Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Should non-resident taxpayers get representation? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Detroit Free Press website, a man named Douglas Johnson, a city council candidate, is filing a petition to recall Mayor Kilpatrick.

A poster on the the Free Press's website asked this gentleman if he would work to get non-resident taxpayers representation on the City Council.

What do y'all think about this??? Keep in mind, one of the main reasons that the Colonies sought independence from Great Britain was because they were being taxed without having any say on how much they were being taxed and how those tax dollars were being used!!

Another poster on that forum made a good point: Why should workers have to pay an extra tax for the privilege of working in the Detroit City Limits.

Also, another poster made a good point: This tax hinders smaller/medium city businesses from moving to the city because they will likely not get those gigantic tax breaks that Compuware got, and that Quicken Loans will surely receive, that would offset the Detroit City income tax.

To the few fiscal conservatives that frequent this site, is there anyway that this non-resident tax can be eliminated without adversely affecting public services.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paying a tax to work in the city of Detroit isn't a problem because you're using some city services. The hotel, liquor and rental car tax from Macomb and Oakland county used to pay for Cobo Hall is a problem because Macomb or Oakland doesn't have a voice on Cobo decisions. I think that was LBP problem with the new Cobo proposal. Also the history of fiscal irresponsibility played a part. The firs plan called for almost a billion dollar project. When LBP said he wouldn't even consider it suddenly the project could be done for under half a billion. I wouldn't mind extending the taxes to pay for a new or renovated Cobo but I want representation.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 2

"Another poster on that forum made a good point: Why should workers have to pay an extra tax for the privilege of working in the Detroit City Limits."

If your building is on fire, who is going to come put out the fire? A city of Detroit employee...correct?

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think people who live outside the city of Detroit should have a representative on the council. However, any member of the council and the Mayor should consider the affects of their decision on the people who work in Detroit, live in and around Detroit, etc. I'd rather see the city tax done away with than to add representation to non-residents. Good leadership and sound practices negate this question from needing to be asked. The real question is will we ever get that kind of leadership.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Detroit the only city with a fire department?

So does that mean that since I'm not paying taxes here in Dearborn (where I work) that I'll have to watch my building burn if it should catch fire? I'd hate for that to happen. I better run over to city hall and pay them some money so that they'll stop a building from burning in their city so that I can continue to work here.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Non-resident do have representation. State government gives Michigan cities this authority to tax. If you don't like that, contact your state representative or senator and have them change state law. Good luck!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I go to California and stay in a hotel I will get taxed. Should tourists have a representative in the California legislature?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admire the petitioner for putting his life on the line.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last thing I would want to do is indulge the morons who dominate the Freep Forums but this idea that being asked to pay a city income tax is "taxation without representation" is garbage. You don't like paying it? Don't work in the city. It's that simple. Having a city income tax may be the stupidest thing in the world. But it's what the elected representatives in Detroit voted to impose. As Iheartthed correctly notes, we all pay taxes of one form or another wherever we go. What makes those who have to pay the city income tax think they are entitled to some kind of special representation?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You don't like paying it? Don't work in the City." Duh. A couple of hundred thousand people figured that out a long time ago.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3879
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the city should make the tax noticably worthwhile to the non-resident employees.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

city of detroit residents have been paying taxes and utility fees to build suburban infrastructure for 80 years. suburbanites paying a couple percentage tax in detroit is chump change.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5199
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because Johnson is running for Detroit city council, it would seem as if he's planning to have a domicile within Detroit. He could have as many other residences as he chooses, wherever. Fieger once had similar intentions.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 843
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a non-resident who pays the city income tax and I think the idea is pretty dumb. I chose to work in Detroit. I should not be able to "vote" in Detroit because I don't live there. However, Detroit and the suburbs should be mindful that the region is very interdependent, despite what they may want to believe.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's the national standard to have representation where you reside; you change that and things get murky from a practical standpoint fast. This is not the only place in the nation like this with some areas with an income tax and others without.

I know people who live in Ohio but work in Michigan - so one could make the case that they should have representation in Michigan.

And yes, non-residents use services. They use the roads, the streetlights, need police, etc. I don't agree with the separate income tax period, but that is a different argument more along the lines of I don't like high taxes, especially ones that make an area I care about much less competitive.

This is more of the income tax being a bad perception thing than anything else. If anything to improve the cities' business-friendly image getting rid of that income tax would be good. There was a deal to do it, too - and the state went back on it. Blech. More levels of government not being able to play nice together around here.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city income tax is one of the biggest hurdles to getting business and people to work and reside in the city. When are they gonna get it?

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You don't like paying it? Don't work in the city. It's that simple."

Hahahaha. Looks like Southfield's going to remain the real downtown of Metro Detroit for a little longer.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtown

That's a great shot of Detroit's suburban Southfield's skyline in the background.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I've pointed that out in another thread. You gotta love the irony.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, non-residents who work in the city shouldn't have a say in Detroit's city council. That's silly.

However, Umcs is right. The city and the suburbs are economically interlinked and rather dependent on each other. Metro Detroit would be better off if the city and its suburbs realized this.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.