Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The answer is... Ford Fiesta? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 796
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Ford finally revealed the plan regarding replacing the discontinued Focus hatchback.

So here's the Fiesta. I don't like the name, and wish they used the "Verve" in which it's based on, but not a biggie.

This is a smart move and I'll admit that they had me scratching my head as to why they got rid of the hatchback in the first place.

Next up - the advertising campaigns of the big three....

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080214/U PDATE/802140510/1361

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good looking car, right market, bad name.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 509
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds too much like the ford festiva, which was a p.o.s. hamper on wheels. my best friend in high school had one, and once my sister, her sister and i almost picked the damn thing up it was so small and light. it was a death trap.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiesta IS too similar to the Festiva name, and sounds cheap, why not just reuse their Falcon nameplate from the 60s?

..but not the Maverick or Pinto, Ford can keep those two "unforgettable" nameplates in their dusty archives forever, IMO.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do the marketing execs at ford have a hard time coming up with new names or what?

first they change the names of the five hundred to the Taurus, and change Freestyle to Taurus X. im no auto industry insider. but i am a consumer and that kind of naming will never stick in my mind and is not all that sexy.

and i know the freestyle aka taurus x is on the same chassis or whatever as five hundred AKA taurus, but would it be too hard to come up with a new name?

and now they are reviving the name fiesta. just seems like a strange strategy for a company that is trying to re-brand itself as cool and competitive.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11625
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original German-made Fiesta was a kick-ass car.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they even do any market research on this name? It seems like most people would associate the "fiesta" name with a crappy 80's hatchback.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, people already often think the Festiva is called the Fiesta, I hear it all the time and it's one of my pet peeves.

But anywho, I really like that car. Really sharp looking.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man that thing looks 10 times better than any of its current competitors: the fit, aveo, yaris or versa.

hell yeah, bring it here!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original Fiesta was built by the European Ford line in the late-70's to early 80's and was sometimes used for rally racing. The Festiva was Korean built, late 80's to early 90's, and sold under the Ford name.
I've spoken with a number of people who had a Maverick. Most thought it was a great car and I still see them on the road periodically.It was basic transportation that sold unbelievably well.I would actually welcome the revival of that name myself.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5165
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go off-roading in my fiesta -- i loved it. it was a great car, comfortable, fun, economical

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not use the "Verve" brand. Much better than the "Fiesta." I would buy a verve...

Rb336

Post Number: 5174
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twice they have screwed up on the name issue this year. first they castrate the Twin Force into the Eco Boost and now this. I probably will buy one, I love tiny cars

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eboyer,

That's a silly thing to say. You would buy a car if it was named Verve but would not buy the SAME car if it it was called a Fiesta?

Eboyer

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it's a Fiesta.

When I think of Fiesta I think of crap. I want something fresh and new. T

here's a reason they do market research. Whoever did it for ford, didn't do his/her job. Probably the same guy that said bringing back the Taurus nameplate was a good idea. I see that one is working out well...

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally! It's about time, and the "new" Focus left me scratching my head. Ford of Europe has a pretty good record over the last decade or so of making good small cars.

I still wonder about dropping the Focus hatch from the US lineup. It's too expensive to import from Europe, and apparently too expensive to convert the Kansas City plant and build it there, but I think it is also built in Argentina, which is not too expensive a labor market.

Hpgrmln, the Festiva was actually a rebadged Mazda 121, and built in Japan.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 570
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eboyer,

But the Fiesta is the same thing as the Verve. It seems very silly not to buy something just because of its name. If you like the product, the name shouldn't matter.

Also, as far as the new Taurus is concerned, the reason it isn't selling is not because of the name, it is because the product itself is not winning many customers with its boring design (although my parents had one when it was the Five Hundred and LOVED it). Ford promises a fully redesigned Taurus Sedan for next year's auto show, the first one fully designed as a Taurus. I would hold off judgement on the Taurus nameplate until we see that.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

an orange '79 Ford Fiesta was my very first car. it was a rust bucket, but i loved it and learned the little i know about cars by trying to keep the flying pumpkin aloft in the streets of the D. it seemed like half the parts were in metric, which made things challenging... i replaced the master cylinder (didn't properly bleed the break lines and had some close calls!), water pump, radiator, spark plugs, etc., and also designed some creative solutions for a door handle assembly that ceased to work and for the floorboards and exhaust system that collectively rusted themselves into oblivion over the three years i had the car. my greatest feat of ingenuity occurred when one of the wheels came off on the freeway. i took one bolt off of each of the remaining wheels, so that each wheel had three bolts--the fiesta had this retarded inverted bolt system for its wheels. lots of was fun for a high school junior!

Eboyer

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you're right, naming doesn't mean anything.

You should name your kids Gertrude, Hannibal, and Voldomort. Let's see how that works...

Rb336

Post Number: 5177
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When I think of Fiesta I think of crap"

why? they were great cars, way better than the competition of the day except the original rabbit, to which it was equal. I drove mine like a maniac and never had a problem with it for well over 100K miles. are you getting it confused with that korean heap, the festiva?

was "the pumpkin" new when you bought it detour?

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was behind an old (obviously) Festiva this morning coming up off the Lodge onto Jefferson.

I remember back in the early 90's my brother had 2 of them. One to drive and the other to cannibalize parts off of. That old Festiva was the object of many a joke, but kept rollin' a hell of a long time.

And for all the current concern over oil dependency and the enviornment, I'm sure it must have gotten 40mpg. Forget the new Fiesta, I may see if I can find an old Festiva!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eboyer,

I'm not saying that name isn't important. However, you basically said that if it were named the Verve you would buy it but even though it is the EXACT same car you won't buy it because it is called the Fiesta. Please explain to me the logic in that decision?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RB366 - no, the flying pumpkin was already over a decade old when I got it...

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 618
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about the Aspire....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F ord_Aspire

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one on this forum that found the freep headline “Ford to do more parts in house” interesting? I’d heard that Ford made a lot of its car parts overseas. Kinda throws a wrench into the “buy American” argument.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080215/BUS INESS01/802150335

Rb336

Post Number: 5180
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering that MOST of the problems, quality-wise, that Ford and GM have had involved supplier-made parts, this is not a surprise

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too many men want to drive a Fiesta lol. When they come out with an SVT type or R model... then dudes will get that model and call it an SVT or and R and not Fiesta

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not? The Fiesta, Aspire and Festiva were great cars. I plan on putting in an order for a 2 door Fiesta with leather and Microsoft Sync.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Aspire get the nick-name "Ass Pirate?"

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was Aspire to be a bigger car

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we always called them Assfires.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other favorite Ford nicknames: Mercury Mistake (mystique), Ford Exploder, and even though the the Focus wasn't such a bad car: Ford #$%&-Us. Childish, yes, but it makes you wonder if they have 10 year olds working in marketing, when all they can do is come up with really lame and/or re-hashed names.

Rb336

Post Number: 5239
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why can't we have this:

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5297
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Other favorite Ford nicknames: Mercury Mistake (mystique), Ford Exploder.

I always liked the Suzuki Sideflip. That one lived up to its nickname.

Brightpavilions
Username: Brightpavilions

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't see a hatchback from US auto makers that can match up with it's foreign competitors. The name IS terrible and it's still just a Focus redux. Look at the back end.

When I was looking last year it came down to a VW or a Mazda. Better power, handling, design and comparable price. I got an imported auto and it's the best car I've ever had. Also my first imported auto. Sucks, but true.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.