Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Thieves use truck to crash through Detroit fur store « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2057
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080212/M ETRO/802120413

quote:

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Thieves use truck to crash through Detroit fur store
Tom Greenwood / The Detroit News

Smash and grab thieves used a large rental truck to force their way into a store specializing in fur coats this morning. According to a report on WJBK-TV news, the thieves used a large rental truck to smash their way into the Dittrich Furs store, in the 3700 block of Third Street, near the Fisher Building.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 817
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a guy who owns a liquor store in Detroit and told me of how they crashed a large truck into a wall of his store one night. I asked if anything was left by morning. He said his shelves were completely bare! all of them! He said in four years he has had a couple of robberies and about 15 attempts where the alarm went off!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone sees any "bargain" furs being sold at freeway offramps, you might want to call the cops.
If anyone gets a lovely new fur for Valentine's Day from an otherwise broke boyfriend who rented a truck recently, be very suspicious.
Seriously, WTF? How do they plan to unload a bunch of stolen fur coats without getting caught?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4531
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article fails to say if anything was stolen. More great reporting.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5052
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$9 million = 180 police officers at $50,000 salary for 1 year.

Dougw

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I call it "Bob Barker's Revenge".

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 555
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting point, Lowell.

If they don't say they've stolen anything, how can they say they are thieves? If they didn't steal anything, they could be "would-be thieves."

Or, they could be disgruntled former employees who got angry and decided to do in the facade, or something of the like.

Yes, most likely, they were trying to steal stuff - but never assume as it makes an a&& of you and me.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would be surprised at the types of and quantities of items that are sold here in the underground economy. Unfortunately, whoever did it will have no problem getting rid of them. I say unfortunately because the cost of theft just trickles down to us honest folk.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attempted burglary is just as punishable as burglary.

Dougw

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another story with a different outcome for the burglar: http://tinyurl.com/2fhfvb
quote:

Homeowner Shoots, Kills Invader
WDIV.com
UPDATED: 2:31 pm EST February 12, 2008

DETROIT -- A man was shot eight times and killed Monday night as he tried to rob a home on Detroit's east side, police said.

The homeowner's mother was sleeping in the house at the time and was not harmed. The homeowner is not expected to face charges.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The animals want their fur back.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ED_golick: Thanks for the laugh!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks. I'm no fan of fur, but it's not like the owners just now decided to start doing it. The business has been in the Dittrich family a long time. And, when they could have easily pulled the store, they kept it there. Sigh.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Detroitnerd. And they'll probably hit 8 Mile now.

Can we get some good news in this godforsaken city for a change?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can we get some good news in this godforsaken city for a change?"

Sure can!

www.modeldmedia.com

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there's one less burglar working in EEV now, and one that probably needs a new pair of pants. That's sort of good news.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That sucks. I'm no fan of fur, but it's not like the owners just now decided to start doing it. The business has been in the Dittrich family a long time. And, when they could have easily pulled the store, they kept it there. Sigh."

I must say, they're possibly one of the only big name Detroit businesses that haven't abandoned the city and we treat them like this!?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You said it, Detroitrise. I hear Papa Dittrich loves to talk about old Detroit, the old DSR, etc. Sounds like a nice guy. Too bad this happened. :-(

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 news listings for fur coats on Craigslist since the break in.

I'm just sayin'!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.