Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Police Department « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering:

When did the DPD start putting two officers in patrol cars?

How many Precinct Houses remain?

Is the Detroit Police Athletic League still in existence?

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe they started putting two officers in cars a few years back after officer scanlon was shot when he was on a run by himself. i'm not sure on this though.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two man cars have been standard since the late 60s or early 70s. The only exceptions nowadays are traffic enforcement and supervisors .They still are manned by one person.
There are only six district stations.
Not sure about he PAL.

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this link to detroit PAL, alive and well?

http://www.thinkdetroitpal.org /index.asp
When I worked for Detroit PD as a radio technician, I was involved in the PAL ski program.
They bused about 100 kids a day to Mt Brighton for ski instructions, 4 days a week, 8 week program. Started out free, then $25. not sure when the program ended. Great program while it lasted. Kids got ski instructions and something to do in the winter.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if two per car is standard practice in all large cities?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slick,

I saw you guys out there back in the day. I used to be part of a ski club through my public school system. That was a great program and it looked like it got a big turnout.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two man cars were standard back in the 30's & 40's...I remember that my dad always rode with a partner. That was before he was the driver for the heavily armed Four Man Cruiser. Not sure when they stopped and went to a one man.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think Detroit PAL
http://www.thinkdetroit.org/in dex.asp

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 372
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information; I'm looking forward to some volunteer coaching with the PAL

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PAL has been a GREAT organization. Before it was organized as such cops simply volunteered to work with kids. I have pics of my dad in uniform with his BSA troop about 1930...and with his Babe Ruth league ball team about the same time. Having been an orphan he was in touch with the needs of kids.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.