Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fresh Katydids 2 for $15 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the intersection of 7 and Greenfield yesterday and saw someone selling boxes of I assume live katydids. It was a young man holding a handmade sign and he looked rather bored...maybe business wasn't that good. I didn't think that many people have reptiles to feed, so maybe there's another use? Anyone know why someone would be selling katydids in that area during the winter...my guess of bait doesn't make much sense. I know there are some cultures where grasshoppers are considered a delicacy...

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chocolate, caramel and peanuts. They were selling candy. LOL

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the same guy at that intersection at least a month ago and wondered the same thing!

Frumoasa

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha..thanks cub. I guess I take things too literally...maybe he should explain the ingredients on the sign...business didn't seem to be going too good ;)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5497
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW.....lol

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he is selling the candy he probably needs to specify in what quantity. That sounds pretty high for two katydids.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chocolate, caramel and peanuts.- aint that a "turtle" ?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Chocolate, caramel and peanuts.- aint that a 'turtle' ?"

They're the same things in my opinion, and are both delicious.

I have no idea what Frumoasa is talking about.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4494
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Learn something new every day. I found a photo of katydids:

katydids
quote:

Classic Katydids
The legendary original Katydids recipe that made Kathryn Beich famous is back! Soft, buttery caramel and whole fancy pecans in real milk chocolate.

(Message edited by Jimaz on February 10, 2008)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was very funny.

Frumoasa

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to some food website with posters just as confused as I was:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums /topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3174

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4500
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, a prank:

Cook up a batch of katydid insects, coat them with chocolate, sell them as "katydids" (you wouldn't be lying), then take photos of victims' reactions. Start a website and post the pictures.

Instant internet infamy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.