Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Where did all the alleys go? » Archive through January 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some days I really wish someone hadn’t killed off my alley.

I have no idea when it happened, or why. I moved in seven years ago, long after the decision was made. My house was built in 1925 and at some point along the way, the alley was vacated and the land given to homeowners to lengthen their back yards by 9 feet, or so my deed tells me.

I’d gladly give back that land on days when parking is scarce.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080115/BLO G13/80115025/1012/

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I miss the alleys too. When We were kids you could get from one side of the city to the other, just traveling at your own pace and talking to almost every neighbor/homeowner along the way.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11361
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when they all went away in Dearborn.

Summer of '78. Dearborn's maintenance men, driving those yellow trucks, aided by temporary employment gleaned from a government jobs program.

I know, I was in the program. Cleared the alleys, planted the grass.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing about alleys is that they keep the trash off the curb in front of the house. If alleys are maintained and kept fairly clean, they're a great concept.

Chi-alley

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love my alley in Hamtramck. It (and my garage) are always a last resort for parking needs.

(Message edited by 1953 on January 16, 2008)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I love my Hamtramck alley as well. I just wish my neighbors kept it up as well as I do.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk wrote: "I just wish my neighbors kept it up as well as I do."

I have the same issue. While I tend to my alley (closed mid-block) others do not, often turning it into a dumping ground. I think it is a lack of understanding that the alley is their responsibility, and a lack of enforcement (to both the dumpers and the property owners).

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some alley photos from Flickr...

Indian Village 1

Indian Village 2

Indian Village 3

(Message edited by gogo on January 16, 2008)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One spring when the snow melted the bodies of two executed thugs were found in the alley a few blocks from out home. Our west side alleys were becoming highways for criminals before the City finally closed them down.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I was working in Ferndale a year back, I was surprised at how long I could drive down an alley that paralleled Woodward, heading north from downtown Ferndale.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know who to check with to see if your alley is officially closed? I keep waffling back and forth between wanting to fence it off and spending hours cleaning up the messes behind my neighbor's homes.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly don't miss my alley. It's cut down on some of the crime, especially home break-ins. I'll admit though my area isn't typical, because I'm on a well-travelled, well-lit street so the alleys were really the only way for burglars to sneak in and out without major risk of being noticed.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is going to date me...but...I remember the trash man on a horse drawn wagon coming down our alley on Fordham near 7 & Gratiot on about a monthly basis. He'd blow his horn to let people know that he was coming in case anyway had scrap to sell to him. This was in the 40's and very early 50's. For kids it was a great opportunity to sell him scrap metal that we'd collected from new construction sites to get enough to buy candy at the neighborhood grocery store. The alley also was an alternative playground for neighborhood kids...it flooded behind our home every winter which provided my first skating rink where I could use my Christmas clamp-on double runners.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way to reduce crime in and from alleys is to hire more police and have more patrols... on foot, preferably.

Cops walkin' a beat... what a concept!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4360
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alleys are our allies.

Gogo, I took the first picture you posted. I certainly don't mind the link.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My alley in Chicago is more brightly lit than many streets elsewhere. Seriously. At least 85% of the times I leave/arrive at my house, it's through the alley rather than the street.

(Message edited by focusonthed on January 16, 2008)

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they closed many alleys up in port huron in the 70s as well. my dad kept his travel trailer in the back yard and went to the city council and planning division to get the city to give him a waiver of some sort to park his trailer beside the house (ord against that) so they just ran a fence across our alley at the far end, leaving it clear enough that he could get in the yard. my first house had a closed alley as my driveway. it was a pain in the winter because it was 153' of snow shoveling to get to the garage at the back of the property...

