Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Michigan Sports Hall of Fame Induction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the pleasure of being "the media" today for the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame induction @ the Max Fisher today.

I met some cool folk.. Glen Rice, Desmond Howard, Stevie Y, Dave Bing, Ray Scott, Frank Beckmann.
Bill Bonds was there in classic form as well, being the Detroit version of Ron Burgundy. Illitch was on hand as well, I should have grilled him about some of his holdings.

Anyway, here are some of the photos
http://crush.smugmug.com/galle ry/4323585_cCcsW

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7093
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics. And what a nice location for the HOF to be in now.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool gig for you VizionD!
Havent seen Ray Scott in years, he looks great as did Charlie Sanders. Billy Bonds looked like he could step right into the news desk.
Thanks for the pics

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the Michigan Sports Hall of fame at now? Did it ever move over by Campus Martius?

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My feelings are biased by his right-wing radio show on WJR, but I don't understand how Frank Beckmann gets into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. Is longevity the only criteria for getting in when it comes to broadcasting? He has won the Michigan Sportscaster of the Year three times - that seems to be his chief claim to fame.
But I don't think he's that good broadcasting U-M games. He comes off as old and crusty.
Here's Frank's bio, from the Hall's web site

FRANK BECKMANN
He began his career as a news reporter at WJR in 1972. He later served as sports director from 1979 – 1995 and began the long-running Sportsrap show in1981 and served as host until 1995. He also served as the sports anchor on the Paul W. Smith morning show. He served as the voice of the Lions for ten seasons and for the Tigers on radio and TV for seven more. He’s also called games for the Pistons and Red Wings making him the only broadcaster to call games for all four pro sports teams. He has served as the play-by-play voice of the Wolverines for 25 years. Has won the Michigan Sportscaster of the Year 3 times and was honored for his play-by-play work by the Detroit News and the AP and UPI in 1985. He has hired many current sportscasters including George Blaha and Dan Dickerson.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.