Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » HOV lanes on Michigan Ave? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did these spring up? Are they really needed or is it just to keep cars out of the bus lanes?

When I lived in Toronto they were everywhere

I also noticed that they were HOV+2, meaning you had to have at least 3 in the vehicle. Anybody know anymore about them?

Anyone know the detroit policy on them as far as motorcycles/hybrids? Are they anywhere else in the city?

I assume this is the part where someone points me to an already started thread that I couldn't find with the search function.

peace!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a motorcycle in an HOV lane would defeat the purpose...

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan and what? It'll be interesting to see if it's actually enforced.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed those the other day. It might be a temporary thing because of the closure of I-75?

It is odd to see them off of a freeway and not in an area where buses bunch.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroittransit.org/

scroll down one entry to Feb 5.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the American Motorcycle Association (and other sources), Federal Transportation Law specifically allows motorcycles to use HOV lanes. Motorcycles are more fuel efficient than cars and SUVs, use fewer resources to build, and do not contribute to congestion like cars and SUVs. One of the great treats of being a motorcyclist and scooterist in Southern California (where I lived for 25 years), is riding in the ubiquitous HOV (called diamond lanes in So Cal) lanes.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think a motorcycle in an HOV lane would defeat the purpose...

Sure, if you're talking about semantics. But since a motorcycle is all of, what, 6 feet long, and 2 feet wide, and likely gets over 45mpg, why not let them use it.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed them going west from I-96 to at least Livernois, I think. Right lane only. Super bright reflective signs in the darkness. I wonder if they did any patching work in that right lane to allow constant travel there.... or how many parked cars there will be there...

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Hemi Only Vehicle Lanes. Should be a big hit here in the Motor City.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first one appears (eastbound) just as you cross into Detroit from Dearborn. The last one appears at Rosa parks.....so pretty much the whole length in detroit. But I don't know if it is continuous.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOV on Michigan Ave? This has got to be a joke. Someone tell them Tiger Stadium closed. The only vehicle with 3 people will be the bus.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was noticing this today. i took a picture of the signs because I have never seen any signs like this. Thanks guys for the info.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew this had been done on Michigan Avenue somewhere but I hadn't known where. I think one of the main reasons for it is to enable express bus service to be more efficient during the I-75 construction; either DDOT or SMART or both is putting in a downriver express service the final leg of which (inbound) is Michigan Avenue.

It will be interesting to see, once the I-75 construction kicks off in earnest in a couple weeks, which roads do get choked with traffic. Most of us locals are probably going to avoid MDOT's official drive-way-out-of-your-way detour, I expect. Fort Street will get it but good, but I'm not sure where else.

If you need to travel that corridor, just once try making West Vernor part of your detour route, when you're not in a hurry. Very interesting part of Detroit, lots to see and do.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, here's a thought: what would be a good DYer detour? Not the official one, which is silly (but all highway), I want a detour that we who aren't afraid of Detroit can use. Something that will be reasonably quick because nobody but us will use it :-)

If it forces me to go past some nice Mexican or Guatemalan restaurants, all the better. I'm Italian by heritage but I enjoy a nice pupusa now and again.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the link provided by TransitRider they have the HOV lanes as part of the I75 construction project.

quote:

Special announcement from MDOT, DDOT and SMART:

Transit in Southeast Michigan is about to take a giant step forward!! You're invited to attend a press conference, ribbon cutting and inaugural ride to announce the historic opening of the State of Michigan’s first dedicated HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) Traffic Lane. They will also announce the new Gateway Express bus service provided by SMART and DDOT to help commuters traveling between Downriver and Detroit’s Central Business District avoid traffic congestion during MDOT’s I-75 Ambassador Bridge Gateway Construction Project.

The ribbon cutting will be on Friday, February 15, at O’Blivion’s Corktown Café (1824 Michigan Avenue, West of 11th, Detroit). Breakfast at 9:30am, ribbon cutting and bus ride at 10am. RSVP to Denise Brazer by Tuesday, February 12 at 248-483-5107.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what good is an HOV lane when the the DPD won't likely enforce it? (like countless other civil infractions)

its a great idea that we will hopefully see a need for in the near future, but given how poorly a lot of people follow existing traffic laws and rules, and the DPD's ability to enforce them, i'm a bit skeptical that this new one will fly

(Message edited by gravitymachine on February 12, 2008)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, detours. I don't like Vernor for commuting to work because it is a very slow street, but it is a good way to go for the commerce.

