Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detrola Plant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Detrola plant was at Beard and Chatfield,The Sidetrack Saloon is right across the street where the plant was.Inside the saloon is a huge aerial picture of the plant, Every year they have a reunion of the employees there.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a Detrola. I don't know what to call it, it plays records, 78 and 33 and 45, and has a radio, too, so it's probably late 50s at the oldest. It is a nice console size in a fine wood cabinet.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

made in Detroit! How does it sound?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We haven't played it in awhile, but it was good hi-fi the last time we fired it up. No stereo, of course. Full sound, no buzzing. I can't remember just now if it has FM, I don't think so.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on February 11, 2008)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4520
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are also some imports in recent years that are labeled "Detrola." They play vinyl, CDs, cassettes and radio. They have an obvious nostalgic design but are not of any collector value. Not bad otherwise.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5129
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of Detrola, but I'm not form here.

I see that some of the 6V DC variety used vibrators. I haven't even thought about one of those in decades. The vibrators had to be replaced in older car radios well before any tubes, usually.

And knowing which one to get when it refused to "buzz" as it should was a rectum burn because they made so many kinds. The parts numbers often were of no help because the auto makers farmed out their radio and components to so many different Tiers.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 485
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vibrators?

Holy Cow!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard -

Not to change the subject,-

"when it refused to "buzz" as it should was a rectum burn"

Does ANYBODY remember the old underdash 45sp Lear players that had the Reverb?

Quite the hot thing in 65'

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The device in question, I believe, was called or refered to as a "Vibrasonic". It gave music from a car radio an echo chamber effect similar to a hollow rock-a-billy wail or a Phil Spector production.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay folks - time you earn your spot here. This is my Parducci entry for Detrola;

Detrola Corp (?) A. Girard Detroit ? 1943 MI cement containers = pattern for radio # 1, 2

it means that in 1943 Parducci designed something for them. Who is/was A. Girard ? The winners get the position of archivist at the Carpchives. (see Brodhead thread) eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the same Girard as the Girard turntable?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3929
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that spelled "Garrard" on the turntables?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I think you are right. I haven't thought about one of those in a Looong time. "Garrard" became "Girard" in my feeble brain.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexander Girard, that would be. Here is a bit on him from a radio auction:

Girard, working on his own with the same material, designed plywood cabinets early on with Detrola for the 1939 World's Fair in New York. Each of these designers utilized the new materials in their designs, creating a varied market and appealing to the needs of consumers in the post war period. This eight-piece group features designs from Raymond Loewy and Alexander Girard with production models from Detrola, Emerson and Pye.

http://www2.wright20.com:8080/ 4DCGI/Web_Individual_Lots/A6SB /587

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4733
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather went to the going out of business sale of the Detrola Radio Co and bought a great AM-Short/ Wave radio. (looks like it was made in the 40's)
When I was ten, it was passed down to me, and I used to listen to the BBC top 10 songs of the Week, as well as short wave broadcasts from all over the world.
The Detrola Company also made cameras.

Radios made in Detroit that lasted for decades.
What a concept!

Carptrash

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what, well one thing what, I love about Detroit, detroiters, ez-Detroiters, wannabe Detroiters and Lowell (who lets us play here). Alexander Girard it is. i have all these little Parducci mysteries and it's a great feeling (better than coffee) getting them cleared up. Someday I'll write up the Lone Ranger's Mask commission. eeeeeeeek

PS. I almost forgot to say, " thank you," which I really can't say enough. einar

(Message edited by carptrash on February 13, 2008)

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I went several years ago to a old radio collectors swap meet and convention in Lansing. The featured brand was Detrola. A guest speaker gave the whole history and eventual demise of Detrola. One of my aunts and a neighbor of mine worked at Detrola during WW2. They were making mine detectors. My aunt gave me a Detrola AM table radio that I still have.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a cool article about Girard:

http://www.r20thcentury.com/bi os/designer.cfm?article_id=50

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5123
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same Detrola that made cameras?

Carptrash

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gauze Hawk - You rock. Now if you can find me the Detrola Museum I can perhaps discover what CP did for them in 1943 - the War years, the Lean years. eeeeeek

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No luck on the museum, but maybe you can contact these people, nice history. The official Detrola Radio Homepage! I found out my Detrola cannot be newer than 1948. It is in great condition!

http://detrola.tripod.com/

(Message edited by gazhekwe on February 13, 2008)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Detrola the source for all that lead pollution at the new school site? Lead is/was used in solder, and Detrola must have gone though literally tons of the stuff.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.