Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Foreclosures are a big boon to the illicit scrap industry « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house next door to me is vacant due to foreclosure. When I left for work this morning everything was fine. When I came home there was a seedy looking trailor in front of this house with a flat tire. As I pulled into my driveway, I saw the exterior front door was flapping in the wind. Knowing the house was vacant and not wishing to invite crime I attempted to close the door. That's when I saw that the door had been pried. I couldn't close the exterior door because the jamb was all jacked too. I went home and told my husband about this. He said he saw two guys in a crappy old blue (unmarked with a business name)truck going in and out of the home. He went out and approached them. They said they had a work order to "winterize the home". My husband asked them what bank? They said not a bank, a mortgage co. They refused to tell him what company. They did produce a work order. The work order had no company name. My husband asked them about the door which he had by then noticed was jimmied. They said they found the door like this when they arrived. They then asked my husband if he had broken in. My husband was pissed. He asked several more questions which they refused to answer. Then they asked him if he was a cop. My husband told them no, just a good neighbor. He left... they were around about another half hour. They left their trailor because of an apparanted flat tire.

All of this was so suspious to me. I tried calling our EEV president, left a message, called our Security and Safety chairperson, left a message, I called our block rep, left a message. I figured they could get a response better then me on how to secure the house. Desparate, I finally called the non emergency police line. I WAS TOLD I COULDN'T FILE A REPORT BECAUSE I WASN'T THE HOME OWNER. Now I have a house next door that anyone can walk into a strip copper etc. I don't know who has title with no one to call.

My best guess is the flat tire is phony and they will be back tonight to do their work. I plan to sleep on the couch with my yippy dog who I hope will bark if he hears anything. If they come back I will call 911 but bet that will do no good either. Anyone have any suggestions what else I can do to protect this house? Please.

By the way I want to thank the mayor nine million and mounting for insuring that our police force could care less about doing their job after the way he has treated them.

Sumas

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for all the miss spelled words. scap is obviously scrap. I am just very upset at the moment and feel pretty helpless.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's any consolation, the folks who brought us the Mortgage Crisis are in Las Vegas right now at their annual convention, chomping on shrimp and watching the Blue Man Group perform...
One subprime industry big shot, John Devaney, got hit big by the collapse of the subprime mortgage industry and had to sell his yacht, his private jet, and his vacation home in Florida.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02 /08/business/08trader.html?ex= 1360213200&en=9afdb383f8c9e0a2 &ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rs s&st=cse&sq=las+vegas+conventi on+&scp=1

But I'm guessing that you don't want to read about the predatory lenders convention in Las Vegas...

Here's what I would do. Years ago some neighbors and I babysat a couple derelict properties until somebody was able to buy and rehab them... We had to board them pretty regularly, but once they were fixed up, it felt good to drive by and think "We helped".

Get together with some neighbors, get some plywood and board the place yourselves. Keep some extra screws, bolts, 2x4s and bits of plywood or chipboard handy.

Make videos of anybody going in and out.Make some signs stating that the home is under video surveillance.
that and your constant questioning of people will probably drive them off.

Unfortunately, these are people who have all the time in the world.

Fortunately, you live in a neighborhood where people still want to live, so at some point, you will probably have neighbors again.

Meantime, congrats, you have an unplanned role as next-door house babysitter.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 417
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, you deserve a lot of praise for what you are doing.

Mccarus
Username: Mccarus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What neighborhood and on what street was this?

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree the only thing you can do is secure the house yourself .From what I understand , calling the police lately is an effort in futility . A couple hundred bucks for materials would be money well spent to keep the lowlifes out .

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remington 870 and 5 rounds of 00 buckshot.

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

Sumas

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in East English Village, one of the "chosen" areas by our mayor for "special attention". If this is the best the city can do, all I can say is thanks for nothing. I think the program is called Next Detroit. I am now armed with several phone #s of city departments to call, unfortunately it is the weekend and will have to wait til Monday. Our neighborhood association meeting is Feb. 13 and you can bet I'll be there.

