Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Google offers 360-degree Street View of Metro Detroit » Archive through December 11, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071211/BLOG01/ 71210064

Check it out for yourself: http://maps.google.com/

They've got most of western Wayne County, a little bit of southern Oakland, and about a quarter of Detroit proper.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WEEEOOW!! awesome!! This was really useful when I was living in LA. Glad to see it come to Detroit! But when will they finish the rest of the city? Seems a bit weird that they have almost all of Garden City mapped out but almost nothing from NE and NW Detroit or the Pointes. Too scared to drive around in the D?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, a lot of the views they do have are from some of the roughest parts of town, so I'd be surprised if that was the reason. It is very random though; there are a few places where a few hundred feet of some residential street has images, but nothing else in the neighborhood does. If you look straight down you can see the car they used to take the pictures, it looks like they strapped the camera to the roof. This is way too much fun.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah now I'm not gonna be able to finish this damn paper...

Seems strange to me that they made sure to get all the vacant lots around the Eddystone but didn't get the East-West streets in North Cass Corridor or anything around Wayne State. Also New Center is lacking coverage. Seems like those areas would've been more helpful than, say, the decimated areas around the GM Poletown plant. Also what's with not getting Griswold, Congress, or Shelby downtown?

(Message edited by gsgeorge on December 11, 2007)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just figure the driver got lost a few times and thats the reason for the missing blocks. We dont exactly have an easily navigable city to out of towners. 1/2 grid 1/2 spoke with a bunch of dead ends and expressways thrown in for good measure.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is something else.....

I can almost read the plate number on my car in my driveway. I can even see my neighbors walking their dog!

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I spot jjaba in the window:
http://tinyurl.com/33epbl

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The imagery was probably taken around the first week of September, as the marquee at the Fox Theatre shows Bjork coming Sept. 11. I haven't tried other methods of dating yet.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The imagery was taken with a system developed by Immersive Media. The camera is a piece of work--it has 11 lenses. Software stitches the images together to create the 360* view.
http://www.immersivemedia.com/ demo/demo.php

It took several weeks to collect the data. Eyeballing the map, Google collected imagery on 3 to 4k miles of road minimum. I would be surprised if they averaged more than 15 mph given the amount of local/subdivision streets.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amazing that they would get cul-de-scas in Livonia and skip downtown Royal Oak, Birmingham, Ann Arbor, Pontiac, and most of Detroit. But I guess we should be happy with what's here.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 314
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a feeling that this is not everything that they surveyed. They are probably still compiling and uploading data. Expect to see more and more areas fill in as time goes on. Google has used this method for other enhancements to their maps program in the past.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think I spot jjaba in the window:
http://tinyurl.com/33epbl

Jjaba, if you're going to have two with everything, you really should go light on the onions.

Valerie
Username: Valerie

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clark1mt: I was think the very end of August, or first weekend of September. The Fillmore has a labor day party listed on their marquee.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is too creepy.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, they skipped a lot. Missed half of Campus Martius, Woodward below CM, Greektown, the Esat Side, etc., not to mention suburbs.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Street view wasn't available in Detroit 2 days ago.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is too creepy.

Yeah... I took a virtual walk down my street in NYC and saw the same car parked outside of my building that I saw this morning when I was leaving for work.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SLUMPY is immortalized!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They didn't drive through Zug Island, Delray, or most of the industrial section of West Jefferson :-(

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCARY......

I love it

<313>

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The East Side has been insulted!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hhmm. Something is amiss. My brother-in-law's wooden ramp, which leads from his porch to the sidewalk, is not in the photo. The ramp has been there for most of the past ten years.

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&t type=&q=DET&ie=UTF8&ll=42.3996 61,-83.022845&spn=0.007416,0.0 20084&z=16&om=1&layer=c&cbll=4 2.400127,-83.024498

So those streets are just blocked off by crash barriers?

Weird ...

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been surfing these maps for a while. Our house, which has a bright red roof on it, is extremely visible. The roof was put on maybe 4 years ago.

Ravine perhaps the photos of your brothers house are a bit older.
Damn that means the government had these images available for a while now. Yah think I am paranoid? That would be a big YES.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look "down" you can see the car that is taking the pictures. It appears there is a silver car and some was done by a red car.

You can even see some of the equipment strapped onto the roof.

look on state street behind the book-caddy, they are unloading steal beams right off the truck!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4026
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might be able to capture a reflection of the car from a shop window too.

This feature starts out fine but eventually the "word balloon" containing the image goes blank for me on this system. Has anyone else noticed that problem?

Jimaz

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I tried it on another system and it doesn't go blank but it becomes inoperable. Eventually it just shows a static black image with a yellow road line.

Imagine what could be done with this technology if these cameras were built into every car made!

Bearinabox

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeti, I'm not really sure what you mean. I clicked on your link and it just showed a particularly desolate stretch of Van Dyke.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4028
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Yeti's link was off by about a block. Try St. Cyril & Marjorie or maybe Winfield & Marjorie.

(Message edited by Jimaz on December 11, 2007)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I see it now. I wonder why that is.