Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Edgewater Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any memories or pictures of the old Edgewater Park on Seven Mile and Grand River?

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.water-winterwonderl and.com/amuse.asp?id=301&type= 2

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what a great time...my dad and Iloved the old roller coaster...his face would light up like a chjilds...my smile would be a mile long...I also enjoyed the slide....

Gibran

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry but does anyone remember the animal park out Gratiot...past Mt Clements...near the Buffalo Burger place...?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of a place called Salt River Park on Gratiot near Richmond that looks like it used to be an old park. I have never seen it used very much as long as I can remember.... since the 80s!

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgewater was great!! The roller coaster and the Dutch-Shoes ride were scary stuff in the 50's. I think the canvas on the Cattepillar ride was original, as it always smelled of mildew when they put the top over you. In the 60's, they made it a snow scene ride of some sort. We saw the TV Batman and Robin, Tiny Tim, and my sisters favorite, Gene Pitney, during the summers. When they started the POP , pay one price, we stayed all day long!! Anyone remember the french fries with ketchup and vinegar? Those were great.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved those go-carts they had in the 50's. They were a lot of fun. Saw Sal Mineo there in 195?. They had a great funhouse too.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funhouse was great with cars going on 2 levels and going out on those small balconies then going back

Detroitdecor27
Username: Detroitdecor27

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny because I just responded to the Federals post about the federals that was at 7-grand and I moved into the 7-grand area in the 80's and Edgewater park was already demolished by that time but it is so weird to think that there was an amusement park so close to where I lived and I never even knew one was there!

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 319
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the sledge hammer to ring the bell by raising the slug up to the bell? If you did it three times in a row, you won a prize. I could always ring the bell only twice in a row. Superman himself couldn't ring it a third successive time. It was years before I learned how the carney guy kept from giving away prizes.

Great memories of the place and the people I spent time with in the park.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Vince Edwards? He played the character Dr. Ben Casey on the TV program of the same name. And he was a heart throb to all us young girls at the time. He was appearing at Edgewater Park and me and my friend Jackie took a bus to get there to see him. We wore our fashionable doctor shirts so we would stand out among the crowd! HA! All the other young girls there were wearing them too! Anyway, we got up real close to the stage and there was a photographer from the news there. And we got our picture in the paper. I'm standing there looking up at him and I'm all agog! hee hee. I've got that clipping somewhere. Geesh! Had not thought about that in ages.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7096
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat, that old carny game was always rigged! He'd lean on the guy wires (which were attached to the bell wire) during the first two hits and then slack off on the third winning hit. There was no way a weight was going to shimmy up that loose wire.

But one of my fondest memories were of sneaking into Edgewater Park via the Rouge River that ran alongside the park. One could sneak in behind Taft Middle School, walk down the trails and pop right into the back of the park.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran
I remember the animal park. I have pictures of my daughters feeding the animals after we had been to Emil's. I think they are from about '65.
I will see if I can find them.

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm recalling a jingle on WKNR from about 1966 or so about going to "fantabulous Edgewater Park."

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7098
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd query here but does anyone remember a particular fried chicken place on the SW corner of 7 Mile & Shiawassee, just across the ways from Edgewater Park? I could never remember the name of the place but it had some killer coleslaw back in the day.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up about a mile from Edgewater off of 7 mile. We went there when I was a little tyke--I remember a kiddie boat ride where you sat in a little boat that went around in circles. About the time I would have really enjoyed going to Edgewater the place had more of a reputation as a hang-out for the rough crowd, I wasn't allowed to go.
I was at the auction where they sold off the park. The Merry-go-round fetched $2500, the auctioneer joked that the "ride had been modernized, those pesky wooden horses have been replaced by these nice fiberglass ones".
The original wooden horses would have brought huge money piecemeal, but were probably destroyed by the time the fiberglass replacements went in.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the highlights of a Detroit kid was going to Edgewater on "Safety Day" They would have a day reserved for all the Safety Squad kids from all the schools. As I remember it, it was free, and boy it was fun. I remember one time being stuck up at the top of the Ferris Wheel for a time and the girl sitting next to me (my best friend and still is my oldest friend to this day)screaming "I'm going to throw up!" It was great fun, and a lot closer than Bob-Lo for this west-side girl.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi 9936sussex

Wow!, Safety Patrol Day at Edgewater brings back memories.

I do remember seeing CLUB 1270, with Lee Alan and Joel Sebastian hosting a dance and broadcasting live from there.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I grew up in the downriver area, I had only been to Edgewater once. It was our sixth grade field trip. I was excited as hell to go on the roller coaster. I remember it like it was yesterday. At the bottom of the first hill, my head got jerked back something fierce. I didn't care, it was thrilling. Of course I felt some "sweat" on the back of my neck. Towards the end of the ride, I reached back to wipe the "sweat" which turned out to be blood. I cracked my head open on that beeyotch! I still have a bump on my skull, thank you very much.

Nowadays, I could have sued and would now OWN 7-mile and GR, but back in the day we didn't think that way. Ah, the fond memory remains...

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran asked "sorry but does anyone remember the animal park out Gratiot...past Mt Clements...near the Buffalo Burger place...?"

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/97048.html

Gibran

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much...these are great threads...brings back so many memories...I do appreciate your time and efforts...I get thinking about my life and how rich it was as a kid in Detroit...and this site brings it all together...Thanks Lowell and allposters ...

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved that rickety old wooden roller coaster! I remember a rumor that went around about that coaster, how one of the cars came loose coming around the big curve at the top and flew into the trees, killing all the kids instantly. It sure scared us, but not enough to keep us from riding.

One of the concession stands sold a treat we called a "Sidewalk Sundae"; a square of vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate and crushed peanuts then stuffed into a square cone. They had these at the State Fairground bandshell for the summer band concerts, too. Wish I had one right now!

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papermoon: I remember those "sidewalk sundaes"--they were yummy. Did they sell those at the State Fair, too? I used to love it when the chocolate would drip over on to the cone. Haven't thought about those in years....

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 369
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES!

Edgewater Park Fries in a Cup were THE BEST!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.