Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Vernors « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody remember going to the soda fountain at the old Vernors plant on Woodward? I always got Vernors mixed with chocolate, and I know they mixed it with cream, too. I was wondering if anyone recalls of other ways they served Vernors there.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which location and when? Vernors was at Canfield and Woodward circa 1950-1975. But before that it was at what's now Hart Plaza.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do they make it now? Out of state?

Downriviera

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would have been the Canfield/Woodward location. My parents used to take me there sometimes.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah. I have a photo somewhere. Let's see ...

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Vernors, very groovy.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, it's not a photo of the plant, but of the cool company station wagon driving on Cass near Canfield.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernors was open that past the Mid-70's. I can recall my mom taking us by bus to the science museum when it used to be across Woodward from this place.

I don't remember a soda fountain, but we did get vernors in the lobby from a machine and watch the connveyer belts. She was a big fan of Soda fountains and could never pass a Sanders without stopping. She would have not settled for a machine vernors if she could have got a Boston Cooler at the plant!

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor's hasn't been the same since they replaced the stevia with high fructose corn syrup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S tevia

I blame Cargill and the corn lobby for getting Stevia banned.

Downriviera

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pic. Used to get hot Vervors at the old Olympia during Wings games. They had a fountain machine that dispensed it hot. I still drink it hot out of the microwave, best bet for colds and stomach ache.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernors is now produced by Pepsi of Michigan at their Howell bottling plant.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the sneeze you use to get from the bubbles.

(Message edited by gnome on February 14, 2008)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about this for a grudge...

According to a book I have about the history of Vernors, apparently the owner of Vernors (at the time a city council member) was the tie breaking vote that killed the plans for a subway system in Detroit.

He felt that the station, since it would of been in front of his Woodward store, would of lowered his foot traffic and hurt business as well as limited on-street parking.

Funny how things change but stay the same. That said, still love my Vernors.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernors is owned by Cadburry/Schwepps via CS's purchase of A&W Beverages. The reason it tends to be distributed by Pepsi distributors is that C/S also owns 7-UP/Dr. Pepper, which many Pepsi distributors carried to counter Coke's Sprite lemon/lime soda. Our local Pepsi distributor carries it from A&W Brands, bottled in Everett, WA.

Cadburry/Schwepps is sort of the G. Heileman of the soda pop business. Their brands include Canada Dry, Crush, Hires, Squirt and Royal Crown Cola.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my dad lives by that stuff and I could just never get it(i've grown to like it with age). My goal is to get him a sweet vernors fountain

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been getting Vernor's here, in Tucson, for the last 13 years. Up until 2 years ago I would buy a 12 pack for 2 dollars when it went on sale about once every two months at which time I would buy 8 -12 packs.
Now, the good times are over. They are currently "on sale" at Fry's (Kroger's)
3-12 packs for 11 dollars. Yes, they are distributed by Pepsi.

Any old Detroiter will remember Vernor's on Woodward. Going "downtown" on any day, meant going to Vernor's and then to Hudson's.
A bottle of Vernor's in the local candy stores or Ice Cream Parlors usually cost a dime that we seldom, if ever, had. Two nickel cokes were trump cards but certainly not as tantalyzing.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, my father just got back from Tucson(he lived there several years-statistically 10% of Tucson's population are Michigan emigres) & couldn't get over how f'd that overnight freeway construction is-the 10's like a slaughterhouse. On Leap Year you WILL go to the Grand Opening of Bevmo(between the First 100 customers & Daily Star coupon you're good for $35 in free stuff-including Vernor's in 4-packs of glass bottles;

http://www.bevmo.com/HTMLPopUp s/bm-Opening-TucsonAZ.html

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3939
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor's used to have a significantly stronger taste and it was more fizzy. Going national resulted in a more bland product for the mass market, I guess.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be aged 4 years in oak. I've got an old Vernor's bottle that proudly displays that. I imagine the lab came up a suitable artificial flavor additive for that, eh?

Are any local micro-brews making Vernor's-style ginger ale in the Detroit area?

Downriviera

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its true that Vernor's is not as good as it used to be, but I think its still better than any other ginger sodas out there, and I've tried a lot of them. I know it sounds crazy, but try a glass of Vernor's with a couple teaspoons of a good chocolate syrup stirred in, its amazing. They used to serve it that way at the plant.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vernor's sneeze.....what a memory....

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll fess up. I remember the Vernor's shop on Woodward at the River. Great location at the time. Following a "treat" at the shop, you could then hop on the Boblo boat, or better yet, take the steamer,Put In Bay, to Put In Bay! DandC boats were within viewing distance, too.
Busy waterfront to say the least and Vernor's was a great draw for kids and grownups alike.
Seems to me that Jim Vernor lived

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on Chicago (?) and was a pharmacist by trade, living into his 80's.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 375
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I've noticed the "sneeze" is gone too. Too bad. Interesting about the stevia. I don't care for Vernor's anymore. I don't think Stroh's tastes the same as it did 20 years ago either.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all that corn syrup. :P

Irunwscissors
Username: Irunwscissors

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernors and milk, heated....yum.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.