Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Michigan Malleable Iron Company in Delray « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I am a first time poster on the forum. I ran across it a couple of days ago. Saw all the great information and joined today. My question is does anyone have a photo or information about Michigan Malleable Iron Company. There were on Crossley and Gould in Delray. The address shows as 7740 Gould. My father worked there from 1927 until late 1956 when he was laid off due lack of work. They closed down shortly after.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5145
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That must have been a pretty small place because that part of Delray is (still) mostly houses. That plant would have been between the equivalent of 51st and 52nd Street.

Lpg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are shipping containers stored on the property now. The building was on the south side of Crossley in the second block west of Jefferson. I beleive the office was on Gould. I remember being inside only once as a small child.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5153
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RAILWAY CARS, BRICKS, AND SALT: THE INDUSTRIAL
quote:

The Michigan Car Company of Southwest Detroit was at the center of a network of McMillan and Newberry-owned firms. Some of these became part of the ACF empire. The Detroit Car Wheel Co. and the Detroit Pipe & Foundry Co. were located on the company’s primary site (#9). The latter plant produced cast iron pipe for water and gas mains and drainage systems. The Michigan Forge & Iron Co., a rolling mill and steam forge located at the foot of Clark St. (#7), manufactured wrought iron bars and car axles. The Detroit Steel & Springs Works (#41) specialized in railway car springs. The McMillan-Newberry investments in Detroit extended far beyond railway freight cars. Transportation interests included the Detroit Shipbuilding Co., which operated a dry dock at the foot of Clark St. (#10), and the Detroit-Cleveland Navigation Co., a leading Great Lakes transportation company. The Michigan State Telephone Co. and the Union Trust Co. were part of their business empire. Among other industrial properties were the westside Detroit Steamless Steel Tubes Co. and the Michigan Malleable Iron Co. (#18). In 1888, they established the Michigan Radiator & Mfg. Co. Four years later it merged with the Detroit Steam Radiator Co. and a Buffalo, NY, firm to create the American Radiator Company, the largest manufacturer of steam radiators and hot water boilers in the country.

quote:

Industrialization also brought the Hungarians to Delray. The first Hungarians came to Detroit in 1896. In 1898, following the move of the McMillan-owned Michigan Malleable Iron Co. plant (#18) to Delray, a contingent of Hungarians from Cleveland and Toledo arrived. It appears the company discovered the value of Hungarians as iron molders and coremakers following their use as strikebreakers in Cleveland. Other Hungarians followed to take up work at Solvay Process, the Michigan Pulp & Sulphite Co. (#45), and other emerging factories in the area, such as the Detroit Iron & Steel Co. (#54) which began pig iron production on Zug Island in 1902.

14 Detroit Gas & Coke Co. (1998 River Rd., bet. Cottrell & Solvay)

15 Solvay Process Co. (soda ash, ammonia, foundry & domestic coke, tar & pitch, River Rd., foot of Solvay Ave.)

18 Michigan Malleable Iron Co. (1905: Delray, bet. Crossley, St. Clair, and Anderson)

45 Detroit Sulphite Pulp & Paper Co. (Delray, at foot of Sulphite Ave.)

54 Detroit Iron & Steel Co. (Zug Island)

Lpg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the one. I just wish someone had a picture. I found my father's layoff notice from here. Dated Sept 21, 1956. I went there with my mother to see him once. He looked like a coal miner. I did not know who he was, until he spoke. When he came home from work we were not allowed to touch the bag he brought his dirty clothes home in. Nasty place.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LPG- Welcome to the forum!

Lpg

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. This looks like a great resource for information.

(Message edited by Lpg on February 13, 2008)

Lpg

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was able to contact a former employee and his wife who both worked at Michigan Malleable Iron Co. The company produced castings for Caterpillar, White, Dresser, Autocar and Gemmer among others. The company employed about 500 people. Many were family members. Several were 2nd generation to work there. The company was finally closed around 1960. Everything metal inside the building including the floors were sold for scrap. Does anyone know if any aerial photos were taken of Delray during the 30's, 40's or 50's ??

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5264
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CULMA photo from 1949 and later should show what was left then. Malleable was part of an older company that built railroad cars elsewhere in Detroit. Some of those railroad people started car companies in the early 1900s.

Lpg

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard: thanks for the info, I found the CULMA photo from 1949. Wish they were a little higher resolution.

(Message edited by lpg on February 20, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.