Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WJR Detroit Tigers Baseball Music « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the '70s and '80s WJR Tiger broadcasts started with an intro that went "Detroit Tiger baseball is on the air.." and then went into some march music. Does anyone know what that piece was? I have searched online but keep coming across "Go get 'em Tigers" or "Bless you boys." Does anyone remember this? I seem to recall it was something like "The Tigers March" or something like that, but I may be way off base.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The song is on this site from another thread. Since your new, go to search and try to find it.
Welcome to then forum!

Guideboat

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, the search engine is very cumbersome. I did find it eventually, but the link was severed to the music. This poster originally got the music from WJR and their audio history section. It is in sports memories about halfway through a ten minute file.

http://www.wjr.net/article.asp ?id=402213&spid=16424

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit Tiger baseball is ON THE AIR!"

The voice of God: Paul Carey.

Guideboat

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may be heresy, but I always thought Paul Carey was as much the voice of the Tigers as Ernie Harwell. I was sorry when WJR let him go. Voice of God, indeed.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know where to find the tv music from the 80's. that's good stuff

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guideboat-- WJR didn't fire Paul Carey. Carey retired after Harwell's final season.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carey was planning on retiring after the 1991 season anyhow. The geniuses who conspired to fire Harwell (Jim Long and Jeff Odenwald) should've been fired.

Schembechler took a lotta heat for it, but he was really the fall guy. (And no, I'm no fan of Bo.)

Mike Ilitch, who I'm also no fan of, considering his decision to abandon a classic American ballpark for a goddam arcade in his Foxtown fiefdom ... hey, I'll give the guy this: He had the good sense to bring Ernie back after he bought the team from Monaghan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.