Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone have old city directories? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
I was asked to help someone find out what stood at 719 Griswold in 1913.
Today, that address is around the Dime, but the city's addresses were renumbered in 1921.
Therefore, I'm looking for someone who has a city directory from 1910-1915 to help.
Otherwise, it's off to the Burton, and I can't get there till next week.
Thanks so much in advance, team.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3588
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

719 Griswold (new address) would be on Griswold between Fort and the first alley to the north. Before the Dime Bank Building was built, there was a collection of stores and offices, not more than a few stories high, collectively known as the Walker Block (as in Hiram Walker). He bought a baptist church building which fronted Fort and later added on to the east side, creating the strip of offices which were occupied by a variety of businesses.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes, hie yourself on over to John King Books and see how old of a directory he might have. I suspect you will be shown the basement of the auxiliary building. If anyone has a directory of that type, I'd expect John to have it. Lodge Freeway at Howard; if you have never been there it's worth a trip even if you weren't looking for specialized information.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3589
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably does have one or two from that decade, but at $200-$400 each, Burton is a better value.

(Message edited by MikeM on February 16, 2008)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mike, but I buy enough books from John that he almost doesn't mind that I use him as a library every once in a while when I need some information from a book he has but I don't want to buy it. The most recent was an 1850s German-language family bible which we gave as a wedding present to my wife's niece, who was a German major in college and now teaches at a high school in Indiana. Set us back about the amount of money you put in your post :-)

I told my wife once, quite some time ago, the perfect birthday present for me would be a U-Haul truck and $10,000, of which I would spend $2,000 to build bookshelves in every room of the house and the other $8,000 at King Books. (Actually I might reserve $20 for the two of us to have lunch at El Comal while we're down that way.)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Mercy also has directories in their archives as I am sure almost any library in Detroit would as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.