Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Trader Joes [ eastside ] » Archive through February 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trader Joes now open in Grosse Pointe on Kercheval east of Cadieux. Lots of specials, good stuff!

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 9931
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papa Joes is better.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the space they opened in happen to be in the old Jacobson's department store directly across from the upscale Kroger?

Pgn421

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kitty corner, yes

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this will definitely be fun, stay tuned!...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4390
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open already, huh?

Haven't been 'home' in awhile. Anything that is a shot in the arm for old Kercheval there is okay with me. I can't wait for the proposed mid-rise on St. Clair Ave. north of Kerchavel to get started.

Trader Joe's, like the Kroger there, is a legitimate option for east side residents to get groceries. 10-12 minutes from Indian/West Village, 20 minutes from downtown, just a few blocks from the far east side. What's good for people in GP is good for alot of people in Detroit.

Pgn421

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack- Yes, the Village has changed, lots of cool stores. Did you grow up there?

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

duh-- papa joe's and trader joe's aren't comparable. they are completely different types of stores, and both good at what they do.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about parking?

It's all metered on the street and the parking lots.

Anyone know? Jakes parking structure isn't even that big.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Either TJ's is not expecting a huge turn out of shoppers (besides GPer's) or they will rob Kroger of theirs.

Of course, there's plenty of parking (2 lots and additional spaces) right behind the shops.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.389016,-82.917069&spn=0.001537,0.003111&t=h&z=18&om=0

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 03, 2008)

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The built a new parking structure and have a rear entrance.

I was there yesterday.

It changed my life.
and I am only kind of joking...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4391
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah they built a smallish new garage (with the expectation that they might have to build higher) behind the Jacobson's complex, connecting to a TJ's entrance.

I guess I was back there in the beginning of Jan., but TJ's and the garage have come along quickly since then.

http://www.gmach.citymax.com/p age/page/3637345.htm
There's a postmortem of the whole development on the City website. It took TOO LONG to make a decision on what to put in Jacobson's, but once they got a direction, things went fast.

See this for detailed information on the proposals for St. Clair Ave. north of Kercheval: http://www.gmach.citymax.com/p age/page/4453156.htm
^What's weird is this hasn't been updated since some late-summer deliberations led them to settle on the Morningside proposal (which I thought was second-best behind Burton-Katzman's). There will be a four or five story residential building with ground floor retail and minimal setback east of St. Clair, and a 3 story parking garage with retail and minimal setback on the other side of St. Clair. I don't think anyone has pulled out of this, and I don't think that they've changed their mind. The deliberation process was really open and moved along quick, but since then, I don't much about what's going on. Pgn421 or anyone else, do you know what's going on with this?

Pgn421, indeed, I spent my first 19 years there, near Mack in the City.

Pgn421

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i spent 24 years at Mack and Bishop

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4393
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, cool street!

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Kroger goes out of business in the Village. I went to Trader Joes yesterday and the experience was great. No more long trips over to RO.
But back to Kroger. It's dirty, overcrowded with the layout of the store and there's NEVER any help when you need it. I think Jonna is dreaming if he thinks he should build a "Fresh Fare" to replace the existing store. Not to mention he'd be taking away parking for the stores on the block, ie Starbucks, Gymboree and those stores. I know for a fact, they don't want the new Kroger/Fresh Fare to take away their parking.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4396
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think regardless of whether Kroger's stays or leaves GPC, that building will not be there much longer. It's pretty crappy, and a new building that's more sympathetic to the street is certainly warranted.

I'm pretty sure Jonna's plan is no longer in consideration.

I was really surprised they had such a piss-poor plan considering that Jonna has a nice track-record of good developments in other parts of Detroit.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I hope Kroger goes out of business in the Village."

Not a chance. GP is probably one of Kroger's most profitable markets in SE Michigan.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonna's plan is still in play. Or at least on paper it is.
My point was that those smaller retailers like Rennell and Company depend on that back parking lot for patronage. I'd hate to see those smaller shops take a hit because of Kroger's move.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger is suppose to be closing or moving from that location? I didn't hear about that.

