Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Better Made Potato Chips » Archive through February 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grand father worked for Better Made. I have a calender of him from 1940. The chips are great. I love the burnt ones the best. He would take me through the factory and show me how they were made!!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool!, Very Cool.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/betmade66.aspx

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's cool. It's quite interesting to find out what products/goods are made in the D' and the surrounding area. Do they still offer tours of the BetterMade plant? I know that Kowalski meat products are made in detroit. I heard that Koegoel is made in detroit as well. When I lived in the NY/NJ area there was hotdogs made out there called Sabrett, anyone here ever hear of them or Taylor Ham?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabrett hot dogs are sold by street vendors in downtown Detroit during the warm months.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A really good heavy chip. And Yes. Jay's is going outta business.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5056
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay's is currently bankrupt--for the third time. But still being made in Jeffersonville, Ind, pending its possible sale.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Koegel products are made in Flint.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't anybody remember "Gold Chip" potato chips. Their plant was located on Conant, just south of Davison, but about a block north of Americana Dance Studio in Hamtramck. I can taste them now. They sold them in all of the movie theaters. I would get them at The Nortown Theater on Saturday and Sunday when I would go (which was pretty much every week-end). I remember falling in love with Audie Murphy (my favorite cowboy), and The Flash Gordon serial , and Mighty Mouse ("Here I Come To Save The Day....").

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on February 05, 2008)

Fury13

Post Number: 3813
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who makes the thickest chips?

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the chips - but I'm still stuck with the same old dip!

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I rarely read the magazine any more (I swear!) but this months maxim ranks the ten best potato chips and better made took top honors.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better Made Chips Rule! I have to get some every time I'm back home in Michigan. One time I ordered a whole case of them online to be sent to me in San Diego. I also love the burnt ones best. At one time they sold whole bags of chips that were overdone. They called them Rainbow Chips. I remember as a kid, when we went in, they would give a free sample bag to all children.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 920
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more Better Made factory tours. They still sell Rainbow Chips, only at their factory store.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Doesn't anybody remember "Gold Chip" potato chips. Their plant was located on Conant, just south of Davison, but about a block north of Americana Dance Studio in Hamtramck"

Are you thinking of New Era chips? I thought they had a plant in that same area at one time....

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother-in-law used to work for Frito Lay. He could get all the free chips he wanted. He insisted on buying Better Made instead. That is brand loyalty! (Also biting the hand that feeds you, but that's another topic)

Fury13

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to go to the Better Made store on Gratiot when I was a kid and they'd give you HOT bags of chips, just off the line. My god, they were so good.

I've been told that's not possible anymore.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked as a union organizer for a few months last year in NYC. There were a few ex-Detroiters on staff up there and we got to talking about potato chips. I called up Better Made and had them send a big box of the 1oz bags of potato chips to the office in Manhattan. It was awesome, everybody up there really liked them.

Our family came from the Better Made factory area, so every year at our family's Christmas, I bring one of the large plastic buckets of regular Better Mades, a tin of the chocolate-covered Better Mades, and a tin of Better Made chocolate-covered pretzels. These are all well-received by the family, and every year, I get the title of being my Mom's "Golden Boy." :-)

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag; This guy remembers Gold Chips, with a dime you could walk in the front door and they would fill a bag. The bag would be jammed with chips and sometimes they would sell the brown chips. The chips were really great. At certain times I could stop at the Better Made factory on Gratiot and they sold what they referred to as burnt chips, really brown and really good. It was unique to see the lift they used to empty the trailer trucks. The entire truck was elevated at an angle and the potatoes came out of the double doors via gravity. I do not remember where the plant was for New Era. Potato chip selection was a family thing. The Gold Chip plant was not very large. It was done the street from the music studio owned by the Tucci family.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the giant New Era tins that we would haul food to the campsite in when I was a kid.
Almost the size of a five gallon bucket.
Haven't seen one in how many years?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Era plant was at Jos Campau and Grandy, i just recently someone torched it

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5063
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There must have been a half dozen PC makers in Detroit during the 1950s. My uncles' store carried New Era.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have the Better Made chip containers. they were yellow, red, and white. We would put them in the middle of the table. you could put chips or hot bread in them!!

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those New Era tins were SO beautifully Deco.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either Mr. Nicolay or Mr. Dancy started making New Era chips in the basement at 4351 Three Mile Drive in about 1929 or 1930. His southern crews took turns working and using the same beds.

New Era production moved to St. Jean and Shoemaker. Eventually, that became the Wolverine Potato Chip factory.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oladub- Bedford st, not far from where i grew up. good info

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vaguely remember as a kid in the late 60s, some plastic potato chip large bowl-sized baskets that were distributed for Better Made? Yellow or white ones with their logo on the bottom?

My father used to go to the old Sears store on Gratiot nearby the Better Made factory, and would bring back home a bag of hot peanuts from Sears, and a large box of potato chips from Better Made that had two large individual plain waxed paper bags of chips inside.

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As found in my basement!!
chips

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polaar; My guess is the tan one is the older of the two, am I correct?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some history:

In 1951, New Era had four plants in the Midwest, including the Detroit plant at 5801 Grandy, and outsold the competition by three-to-one. The company's logo was a black silhouette of a thin woman, her arm arched to her head seemingly reaching for chips. Her thinness seemed to imply that chips were not fattening.
... New Era was bought out by Frito-Lay, and the company was closed in 1981.

The article has more on Detroit chips:

http://info.detnews.com/redesi gn/history/story/historytempla te.cfm?id=209&CFID=19487940&CF TOKEN=38560516