom them is Kass coney island and right next door to Kass a strip mini mall was built late last year but no spaces are rented at all. Looks like it will be empty for a long time.
Dearborn is saturated with mini strip malls. Kass's building was ricked to match the brick on the strip mall. On the Burger King side across from the BP is an unfinished gas station,(guess the money ran out). There's an auction sale sign in front of it now but looks like nobody bought it. The sale date was for sometime last year. I've lived in the area for more than 40 years and remember Amato's and the fire but I don't recall when that happened. Amato's sign stayed up long for awhile after the building was torn down, looking quite lonely.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5136
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stretch on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn from Oakman to Greenfield has an increasing number of new vacant lots or buildings with For Sale or Lease signs. While occasionally taking the bus to visit my mother in Westland, I take the time to notice any new closed places.

My uncle was asked three or four years ago if he cared to repurchase his old store at Lois and Michigan, but he didn't want it. It's still vacant. The two buildings west of it were demoed and are now vacant lots to add to the old vacant lot(s) to the west of that.

Further east on Michigan, the old demoed building a block west of Central was replaced by a partially built store, and somebody there at the bus stop told me that the owner (also of the demoed gas station a block further west), built another store where the gas station was but that too is vacant. Guess his money or luck ran out. There is a new pizza place across the street, though.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on February 12, 2008)

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clotilde Amato came to Detroit in the '40's and opened Amato's with her husband. Back in those days, she had to give out free slices for customers to try because so few had even heard of pizza. Amato's continued as a family run restaurant until the '90's, when it was sold. The fire occurred more than a year after the sale, when most felt that the restaurant had gone completely downhill. But I still remember their wonderful Calabrese-style pizza, steak siciliano, and fantastic linguine and meatballs. I still mourn the passing of this awesome restaurant.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5155
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember a mom-and-pop pizza joint on Michigan Avenue (north side) about 1/2 block west of Jonathan during the late 1950s? I thought their pizza was some of the best ever. It was gone before 1990.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your all talking about the area I work in. Sad with the closing of the chrysler plant on wyoming a few years ago. There is another new strip mall on warren right next to the detroit water pumping station.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a rest. if you took Blesser from Wyoming past the park made a left at the stop sign and a right about a block later(factory of some sort was there) and went down aways there was a little rest. on Oakman? that served pizza, not to bad. Wish I could remember more about it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.