I was going to say, Kroger is able to play all 52 of their cards if they have to with TJ's opening across the street.

Ah, never mind. I just found the news article about it in the Grosse Pointe News. FreshFare is something like their Premier stores.

Remind you, the proposal for the Kroger expansion came well before a TJ's was thought about.

Why don't they just build a mega municipal garage for the village? I know about the one for TJ, but I mean the city coudl haev worked with them to make the garage big enough to serve the smaller shops.

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 03, 2008)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4397
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the parking demand is a problem. Street spots can normally be found during the day, the Kroger parking lot isn't going anywhere, there is a huge lot behind CVS (although it is a development parcel up for grabs now), and the lot behind Borders and the middle block across from there will be developed on, but the middle block (NW of St.Clair/Kercheval) will have a three-story garage built. And there are always the side-streets...so I don't think parking will be a problem.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thanks for the parking info. The only thing is that my mom says that all the parking spaces are now on meters limited to one hour. That makes it kind of hard to spend any quality time in one place or another. What if you are in the store and it's been 55 minutes? Do you leave your cart and go to put more money in the meter a block away? That's the problem she's found. Is there going to be non-metered parking? Or is there now and she just hasn't seen it?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4399
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Non-metered parking is available on some of the sidestreets, namely Neff, and St. Claire and Notre Dame south of Kercheval. Most of the large lots are at least two hour limits.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, two hours to shop all the stores isn't cool. And, if you actually live on the side streets you don't want people parking in front of your house. Not to mention, side street parking would be limited.

I know from years of shopping The Village in the olden days that more than two hours is needed. Shop, lunch, shop more, etc. But, thanks for the info,Mack! I'll tell mom that two hours is the meter limit, not one.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11315
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a flat lot behind the buildings on the west side of mack. Rates are exceptionally cheap and there is no time limit.

Or, and heaven forbud andyone do this in fat SE Mich. Park on a side street and walk a block or two.

Bunch of lazy asses if you ask me. (with the exception of handicapped or senior citizens).

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Or, and heaven forbud andyone do this in fat SE Mich. Park on a side street and walk a block or two.

Bunch of lazy asses if you ask me. (with the exception of handicapped or senior citizens)."

That's why they call us the Motor City. We build 'em and we live by 'em

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in the Village. Premier spots are 2 hours. Spots further back are a little cheaper and allows for up to 10 hours of parking. If the City of Grosse Pointe was smart they would eliminate metered parking. When Jakes's closed the community had residual anger and took it out on existing and new stores. The individual merchants are trying very hard to woo back customers but it is an uphill battle.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Sumas, that's what I'm sayin'. take out the meters and you would have a much more shopper-friendly environment.

To anyone saying that walking two blocks to the stores is a treat I would say, HA. When was the last time you went to buy something and thought it was a 'treat' to walk two blocks?

Maybe you live downtown and walk everywhere, but that's not the way the other taxpayers roll.

(Message edited by kathinozarks on February 03, 2008)

Aluminum
Username: Aluminum

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will not get rid of the metered parking because they are using the money from parking to pay for the garage.

Below is a link to the City's Kercheval Place Development page that has the parking study. It found that they have a surplus of parking.

http://www.grossepointemi.us/p age/page/3637345.htm

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking two blocks is no problem... unless you're carrying 40 lbs. of groceries and it's zero degrees and snowing sideways. It IS kind of important that grocery stores have plenty of adjacent parking where you can take the cart with you.
I got the Trader Joe's flyer in my mail! Woo! Definitely going there in the next week.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4401
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No parking meters in a downtown area? Guys what kind of dreamworld are you living in?

Two hours is more than enough for grocery shopping. If you're looking to spend ALL DAY browsing the Village or hanging out in a coffeehouse or something, then parking a block away on a sidestreet and walking 5 minutes should be nothing, only a small component of the long day you plan to spend there.

Jt1 I agree with your point but I'm not sure why you brought up Mack Ave. That's not the Village. I think you meant Kercheval.