In EEV, we call our foreclosed homes Emma houses, the story evades me as to why. Neighbors are encouraged to adopt Emma houses. We know we have eight foreclosed homes, that I know of on our block alone. My heart goes out to the displaced families but I still have to deal with the aftermath. We pick up trash, circulars etc. We have also been plowing snow since we have a snowblower. I don't want adopting Emma homes to be a full time unpaid job however.

I have seen too many beautiful homes and neighborhoods go to seed so quickly. I still can't understand why I could not get the police to take a report. I haven't slept all night knowing the house next door is unsecured. I need to be at work in a few hours and will worry the whole time I am there. If need be, my husband and I will secure the house next door ourselves on Sunday. I also worry about the other vacant homes on our block being targets.

Thank you for giving me this forum to vent my frustration. Again, any advice on how to find out who is the current title owner would be welcome.

Thanks, Sumas

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can feel your frustration. If you know a real estate agent, they can access on the computer what is currently in the city of detroit files for the property owner. I will admit that sometimes the files aren't updated as quickly as they should be. The person would need the exact address to look it up. Other than that, I believe that you can also go to a building in greektown (can't think of the name), where they keep property records and look up the info. That can be time consuming and they may charge for the service as well. If you don't know an agent, what is the address?

Lugotown

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I just realized that you may not want to post the address. Anyway, let me know if you happen to know an agent that can help you look up that information.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

Email me your phone number ASAP, I can help.

detbest@yahoo.com

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

I understand your frustration... Those men may have very well been there to winterize the home. I've seen so many REO (bank owned) real estate agents skimp on property management. Many times the bank will not have keys to the home so they break down the door to get in, but the doors are either replaced or fixed so they can be locked up... If you'd like to provide the address of the property I can see who the listing agent is so you can contact them.

Lemme know...

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I think you need to call or find the listing agent asap, If my real estate agent was in town I would have her find the agency and call the agency. I am buying a foreclosed home and tons of the homes ive looked at (cheap) have been damaged due to locking them up or poor winterization. If you do not have any help by monday I could call my agent with info about agent and such.

Sumas

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guys came back to pickup their ratty trailor but I was at work (I work retail). My husband and son were home and went out to talk to these guys. They did secure (the storm door)the front door by flattening the metal jam but did nothing about locking it or the wood interior door. The high winds or change in pressure opened the interior wood door. The guys pointed out tire tracks in the snow in the driveway and asked my husband if he saw who parked there. They also were snarky and said "I thought were a good neighbor" Unfortunately we can't watch our neighborhood 24/7. I still think it was them who broke in. They probably came back to strip stuff. I did send my phone number to DetBest. I still plan to attend my local neighborhood community meeting on Wednesday. I can't believe that no one returned my calls from EEV. Yes, Lugotown, I hesitate putting my addresses out their. I pretty much trust regular contributors to this thread but who knows who just monitors info like this thread. Too many homes in this area are now empty. I am still committed to contacting as many organizations and officials sas I can. The eastside is now mostly blighted areas and I refuse to let this neighborhood go the same route.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 812
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know historically red lining, suburbs, racial fears and more have all lead to a great decline in Detroits housing stock. Looking at a foreclosure map of SE Michigan Detroit has the highest percentage of foreclosures compared to other areas. This is going to lead to many foreclosed properties as we have seen. With seemingly nobody caring when a house is being stripped or robbed, to many houses to keep track of and most peoples perception in south east Michigan of Detroit like "who cares if a house is stripped in Detroit...its DETROIT!" I fear this may lead to another fatal blow to the decent houses left in the city. Apparently if it can happen in EEV it can happen anywhere which sadly it does in the city.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 813
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city of Detroit has a parcel search program to look up owners of property. It costs a dollar or two but it will tell you who owns the property. Accept the terms by accepting below to begin on the link! Apparently for residents it is free!
http://www.detroitmi.gov/eGov/ PropertyTax/Disclaimer.aspx

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city web service is free if you are looking at information about your own property. If you want info on any other properties, you have to pay the fee. This is new-- last year you could look at info on any property.

Lugotown

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas-

Best of luck with this situation. I totally understand, when I re-read my post, I was like wait we don't know who's on this thing :-). I believe there are many more good people on here that really care but there's always the few that may not have the best intentions. You're on the right track though, let as many of the people that can do something know and follow-up. We have a lot of family over there, we also considered moving there years ago. We have heard about the problems first hand and it is sad and time for more people to say no more.

