Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hockey In the Hood IV at Jack Adams Rec Center Feb 15-17 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Adams "graduates," alumni, former volunteers, and the general public are all invited out this weekend to see a truly unique hockey tournament featuring inner city kids from around the country and especially our own Detroit talent. The Adams Butzel Recreation center is located at 10500 Lyndon btw. Wyoming and Meyers on the west side (1/2 mile south of Fenkell)

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshot s/2008/02/detroit_hockey_assoc iation_red.html

For an overview of the Detroit Hockey Assoc. see

http://www.detroithockey.org/

(Message edited by hamtragedy on February 12, 2008)

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's try that last one again.

http://www.detroithockey.org/

This is one of Detroit's truly hidden gems.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My nephew plays at Clark Park on the outdoor ice rink there.

His team is playing in this tournament as they did last year.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to skate at Jack Adams when it was an outdoor rink (1960's). I love skating outside!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 936
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have followed hock in the hood for a few years now. I think it is a tremendous program that has great results on and off the ice.

There is some great talent coming into Detroit from around the country this weekend. I cant wait to check it out!

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's awesome! I love hockey and love inclusiveness even more.

This is good to see.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of hockey, does anyone know of any drop-in hockey at Jack Adams, City Arena, or any other arean in the city (or even an inner ring burb)?

I have been playing hockey all of my life, and been living downtown for over 2 years now... and am tired of driving far out of the city to play.

If anyone knows of any drop-in, or mens league teams in need of another player, please feel free to email me at: chop1@comcast.net
Thanks!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in the same boat Dave. I played hockey my entire life until I moved downtown 2 years ago. I watch the NHL and attend college hockey games as much as ever, but playing the game seems like a sacrifice I was forced to make by moving here.

I would love to join a league or find some open hockey that doesnt force me to drive 30 miles to play.

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I play in a rec league with a few guys from work at the Taylor Sports Plex, but I would love to find something in town as well. Keep me posted or maybe we can try to organize something too. Any ideas?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be all for something at City...lol, maybe a DY beer league team or something! The hardest part of moving to Detroit (city) was giving up the group that I skated with back in Lansing. Gotta find something new here.

sorry to thread hijack. my bad.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, sorry about the hijacking also.....

I skated in a great league out in Brighton, and although I don't miss Brighton at all...lol, I miss that league!

I am all for starting a beer league, (or a team if there already is a league) at city arena or something. I also know a few guys that live in Detroit, and the inner ring burbs, (some of which were driving out to Brighton too, and other places) that want to skate also... at the very least, may be we could at least rent the ice one night a week or something!

Lowereast and Detroitstar, here's my email: chop1@comcast.net

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 583
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to see the rink is still operating.
I worked there in the early 70's as a rink guard for the City's Parks & Rec. dept.
I also played and refereed a few games.
Gordie Howe used to drop by to see Murray play from time to time.
Jack Adams wife was there to at one time.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of 4 rinks off the top of my head that probably have drop in hockey and are about 15-20 minutes from downtown if you go the speed limit. Allen Park Civic Arena, Melvindale Civic Arena, Adray Arena in Dearborn, and Lincoln Park Civic Arena.

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm in the same boat Dave. I played hockey my entire life until I moved downtown 2 years ago. I watch the NHL and attend college hockey games as much as ever, but playing the game seems like a sacrifice I was forced to make by moving here.

I would love to join a league or find some open hockey that doesnt force me to drive 30 miles to play."

Same boat I am in...

I thought City Arena had drop in on saturday mornings??

Motorcitydave I just sent joo a email

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Clark Park has drop in hockey.

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish this was going on when my family lived in the city when i was younger, i have played hockey my whole life! I will try and go to this, who else is going to be there? i hope to meet some DYes'ers there!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd like to get in on some hockey, maybe a forum team or something?

Umbound

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Yes Wings lol

Detroitstar

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umbound, I will be there for sure. I have no clue what the schedule is though. I cant seem to find one posted online.

I will be attending the championship games at Joe Louis Arena as well.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who live downtown, Windsor is always an option for beer league hockey. Quite a few people from Detroit play over in Windsor.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Sports Center on E. Lafayette (across from King High) has open ice nearly EVERY Mon. thru Fri from 11:30 - 1:30 (lunch time), not so much a drop in, but it's $4. Bring your own pucks, helmets recommended. You'll find a couple regulars who may direct you to a more perm. drop in. Figure skaters are also welcome, so be nice. There's a gate there, so follow the directions at the gate.

Jack Adams had a regular drop in Sundays at noon, maybe not this weekend, but I'll update that. That's a fast skate, featuring Jack Adams alum and current players and coaches. Be advised, there is contact.

There is a new rink is Hazel Park near the race course, (10 minutes from downtown, not in traffic). They have drop-ins, just not sure when.

Clark Park. Every thursday at 8 or 9 pm, Call and check. It's listed under Detroit Parks and rec. Ask for Anthony if you can't get a definite answer. Be advised that you change in the lobby. This is outdoors. The colder the better!!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a ton for that list! My winter has been miserable without regular ice time! I will be finding a time to check these places out...it certainly helps that City Arena is just a few blocks down the road. : )

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the Hockey in the Hood Tournament this weekend, I can't seem to find a definitive schedule, (they keep sending me links that don't work) but if you stop by anytime Saturday morning or afternoon, you will catch a game. Unless I'm out there with my learn to skate kids and we're having the ROYALE (40 kids chasing one puck).

In previous years, Lord Stanley's Dominion Challenge Cup has been in the house. The guy with the white gloves is there too. Since this is a recognition of Willie O'ree's breaking the color barrier 50 years ago, I can't imagine the Cup won't be here. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but in previous years it's been there Saturday from noon till about 3. Be prepared to park on Lyndon, as the lot fills up. (This is code for "Do not leave valuables in your car.")

For those who don't know about the Detroit Hockey Assoc., the NHL, as part of their Diversity Task Force, has donated over 200 COMPLETE sets of equipment (inc. skates helmets, sticks). For a refundable $75 kids can use the equipment for the entire season, and if they want, can roll that deposit into bigger equipment next year. For another $75 kids can learn to skate 2 hours a week, October till march. "150 bucks for the entire season?" you ask. Yes.

The program has been there since the 70's, has had some rough times, but still keeps plugging away. Some kids have gone to the Ontario Hockey League, CCHA, or other smaller Div II schools. I still have a couple formers playing Juniors somewhere.

It's truly a hidden gem, so hidden that most suburbanites don't know it exists, or just don't want to drive to Detroit. Sorry for the generalization but after having been a part of the program for over 30 years, as player and coach, I can come to no other conclusion. And, to erase any confusion, the program is, in fact, OPEN TO EVERYONE.

Come catch a game this weekend, and oh, keep your stick on the ice.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the damn phone number to clark park is constantly busy!

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got an e-mail from yesterday (Valentine's Day). The Cup was there already on thursday. Sorry to dash anyone's hopes, but come and check out a game this weekend.

Umbound

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody go to this? I wanted to but i had to much homework; who went?

Umbound

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or photos

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.