Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Best paczki in Detroit » Archive through February 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oo7plyr
Username: Oo7plyr

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not looking for the most traditional paczki or the most charming place for paczki. I want to know where to find the best paczki in the area. Any suggestions? Which bakery reigns supreme?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7104
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Hamtramck and find a REAL Polish owned bakery. They are bakers who make the best paczkis in the State.

Oo7plyr
Username: Oo7plyr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a specific bakery in mind? I've had paczki from Hamtramck and was unimpressed.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 653
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha Washington isn't bad.

Royaloakian
Username: Royaloakian

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunnyside Bakery on six mile. The BEST. Sunnyside Bakery & Deli 5422 E Mc Nichols Detroit, MI 48212
good poppy seed roll too.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4960
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm partial to the new palace bakery.

how do they get 10 pounds of lard, sugar and flour into a less-than-a-pound paczi?

if we discover that, we will know the secrets of anti-gravity

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats everyone's fav' filling? Im partial to the fruit kind.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love them all

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3779
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Srodek's on Conant on Paczki Day. Polish Market (on Jos. Campau) is good too.

The most authentic fillings are the rose jelly and the prune.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4961
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rose hip jelly is just gross. get one and split it between you and your friends.

i like raspberry

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to go for the most artery clogging one of all. Gimme the custard!!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did Bob Bennett (RIP) hang out? Somewhere in Hamtramck.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chene Modern on Warren E of Southfield

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where did Bob Bennett (RIP) hang out? Somewhere in Hamtramck.

I always ran into him at the Polish Sea League on football Sundays.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Belmont in Hamtramck will have complimentary Paczki, $1 PBR and no cover all day tomorrow, from noon till close.

Small's is having Paczki bombs - a mini paczki filled with a jello shot.

New Dodge has a live broadcast with 101.1 WRIF and Polish food, etc.

Suzy's Bar has jambalaya and tons of drink specials.

The Polish Muslims will be playing pretty much throughout the day at several different venues.

I can't wait! I took tomorrow and Wednesday off for this. :-)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tons of people take work off for st. patricks day.....but paczki day?! Melody, obviously, is no joke!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

banana paczak here i come

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you live in Hamtramck its your Civic duty to take Paczki Day off. See you at noon Melody!!

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, Very Cool.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob used to hit them all.

From the Paczki Principle:
http://www.motorcitycandlework s.com/scents/thepaczkiprincipl e/

Paczki have caught on in other U.S. cities with large Polish populations, but this is Detroit, and on Fat Tuesday, Hamtramck is Paczki Central. Besides waits of an hour or more at its authentic Polish bakeries, this small city-within-a-city hosts a variety of events on the last Tuesday before Lent every year.

Perhaps the highlight of these events is the Paczki eating contest, which is held in the local Knights of Columbus Hall. To the victor goes the Bob Bennett Memorial Cup, named for a beloved, street reporter whose physique suggested he enjoyed more than his share of paczki during his lifetime. Bennett made a point of covering the paczki festivities every year, and is credited by many for making the paczki so popular. The Bennett Cup which is modeled after the Stanley Cup, is made up of an assortment of pots and pans. The proud 2005 winner downed a record 22 paczki in 15 minutes, with strong competition from a pregnant woman who packed away 11 paczki. Besides, the Cup, the winner also took with him an additional 8,800 calories.

Paczki. Breakfast of champions.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Palace Bakery, Jos. Campau just south of Yemans on the west side of the street. You will NOT be disappointed. It is a great bakery anytime of the year.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polish Muslims schedule for Paczki Day: Sto lat!

11:00 am to 1:00 pm - The New Dodge Bar on the south side of town on Jos. Campau. We know it's later than last year but oh well have a couple before we go on. It gets pretty jammed so get there early.

2:00 to 4:00 - It's down in mid town at Whiskey in a Jar. Cool bar on Yemans St. just west of Jos. Campau.

5:00 to 8:00 - We travel all the way uptown (about 6 blocks) to the wide part of Jos. Campau. It's the Post 10. Don't let the name fool you, it should be called Post 11. Everyone shows up for those last 3 Paczki's and beers and it gets pretty crazy.

3 shows in one day is a little over the top you might say? Well we think it's a lot over the top but hey it's PACZKI DAY!

See ya.

The Polish Muslims

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Derby Girls will be at the Whiskey in the Jar in Hamtramck. They're open from 10am-2am with $1 beers all day. The Polish Muslims are playing, too.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you live in Hamtramck its your Civic duty to take Paczki Day off. See you at noon Melody!!
______________________________ ___________________

I work until 9PM, maybe I'll see some DYers after work at one of the bars!

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Deluxe Bakery on Conant

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Small's is having Paczki bombs - a mini paczki filled with a jello shot."

*gag*

i love jello shots, and i love paczki...but that just sounds gross!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5048
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in SW Detroit could one get some halfway decent paczki? Does Spartan sell them?

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Dodge will have Jager-jelly filled paczki.

At Suzy's, "Danny D" will be singing from 8pm to close.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4436
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not in Detroit, but the Utica Heights Bakery gets high ratings around here.

I'll be spackling my arteries shut there tomorrow.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueberry from New Palace, Sunnyside, or New Deluxe (in order of preference). If anyone wants a very traditional - and delicious - filling, try rose-hip jelly. (I'm not sure who makes them, but I would imagine many places would for Paczki Day.)

LY, surprisingly, I don't think SW Detroit has a Polish bakery anymore. Probably the closest place for authentic paczki would be West Warren bakery in Warrendale.