It's very sad but true that the state of MI is leading the country in foreclosures and one of my friends jokingly said it's as if the whole city is in foreclosure. It may get worse before it gets better but I pray it gets better for all of us that are holding on and refusing to go.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mayors new chief of staff lives nearby, Kandia Milton call his office, he might have some interest.
Other than that get a neighborhood watch work list going.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas - I'm in EEV as well and I'm blown away by the number of foreclosures here. Bill Barlage, the association president, is very committed to the neighborhood but I suspect he's overwhelmed with trying to keep an eye on all the "Emma's houses." (I think that term is a play on "empty houses", by the way.) You're doing the right thing by watching the house next door and grilling the "workers" who DO sound like they're up to no good.
When the question has come up before, it's been understood that nobody would complain if you secure an empty house yourself. Another thing you can do, if there's a chance, is ask the people going in and out of the house to leave the curtains or blinds up and close them so it's not obvious that it's empty.
Keep up the good work. I plan to be at the Feb. 13 meeting as well.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vacant, foreclosed houses of Russell Woods-Sullivan are being mutilated by the scrappers.

Take for instance 3741 Cortland:

3741 Cortland

Someone broke in and stole no less than THIRTEEN leaded glass windows, as well as put a hole in the wall.

Broken Lock

stolen leaded glass windows

Wall hole for copper

MORE HOUSES FOLLOW

Masterblaster

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3728 Sturtevant

3728 Sturtevant

Somebody tore up the bathroom, and stole these kitchen cabinet doors that featured STAINED-GLASSED.

nasty bathroom

stolen stained glass cabinet doors

Masterblaster

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4791 Sturtevant

4791 Sturtevant

This house had an interior leaded glass door that was stolen after it was broken into the SECOND TIME.

NOW YOU SEE IT

Leaded Glass Interior Door

NOW YOU DON'T

leaded glass door is stolen

Diehard

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is leaded glass a big thing with the scrappers? I thought it was all about copper and aluminum.
What a shame.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4726
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some people think that they can sell any leaded glass to antique dealer...I doubt that they get more than 20 bucks for it. (And there must be a huge glut right now).

Stained glass windows however, bring in a little more money.

Lugotown

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when they take the doors, cabinets and windows with leaded glass, it's usually to use for a re-hab they're doing or to sell to someone doing a re-hab or new construction that would love to buy these items. as i look at the homes in highland park that are for sell/foreclosure, most for less than 20k, they look a lot and worse than these pictures. it is really a shame what is happening to these homes. heartbreaking to see a home that was in decent/great condition and now 1-2 years later looks like a dump.

about 7 years ago or maybe longer, something happened with real estate. we noticed cause we were looking for our first home and could not believe the prices that the homes were being listed at. totally inflated but those in real estate tried to convince us that the homes were worth that and prices will just keep going up. at the same time, mortgage lenders started that crap with giving loans to people that really could not afford them or approving them at these high home prices but allowing them the option of paying interest only. so, people just went for it. they could buy a home for 200-300k and pay about $500-$800 a month for it. sounded great at the time cause they never expected or thought about what if. now, here we are with so many displaced people due to foreclosures and thousands of homes being destroyed.

it's frustrating cause most of us don't have the money to buy these homes and fix them up. so, they are sitting ducks for these thieves and desperate people looking for any way to get some money.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also live in EEV and after coming home from church this morning, my wife noticed that two foreclosed houses on our block had their security doors' locks taken off. Obviously, that wasn't a good sign. I walked over to one of the houses and inspected the front door; the knob and lock were taken out and someone had attached a padlock to the front door, but the door was open about an inch with it on. I called EEV's hotline this afternoon to report it. The house I had checked out has been vacant since last January, but this is the first time I had noticed any questionable activity around it. :-(

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hasps and padlocks aren't the answer , scrappers have boltcutters . Takes them 10 seconds to cut the locks off . You've got to use a screwgun and 2 or 3 inch screws . They'll still get in if they want to , takes them longer though .

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4499
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone tried guard dogs?

