Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ann Arbor to Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if this has been posted. I, for one, do not buy it.

Construction starting in '08? Yeah right!

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/ 02/13/interstate-traveler-hydr ogen-super-highway-world’s-first-multi-utility-high-sp eed-rail-system/

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This?
http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/ 02/13/interstate-traveler-hydr ogen-super-highway-world%e2%80 %99s-first-multi-utility-high- speed-rail-system/

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks plausible in the future, but I would think that it would take longer than a year to even engineer it...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of those ideas are innovative for sure, but it's hard to imagine that there would be one system that would encompass all of those ideas.

Eboyer

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thing has been floating around for years. I remember first seeing it in 2003 on the web. It looks like this blog just stumbled across their website and ripped some pictures. There's no first hand info there or info not found on their outdated website.

Eboyer

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't think it was "real."

No quotes from reputable sources or anything.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I responded to this rendering:

http://www.unibrows.com/images /intltraveler7.jpg

"My concern involves the woman and man in the illustration of the passenger car who are facing away from the windows as it seems most passengers are expected to do. Are they positioned that way in this otherwise deserted car because that’s where they want to be or because it’s impossible to sit in the front seats where the windshield slopes down over where their heads are supposed to be, causing them major back problems while they try reading the newspaper article about how hydrogen economy is cartoon science?

Are any cars fitted with lasers that go 'PEW PEW'?"

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meet the Jetsons!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 627
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meet the new county sales tax to operate regional mass transit.

People who go out to eat can pay more to pay for someone's train or bus ride, if that is what you DY'ers want to vote for. That even includes my ride if I'm lucky to get mass transit service again.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just add a third lane between 23 and State Street, on I-94 and you will make a lot of Michigan football fans a lot happier.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Hunchentoot

This is not the first time a "mass transit rail system" has been proposed? When I was living in Ypsi in the 80's I seem to recall SEMTA had some plan. The plan was no where near this "elaborate" or futuristic...of course it was 1983 or 1984.
They stopped the...and I am not sure what you would call it...but I think it was 1987-88 when they stopped the 7am to 9am and then 4p to 6p inbound/outbound traffic left turn lanes on Grand River...wasn't that due to a reduced number of people working in dowwntown Detroit? Amtrak removed Ypsilanti off their map altogether during the 80's.
While I think this is a "kick-ass" idea...is there really a demand for something like this?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo--
Once the Jeffries opened, the need for the through-lanes on Grand River ended.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.