Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Winter Blast? » Archive through December 22, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know if a Winter Blast is planned for '08? I checked the website but it hasn't been updated since the last event. I hope there is going to be one, but won't be surprised if there isn't, given the state of the local economy.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the one last year seemed to not be publicized or updated on the web site until maybe a month before the event or so. I recall that it is mostly corporate sponsored, so it should go on as normal assuming that there is a demand for the event.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year's barely happened - all is dependent upon corporate sponsors putting up $$$.

Balance good corporate citizenship with the need to show ROI.

Maybe, only maybe, foundation money will make this happen in '08

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a copy of the Michigan Business Report (Vol 5. No. 4, Fall 07)from the MEDC that lists the Winter Blast on the back cover calendar of events occurring at a date TBD in December 2007.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried - the Blast could be nothing more than a snowball fight in '08. I'm hoping that the money is found for it, but I'm not hopeful.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Jfried, isn't it usually in Feb.? I guess that I am saying, don't look for anything to be announced in December.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putsing around google, I found the following RenCen Event list with the 2008 Winter Blast listed as Feb 8-10.

http://www.gmrencen.com/Detroi t/MajorEvents/tabid/99/Default .aspx

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find Raptor56.

Jfried

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just posting what I saw on the back of that report.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they could do with the Winter Blast is to have the Red Wings play an outdoor game at Comerica Park. Michigan and Michigan State had the Cold War at Spartan Stadium and I think that either Buffalo or Montreal are playing an outdoor game. They could have the Wings vs the Leafs, Hawks, Rangers, some original 6 team. Just an idea.

Jfried

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is a great idea.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be a pretty sweet idea Scooter2k7. I'm guessing that this would have been done at some point in the past, perhaps for practicality rather than show?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the point of having the Wings play at Comerica? The Wings are having trouble selling out the Joe. I could see attendance actually dropping for a game at comerica. There's no way i'd sit through an outdoor game where I had to sit 100 yards away from the rink.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There's no way i'd sit through an outdoor game where I had to sit 100 yards away from the rink."

Pretty sure that refrigerated ice hasn't been around for forever. Some might be much more willing than you. The Michigan/MSU "Cold War" seems to be a big hit: http://ed-web3.educ.msu.edu/he rl/HERLweb/CW05.JPG

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice though if at one of these Winter Blasts, that we actually get a real Winter Blast. I haven't seen a good snowstorm or snow event for 5 years.

I'm glad it's coming back though. I'm might try to go this year.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard earlier in the year that is was actually supposed to be bigger this year, and adding more snow slide lanes too (6 I think).

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I e-mailed the contact address at www.winterblast.com and received the following from Lauren Lefkofsky (with an e-mail address at artsbeatseats.com):

The tentative dates for Winterblast 2008 is February 8-10th. As soon as the date is confirmed we will be updating our website.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a winterblast driving to Lansing this morning. Fluffy white stuff. And I still have leaves on my trees.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they do the "Dine in the D" program again. We went to Coach Insignia last year- good times.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first "Trial" Winterblast a year before the Superbowl ended up being in the middle of a snow storm.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 593
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Yeah, and ever since, there's barely been a snowflake.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would bet the idea of an outdoor hockey game at Comerica is a non-starter. I can't imagine the Tigers allowing that much weight on their grass during the winter. It would ruin or kill a huge amount of grass. Also, baseball stadiums are extremely poorly shaped for such things.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is the ice rink open?

we should have a detroityes gathering this holiday season...

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ice rink opens this Friday with the annual tree lighting

http://www.campusmartiuspark.o rg/img/111607%20tree%20lightin g%20ws.pdf

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add me to the list of people who think an outdoor Wings game of some kind during the Winter Blast would be an out-freaking-standing idea.

Wash_man

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dates of Feb. 8-10 have been confirmed on the Winter Blast website.

http://winterblast.com/

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

Did you miss the first one? We were devastated by a snow storm! It was great!

Wash_man

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not related to Detroit, but someone in this thread mentioned an outdoor hockey game to boost attendance for the Winter Blast. It's happening, just not in Detroit. Since it is the first outdoor game played in the US, it would have been nice if it would have been the Wings. More positive national exposure.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071222/SPORTS0 5/312220012

(Message edited by wash_man on December 22, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

got 'em outside, now just need to get them onto a lake, bleachers along the shore

:-)

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I guarantee a Rangers-Red Wings final still WILL NOT draw the casual fan - especially when they continue to play the finals in June.

(By the way tickets sold out in a blink in Buffalo for this game, thousands of people were shutout from getting tickets. Lake effect snows could turn this into a disaster however)