Lefty2

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESChris - Its probably because a real estate company is securing it with their own locks for showings.

No home is impossible to get into. Just need proactive neighbors hopefully.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I would strongly recommend buying one or more of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ ct/B0000645RH
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ ct/B000165F26
The Reporter brand ones are at the Radio Shack on Mack in GP. The cheaper ones are just as good but we had to mail order them.

You can put the detector in the vacant house and the chime in your house, and you'll know if someone goes in there in the middle of the night, and you can call 911, etc. We've done this in our neighborhood and had a few arrests. Yes, there's probably only a 60% chance that the cops will show up, but it is worth a shot.

By the way, that "cleanup crew" sounds suspicious if they didn't even give you the name of their own company. I can see they might not give out the name of the bank, but they should at least give you their own company name & number. I hope you got their license plate #. Sometimes they are real REO cleanup crews hired by realtors/banks, but they have some shady employees who will leave a door open somewhere for going in late at night to take/strip stuff. We had one REO cleanup crew incident in our area where one guy had an ankle monitor. The whole problem with banks being unable or unwilling to protect their properties is pretty sickening.

(Message edited by Dougw on February 11, 2008)

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no longer in detroit but lived there in a great house close to fairlane mall. Ive kept an eye on it from a distance and it went into forclosure recently. I had a dream it was stripped of all its elegance since and then i saw this post. It was loaded with leaded glass and crystal chandeliers . Its really a shame to hear. Isnt like its easy to sell a house in the city anyway, adding the cost of having to rebuild one sure isnt going to help. Makes ya wonder how long before the city is more of a shell than it was when i left in 1994. I love Detroit and plan on one day coming back, sounds like it'll be depressing tho. Beautiful homes in good old detroit

Sumas

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we got the plate # but if I can't make a report, what good is it? One friend suggested that the real REO(a few month back)had shady characters working for them. Another thing I have noticed is that after the Emma homes have been cleared , squatters have moved in, in several cases. I didn't say anything since in most cases they would cut the grass, rake leaves, shovel snow etc. I figured it was better someone was living in the home than not. Generally, these squatters stick around for about two monthes then they are gone. Most drive expensive SUVs. It's kind of obvious that real estate agents are giving out keys or codes to these repo homes to their buddies. It's sad but kind of funny too that these squatters never move in much beyond a big screen TV. We see cable companies come in for hook ups but nothing else. I did like the suggestion for the invasion alarm and will look into it. Thank you for the advice. Further, we have a close friend who lives on Field. A few years back, the house next door became vacant due to the death of the owner. In a short period of time this spectacular house (which by the way was the original Verhaydn sp? funeral home was completely gutted. Even the carriage house was torched. I think that the police department needs a special task force to deal with these newly abandoned homes. We have lost too many historic buildings and our housing stock continues to erode due to official neglect.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think that the police department needs a special task force to deal with these newly abandoned homes. We have lost too many historic buildings and our housing stock continues to erode due to official neglect."

God bless you for looking out for your neighborhood, but you know this isn't going to happen.

The police force is too understaffed as it is and I'm guessing the foreclousures/abandonments have not even peaked yet.

I really like the EEV, lived close by in the past and considered moving there recently but the encroaching blight will probably be a big challenge to deal with. Good luck!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas,

I live on Field. Where is/was the house you spoke of? How long ago did it take place? We've been here four years and haven't had any fires in our immediate area, so I'm trying to place where it may have been.

Diehard

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave70, if you're serious about EEV, please reconsider. The "encroaching blight" is being held back by people like Sumas, and you could make a killer deal by buying one of these foreclosures now, most of which are well secured and not at all vandalized. You'd also be helping all of us to keep the neighborhood up - of course that's my ulterior motive. ;)
I've noticed what appears to be squatters too - they don't introduce themselves, don't move much of anything in, etc. But the ones I've seen are quiet and keep the vandals away. For all we know, the bank might have allowed them there in some underhanded deal just to keep the property occupied. But I actually welcome them, as long as they're not turning the place into a drug den. Better to have a quietly vigilant freeloader than an empty house.