How about Southfield north to Ford Road east to McGraw (Ford turns into McGraw at Wyoming), to Rosa Parks or 14th to either the Boulevard or Michigan?

(Message edited by gazhekwe on February 12, 2008)

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for the HOV lanes.

Oops! State has no law to enforce high-occupancy vehicle lanes

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, H.O.V. lane run will be free from Feb25th to Feb 29th. Inbound 6-9 A.M./ Outbound 3-6 P.M.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could temporarily make the HOV lanes into Bus lanes until they add the specific definition of HOV into the laws.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I agree Iheartthed, I did forget to mention in My last post, that the free runs next week are courtesy of D.D.O.T.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny story, I took the morning express bus down michigan last week. The bus used the left lane(HOV is right lane) cause cars were slowing down in the right lane to turn on/off michigan and DDOT buses were stopping in the right lane.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard on the news today that there is no way to enforce these lanes, they may have to do away with them.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What strike me as odd is that instead of doing something that makes sense, like diverting traffic from I-75 to I-96 to I-94 to Southfield (and visa versa) to get around this mess, they are still able to find new and innovative ways of shaking down/pissing off motorists instead of making the overall process go smoothly.

Whomever came up with this ridiculous idea should be fired.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 497
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dallas/Fort Worth has dozens of HOV lanes, and make a killing off of ticketing non-compliant vehicles. I remember several drivers got bust using mannequins as passengers.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cook said it likely would take an act by the Legislature to make HOV lanes legally enforceable. He said lawmakers would have to add a definition of HOV lanes or spell out their proper use in the Michigan Vehicle Code."

While this still being somewhat humorous, if the HOV lanes are only present in the City of Detroit, why couldn't the city simply enact a traffic law regarding/defing it? Would that not be more simple than doing it at the state level? I could see both being done, long term, but the CofD has a much more immediate need and shouldn't have to wait around for the state to write up what could easily be a local law.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am guessing that the City cannot enact something for roads that are state trunks. Communities have run up against this when the state changes speed limits even though the locals have no interest in this.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's exactly why it isn't being done (it's a state road).

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan ave. + HOV = Joke.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Michigan ave. + HOV = Joke.

unfortunately in practice, yes. the first day they were to go into effect, i saw two single occupant vehicles folled by a DPD cruiser down the lane, and as far as i could see down the street they weren't pulled over.

i think mdot may have overestimated the number of people that would use michigan as an alternate to the 75 closeur

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am guessing that the City cannot enact something for roads that are state trunks.

I had been curious about this a couple years ago and posed the question to Sgt. Lance Cook. He responded:

quote:

Provided the local ordinance is not in conflict with state law, it can be enforced on state and county roads within a municipal boundary. The issue arises over certain types of activities, i.e., you can't set the speed limit on a state road, but you can enforce a local ordinance that prohibits a violation of the speed limit on streets within the municipal boundary.

The UTC sections dealing with the duties of the traffic engineer apply to those roads controlled by the municipality, but citywide ordinances can be enforced on state and county roads as long as they don't conflict with state law.

UTC stands for the Michigan State Police's Uniform Traffic Code. I'm not sure about Detroit, but many other municipalities don't have their own set of local road ordnances. Instead they adopt the UTC by reference. http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0, 1607,7-123--36795--,00.html

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, You have to give things time to work or not work, then a logical decision can be made, Until then, D.D.O.T. is running the H.O.V. lane run for free this week for anyone who is interested, Inbound 6-9 A.M.., Outbound 3-6P.M.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Only a few days left to try out the new H.O.V. lane run from D.D.O.T. for no charge.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive that stretch of Michigan at least once a week. I noticed that the other lanes are pretty much moonscapes, and I have a low-slung little car, so I cautiously took the HOV lanes last week just to avoid flat tires. Then I asked myself, since there is almost no traffic on this stretch right now, should I be worried?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.