Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The Doors @ Cobo Arena « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detmuscle
Username: Detmuscle

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone!

First time poster, long time lurker here. Recently, I picked up the album "The Doors: Live In Detroit". This concert was at Cobo Arena and it took place on May 8th, 1970. Since many of you have lived in or around Detroit forever, I was just wondering if any of you might have attended this concert. Since Im only in my 20's it was way before my time.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was around then, but I didn't go. Some of my friends did. They were deafened for days, but that was the norm then.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This concert is legendary. I wasn't even a thought when it happened, but it's reputation as being one of their best shows is well documented.

Detmuscle

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah my favorite part was hearing that strict union regulations required the show to end by midnight but Morrison continued the show an hour past the curfew.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was about the doors to enter into Cobo. I would have been one at that time, but it would have been cool to be there. I love the Doors. I did go to the Swatch Watch Fresh Festival there when Rap was first starting up. All of the early rappers were there like Run DMC Curtis Blow and Nucleus.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw The Doors at Cobo but it was in May '68. The show was supported by the James Cotton Blues Band and the Crazy World of Arthur Brown. It was a phenomenal show but it's not the show you're talking about. I've heard great things about it and I believe there is a recording of the show available through Rhino Handmade.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Doors at Cobo, but I didn't know that there was an album of it. Was this the same show that also featured The James Cotton Blues Band, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, and the Jagged Edge?

Dannyv

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, Check out this link
http://www.rhinohandmade.com/b rowse/ProductLink.lasso?Number =7902

It's the available recording of the 1970 show. Sounds like it was a great show. I didn't get into the Cobo show until James Cotton was playing and didn't know that the Jagged Edge had also played. I made the mistake of telling my Mom I was going to a concert that night and she made me change out of my blue jeans and into my dress slacks. She was thinking it was a different kind of concert than what it was.

Jokerman

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv: Thanks for the info. Our messages must have crossed in hyperspace because your answer wasn't there when I sent my question.

Dannyv

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. I could tell by the time signature that was the case. It's too bad there isn't some sort of notification of a response or reply to a post. If there is, I've missed it somehow.

I recall Morrison giving the audience a choice of what encore they wanted to hear, Unknown Soldier or When The Music's Over, at the '68 show.

Summertime1
Username: Summertime1

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that concert, but i did not attend. That was the only time the "doors played n Detroit that i know of. After Jim passed on the remaining members were called"The Butts" band i have the album. I am sure they played at the Eastown. They are now called "riders n the storm" they play at DTE recently. Ray Manzarekhas written books about the Doors. He will never get over Jim'death!! Val Kilmer looked exactly like him in the movie "The Doors" it was a great time to be young te late 1960's and early 1970's geri in SCS

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was only one good thing about the Kilmer movie. OK, well, two things.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the poster/handbill from May 11

doors

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmuscle, I saw the Doors at Cobo Arena in May 1968. Crazy Arthur Brown opened (flaming head and all) and I think Jagged Edge was also on the bill (things are a bit foggy).

Dannyv

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a search on the Doors tour history last night. I ran across a French language Doors fansite. Their tour history included dates at a U of M auditorium in late '67, the May '68 Cobo date and a date in March '69 at the Olympia. No date was listed for the '70 concert at Cobo. I recall in Iggy's I Need More autobio of him mentioning seeing the Doors in Ann Arbor at a frat party. Maybe that's the U-M date.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv, sounds likely-a lot of bands would clean up off the books by playing frat parties under the table for a lark, cash & co-ed's long after they're "big", I was talking about this w/a friend who saw "The Hooters" play a USC frat party while they were still on the charts-but then there's another guy whose dad saw The Doors out here before they broke when they played his high school dance(fifty cents @ the, uh, door)

Detmuscle

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw "The Doors of the 21st Century" a few summers back @ DTE. It was pretty decent considering only two of the original members were there. The lead singer from The Cure filled in as Morrison and did a fantastic job.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj, after their first Detroit concert at the Olympia (with an attendance of only 400-500), the Rolling Stones went to a Southfield High School graduation party. I think the Who also appeared at Southfield High on their first tour through.

Detmuscle, this site also has info on Michigan Concerts:
http://home.comcast.net/~lux20 01/assorted.html

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmuscle, you mean Ian Astbury of The Cult, not to be confused with Robert Smith of The Cure.

And yes, he did a great job, walking a fine line between 'channeling' Jim, (Astbury was influenced by Jim and also loved the Native American mythos) and just being himself, a good rock singer that did the songs well.

Now, if Robert Smith were to fill in, that still might be an interesting fit: they could do a lot of the slower, sadder stuff really well, and maybe make the faster songs more New Wavy...

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmuscle, you must mean the lead singer of the Cult, Ian Astbury, not the lead singer of the Cure, Robert Smith.

That'd be funny to see, though.

Funnier yet, imagine Morrisey singing "Love Me Two Times ... uo-hooooooh."

Er, on second thought ...

Detmuscle

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, my bad. Yes Transitrider, thats who I meant.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on The Who at Southfield High:

http://www.patstjohn.net/WSHJ. asp

Note: I began a long and obscure radio career at the same little high school station a few years after Pat was there.

Jokerman

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the Doors concert at Cobo in 68, a girl climbed on the stage. The cops grabbed her. Morrison stopped the song and yelled at the cops,"Let that child go!" They did.

Jokerman

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leob: Thanks! I used to have that flyer.

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Morrison getting on stage.....shouting out "HELLO DETROIT!.......HELLO CHICAGO!........HELLO SEATTLE!....all the while playing the guitar riff from 'Roadhouse blues........then breaking into the song and the whole place just going nuts.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic says: "More on The Who at Southfield High:

http://www.patstjohn.net/WSHJ. asp

Note: I began a long and obscure radio career at the same little high school station a few years after Pat was there."

I worked there with Pat, late '67 till I graduated in '69. What memories.

Phil

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended that concert in my first year at Wayne State University. I was on the left side first tier of Cobo. I was in total awe of Jim Morrison's performance. I remember a girl getting up on the stage and hugging him before the bodyguards pulled her away. It was a concert that I will never forget. The music sounded just as good live as the "albums"...now I listen to them in my car on cd...still the best music for all generations!

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned the 68 concert and a girl coming on the stage as it happened in 1970...um...maybe it is like the Obama fainting spells for publicity, lol.............one will never know will we?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the book, "No one here gets out alive", which is a bio of Jim Morrison. Its been years since I read it, but it mentions the Doors playing at the UM homecoming dance. I dont know the year or the venue but it was in the book because John Densmore quit the band that night over Jim being late and drunk at the show. Obviously Densmore returned. I will try to find the book get my facts straight.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fri. Oct. 20, 1967: University of Michigan I.M. Building - Ann Arbor, MI - (Homecoming)
This site has info on all their shows
http://www.doorshistory.com/do ors1967.html

Summertime1

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, i have that book also. I still have all my Doors records and posters. I have the 45 "Unknown soldier" the picture sleeve is very weird. memories stay with you as long as you live<

Summertime1

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leob, any of the posters or fliers from that era are worth thousands of dollars. Grande, Fillmore, 1967 memorbilia is the biggest year. check out Gary Grimshaws web site. It is great. He signed some of my posters at the "GRANDE 40 year show last year!! rock Lives on

Summertime1

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, thanks for this web site. I have never seen some of the pictures of Jim before. My favorite album is The Doors, and Morrison Hotel

Dannyv

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summertime, While you're time tripping, take a gander at the work on this site.
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.