Dougw

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also Sumas, I'd recommend using the Wayne County Register of Deeds website to look up the owner/bank information, the information there is usually more accurate than the other sites.

http://www.waynecountylandreco rds.com/

If you happen to know the first and last name of the previous owner, you can do a quick lookup for free. Otherwise, you'll have to register and pay $5 to search by address. You should be able to see the mortgage deed and the sheriff's (foreclosure) deed transferring ownership back to the bank.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with these property records searches is that they are not always up to date.
If I was the bank, I would get some (screened)
people to live in these houses for a while as caretakers...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 950
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas: I have a similarly-vacated house next door. The owners were in way over their heads, did have a pal "fix" the gas meter to not reflect any gas usage. Of course, DTE saw that month after month the occupied house used no gas, so they shut it off recently. The homeowners have de-camped. Their ARM re-set in December to 12.55%on 105,000 loan! I don't think they will be back. But good riddance. They sold drugs to make ends meet and fenced goods that maybe were stolen.

I got a lot of good advice on this web-site when I asked for specific research tips - because I want that house (a very fine structure just two years ago) to hold up. I think it can be re-sold if not stripped.

I went to the Registrar of Deeds office on Monroe (International Center) where you can look the property up by address at a computer station in the hall for free. I took down the Mortgage Information Number (MIN) and also looked at the mortgage document (detail). You can do this on-line (waynecountylandrecords.com)bu t can't see the mortgage document for the MIN easily or free.

Found that an electronic filing service is the contact. Called them with the MIN and they told me what company is "servicing the mortgage" - in Texas. I called Texas and said the house is vacant, but they said its too early to say if its in foreclosure. When in foreclosure, they will send someone to board it up.

Hopefully, they will negotiate with an interested party in my neighborhood with a better price and a lower interest rate.

Sumas

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_C, between Kercheval and Vernor on Field. About 3 maybe four years ago there were multiple garage fires (arson)on Field, the blvd and VanDyke. In this case, the garage that was torched, seriously damaged a neighboring garage, then skipped to another house. That person had to vacate their home for almost a year. They did't have enough insurance coverage but their church helped raise money to finish the rehab.

There was stunning stained religious glass windows in the place. Naturally they are all gone.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK - that's what I figured - Field between Kercheval and Vernor is the worst block on the entire street.

We moved during the month of October 2004 to the block between Vernor and Charlevoix. Night and day difference.

Those fires had to have been before we moved in.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas - IT IS HAPPENING EVERYWHERE! Take a deep breath. This isn't EEV's fault, or the mayor, or you. It is a problem nationwide. My in-laws live in Troy and it has happened in their neighborhood. I have a sister in-law in Berkley he had the house stripped next to him. All you can do is keep an eye on things.

Sumas

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, I'm not remotely naive about the city and it's lack of services to neighborhoods. I have been involved with JEBA, Creekside CDC, the Butzel Mini City Hall, DECC, Warren Conner, MABA to name a few non profits. I have written successful grants and have seen programs and projects destroyed by mindless vandalism. I have too many volunteer of the year awards to even display. I am not trying to impress anyone except to say I really love Detroit. I do know that we as citizens seem to be on our own to protect our neighborhoods. I will do everything in my power short of vigilantism to stop blight in my "hood"! The cool thing is that Bill the EEV president just called. He was out of town and called while driving back. As mentioned by another EEV resident, he is devoted to this neighborhood. He plans to work with us to secure this residence. We had a wide ranging discussion about our area. I look forward to our monthly meeting on a more positive note than in my previous posts.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so many homes in warrendale with the aluminium siding stripped off..It saddens me greatly

Dave70

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I wouldn't be buying a home in EEV but looking into renting. Anyone know what renters are paying in EEV?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 951
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal said that, after three months of mortgage delinquency, the mortgage company files suit in the local circuit court. This is pre-forclosure. The article suggested that interested persons get the information from the court about the status of a property.

As posted above, I have a house that may or may not be in pre-forclosure. Does anyone know where such lawsuits as described are posted? In the Detroit Legal News?