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alleys are good friends of city life. if I were king, all the alleys would come back

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometime from the 50s to 70s many were closed as they were seen as crime attractors and unsightly. Many were closed and split between the lots evenly which gave them a bit more land. I remeber seeing a public awareness picture before maybe even on here. It showed kids playing in grass and half the image merged with it was a dirty alley a way to show the change from a dirty alley to a clean safe play area for kids. MAny Detroit alleys were closed. Often the only reason some will be open is if a particular homeowners garage opens only to the alley. Almost all streets in the D had alleys and many were vacated. Most properties include 1/2 of the vacated alley. It is interesting to see in Texas that many typical subdivisions with Mcmansions and curvelinear streets are still built with alleys and even rear facing garages! One of the first threads I started here on DY was on Alleys of the D!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alleys were great places to catch bees and sneak into yards to get fruits such as cherries, apples, pears, plums, marberries, and grapes. Before the modern-day portable basketball rims that kids put out in the streets, we used to affix a basketball rim to either the back of the garage or on a telephone pole. Did our Evel Knieval stuff in the alleys too. Great memories.

BTW, Grosse Pointe Park has some of the cleanest alleys I've ever seen. Also, regarding Chicago, does it still take three men to pick up the garbage from the alleys?

(Message edited by royce on January 16, 2008)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny my first thought on reading the title of this thread is that Hamtramck has some nice alleys. Ferndale has a nice alley way just south of Nine Mile Rd.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, most alleys in Hamtramck look like shit. I walk the dog every day thru town and for the most part they are fenced off & forgotten about.

I'm a block S of Carpenter, so the people that live behind me have the Detroit prairie view (tall grass, old grafitti school bus, vandalized homes) from their front porches, so they all hang out in the back. As a result, my end of the alley looks okay, (I got flowers behind my painted fence), but the bar 5 houses down could care less, and the businesses at the end of my block haven't done a thing to tend to their debris or the peeling paint for years. Come to think of it, I'll call & complain tomorrow. See what that does!?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

learned how to ride my bike in the alley between stahalin & artisian,[joy&evergreen]. got good enuff riding the bike to go to the dairy queen by myself and ride back eatin ice cream.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alleys were an alternative to streets for play areas back in the 50's. We managed to play baseball in our alley. Because they were narrow, it taught us to hit straight to keep from constantly jumping fences to retrieve the ball; but it was better than having to dodge parked cars on the street and having to wait for passing traffic every couple of minutes. I have to admit, though, that even way out in our Kelly-Moross area, they did become unsightly; but as kids we didn't care. It was a fun way to travel through the neighborhood and see what people were doing in their yards. It was also a great place to hide out from our parents to sneak a smoke. They also kept us from being boxed in by 3 neighbors instead of the typical 2 on each side.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned to ride my bike in our alley in Hamtramck. Lots of scraped knees until I figured out that "pedal backwards" thing to stop!
We also used to play ball back there and other games. I don't recall the alley as being the most pleasant place, but it was generally clean enough to play in.
It's funny....since I didn't travel much as a child....Didn't really leave Hamtramck too often...I had no idea that alleys weren't everywhere! I remember talking about "the alley" with a college friend and him having no idea what I was referring to.
I live in Lincoln Park now and it still seems odd to me to have the neighbors from the next block's yards back right up to our yard.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on the Far Northeast side of Detroit. I remember, as a kid, playing in the alleys. The alley was always considered a shortcut when going anywhere (whether it really was or not).

The city stopped using the alley sometime in early - mid '80s. They wouldn't let the homeowners extend the back yards though, never did find out why.

A few years after I moved some of the neighbors "Claimed" their piece of the alley. My mom (who still lives there) never moved her fence to take over the extra space.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a rear-facing garage to our alley and love the extra space in our front yard where a driveway would have been. Plus, when it snow-storms, there's no long driveway for shoveling!

As far as folks fencing in their alleyways ... I wonder how many people really needed that extra 10 feet of yard...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also, regarding Chicago, does it still take three men to pick up the garbage from the alleys?

Not sure about 3, but there are definitely at least 2. One driving the truck, 1 loading the bins.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now may alleys that never have the fence extended have turned into mini thin strips of tall thick growing vegetation. Sadly to I have seen some where there is an unimaginable amount of garbage! I never understood why people would just throw there trash over the fence and let it pile up. Why would you want to live next to your garbage?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Trenton still has alleys, and for the most part they are well maintained. Most houses don't have front facing garages so they use the alley to get to them. As far as crime is concerned, the city has a low crime rate. While I don't know how alleys have affected crime in the city I certainly had no fear of my alley. In fact most alleys are lit as well as the streets.