Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ads for warm weather locations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In past years some of the warm weather ads for places like Florida really captured attention because they reflected and played upon the January/February doldrums so effectively. This year's batch of Arizona ads are the least effective ones I've ever seen. They generate no interest or sense of relief whatsoever.

And to whoever made these ads - we don't honk our horns like that.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2726
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Arizona. Now go home.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw an ad for Arizona the other day. It was called Detroit To Arizona. I was despised.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2732
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my annual drive to Detroit from Las Vegas, I drive through Arizona without stopping until I hit Gallup, NM. Then I start to feel better.

Apologies to JiminAZ.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Jim was in NM?

Yeah, and I was going to say, those ads are used to lure people like Ray into their crappy climate :-)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a JimnAZ and a JimnNM.

Detroitrise, I spent the whole day outside in shirt sleeves today. Right now at 6:30 the window at my desk is wide open. I thought I saw a cloud, but on closer inspection, it was an aircraft contrail.

Where's this crappy climate?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a joke Ray, i just can't stand dry desert heat all day and night. Of course, that's just me.

Lighten up! :-)

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 16, 2008)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woops, I ddn't mean to come across as if on the muscle. Just happened to enjoy a beautiful day today so much that what popped into my head is what came out.

I'm light! I'm light!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4561
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're referring to me, there's no need to apologize, Ray.

I prefer Michigan over Arizona so I understand the idea of different strokes for different folks.

My snowblower technique is improving. Better to make each pass a working pass than to drag the idling hulk backward between each working pass. (Smacks forehead. Doh!)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^applies to lawnmowers, too

Ray1936

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan was the Michigan I know in June, July, August, and September all year around, I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, it is not.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, one of the best days of my life was when I saw Gallup in my rear-view mirror for the last time.
If you'd ever lived there, you'd understand ...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2697
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The California ad that plays here in New York has me considering packing my bags and heading west...

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Summers in Too-Stoned, Arizona were not my cup of tea. You're talking about basically five or six months of temps above 100 degrees every single day. It doesn't rain except in August when the monsoons come and when they blow over it gets unbearably humid. Meanwhile, there's not a swimming hole anywhere that you'd want to jump in during these months.

While we're all suffering from seasonal affective disorder, I swear the desert southwest has its own seasonal affliction. I swear, the heat really made people crazy.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Lakes WATER

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.