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on Mitchell St. in Hamtramck and am currently battling this problem with six houses on my street. One guy lives in the basement in the house next to me and only comes out to sit on the porch and finish off his 40 with his dog around 2 a.m.--even in the freezing cold. Of course, I worry about the dog more than the overall issue, but it's still a very frustrating situation. I don't know where this man would end up if the authorities get involved, but I'd like to keep my neighborhood scrap-free. I'm moving to Woodbridge next month and hopefully won't have to worry so much there.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theses jobless thieves that rip off houses are only hurting themselves, their families and friends (if any) in the long run and probably could care less because they are a bunch of selfish scumbags.

Diehard

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave - the latest "for rent" ads I've seen in EEV are around $700-$900 for half of a (well-maintained) two-flat or more like $1000-$1100 for a whole house. There are plenty of "for rent" and "rent to own" signs up around the neighborhood.

Cptk
Username: Cptk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have personally stopped aluminum scrappers three times in my Warrendale neighborhood. Some people worry about me confronting these scum bags (yes I have my pistol on my side and my CPL in my wallet), but the police might come a long time after these thieves are gone if at all. I worry because I have aluminum siding on my house and can not afford to replace it any time soon. This is spreading like a cancer in some of our most stable neighborhoods. I truly feel like the Omega Man!

Eric_c

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't hesitate to blow 'em away. Bury 'em in the backyard and call it done.

Dave70

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Diehard. ;)

Sumas

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave70, rents run about 800.00-$900 for flats. A better value for renting at similar prices is Grosse Pointe Park. For home buying EEV is a wonderful value. Beautiful homes and great neighbors. Again, I want to stress that my heart goes out to all these good people who have lost their homes. On a positive note, EEV has a great association. Our president personally inspected the vandalized property. Was able to find out who has control now and demanded it be secured. Still isn't, but we got assurances that if it isn't secured quickly, he would get it done. I personally, know the Hamtramck and Warrendale neighborhoods. Keep fighting and calling in all resources to secure your neighborhoods. I expect that I'll continue to be very frustrated with city, namely police services but I'm a fighter and it sounds like you are too. For home buyers out there, EEV is a great neighborhood overall, with small hot spots. We need to keep our homes occupied. EEV will also assist potencial home buyers to find homes that suit your taste and budget. Contact eastenglishvillage.org

Dougw

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap -- I believe the Detroit Legal News lists the Notices of Trustee Sales, which are the foreclosure sales at the CAY building every Thursday. I haven't checked at the Detroit Legal News in a long time, though.

I do know that services such as realtytrac.com track this information, and you can look up an address to see its foreclosure status. (I have an account.) It's $40/month, although you might try the free trial. This type of service is good for a neighborhood association to subscribe to for keeping track of foreclosures...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5165
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some scrappers in Chicago last year were caught trying to sell railroad tracks at a scrap yard. Now those are heavy...

The railroads there had to verify that all of their tracks were safe for use after that.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've gathered from several Boston Edison sources, there is a HUGE black market for leaded glass. A lot of it is finding it's way to mansions in southern california. Peacock windows (usually located in a stairway landing) featuring multiple colors and bevelled glass, and lily lead glass doors & windows have come up missing after the homeowner returned from vacation. Neighbors reported seeing a van (like a contractor would use) and assumed work was being done, not removed. Bevelled leaded glass fetches an extremely high price on these markets.

The lead glass french doors and kitchen cupboards doors in that yellow house at the foot of Chalmers (@ Scripps) walked out Feb 2.

All I can say is... &%$@ these assholes. It's vandalism, and it's an affront to one of the few existing remains that made this city desirable over the last generation...the architecture and craftsmanship. And if the cops don't show up or care (surprise) then why should anybody else???

Sumas

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a thought and a flash from the past. A few years back a suburban couple was featured in the LifeStyle Section of the Freep for their creative rec room. The item oohed over the most was the creative use of a large stamped Detroit metal manhole cover converted into a coffee table. This was obviously stolen for scrap, then purchased and resold by a crooked junk yard/resale or pawnshop. As long as there is a market, the scrappers will continue thrive.

Dave70

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dave70, rents run about 800.00-$900 for flats. A better value for renting at similar prices is Grosse Pointe Park."

Hm, why does anyone rent in EEV if you can get better value in Grosse Pointe Park?

We still have to save up to move, we'll probably look for a place that goes for $700-$800 max.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.