Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mow to Own? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 554
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it. I'm listening to Here & Now right now on WDET and although I think Detroit has been working on a land bank program with the county (or did that die?), it's great to see the success that MSU and other have been having with it.

Apparently, in this story, the land bank of $3m or so created $112m in private wealth, and that wealth is in the hands of the people as home ownership.

Also, as I mentioned in my thread title, there are "mow to own" programs where people take care of the lots and then they get them. Talk about a great way to get property off of a burden of the city and into the hands of residents.

Now, I know that one of the big problems is clearing title in the city... apparently it's a gigantic mess.

If we could only unstick that part, we could get a grass-roots revival to gain serious steam and put the homes and investment in the hands of individuals and not have to go to developers (which although not evil, I'd rather see the wealth built by the residents themselves), clear whole neighborhoods, etc.

The best growth is organic, and the money would be in people's hands and build wealth in a community that needs that kind of boost.
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11590
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Won't eminent domain clear ANY title that doesn't have some sort of conflict within a period of time?

If there are no taxes paid on a property for a duration, that should make the space available on the open market...at least through a land bank.

I won't mow to own, but I will grown my own to own...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.