Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Paris Cafe - closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Paris cafe appears closed for good.

I was a fairly regular customer here, and I thought they were doing pretty good business. The coffee was good, the staff was GREAT and the breakfast sandwiches were even better.

It was a great location and the store itself was very comfortable. I am sad to see it go.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that is sad.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Business did seem pretty steady. Anybody know the story?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3854
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked that place and seemed very busy. Too bad

Detroitstar

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone recommend another high quality coffee shop in the Lafayette Park neighborhood? I loved waking up and taking a stroll through the park to grab coffee and a bacon/egg/cheese bagel. Perhaps somewhere in Eastern Market?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh, that is too bad. I enjoyed going there from time to time. That's another local coffee shop gone (the other being the Amsterdam.)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta sell a lot of coffee to stay open!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a shame. They made a go of it, but they always were reamarking (as I remember) of slow sales and having other issues.

That said, I think the days of the indie coffeeshop are numbered and/or over. It's real hard to make money in that business.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ypsilanti has a population of 22,000 (close to Lafayette Park and the near-east side neighborhoods total population) and has three excellent independent coffee houses and no chains. All three are doing very well.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Coffeehouse in downtown Allen Park is an indie thats been going strong for 11 years now. Just the 2 owners work there so the quality is top notch, best coffee drinks around these parts, and they make their chai from scratch.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news...their free wifi still works and with my amplifier I can still pick it up! If that goes out I'll have to go back to the unreliable personal unsecured networks around.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Business did seem pretty steady. Anybody know the story?"

It costs a lot of money to be in business. Anyone with a business plan should cut their projected profit in half.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nooooo...I love that place. Their corned beef sandwiches were delicious. When I came home from school for Christmas break, I went there regularly to use my laptop and get something to eat. I have to find a new place now. This is wack.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.