Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anybody want to put me up for 2 nights? » Archive through February 03, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming to Detroit February 21-23, staying overnight Thursday night and Friday night. If you lend me a couch, we'll use the money saved to eat out Thursday night and Friday night. I'm coming to look at homes in B-E and check out some sights. Sounds kinda crazy but I always wanted to do something like this. Why be in a motel room flipping channels?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 977
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hummm...Do you snore? Back in my hippie days the door was always open, but now I‘m a little scared of ax killers, and have the fam. Perhaps there is some other generous (and risk taking) member?

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I heard something on the news about a website that does stuff like this. A bunch of people sign up and let other people sleep on their couches...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig's List?

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3203
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig's list:

Squatter looking for place to crash while shopping for BE mansion. Will supply food for self and host in xchange for dry digs.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something like "couchsurfing.com"

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11465
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster,

It would be easier to be open to your offer if you had even slightly more than 5 posts on the forum!

That said, you either have guts and/or an ulterior motive. E-mail jjgannon (at) ix.netcom.com and we'll try to get you situated.

Cheers!

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3204
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course there's always the AAA building ...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 556
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YMCA

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, hells no! This ain't the 50's RM - and it's Detroit. Wait a minute, forget the "it's Detroit" part - are you nuts?

Good luck with all this creepy staying with strangers stuff and whatnot.

You do realize that you don't know anything about anyone on the internet, don't you?

Gannon has the best idea, but even asking you to email him seems, shall I say, chancey. I'll stay kind of hidden in the woods, thank you.

Meanwhile, if this Roadmaster person turns out to be just a regular person I'll be relieved.

(Message edited by kathinozarks on February 03, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 11467
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathi,

I still have a little faith in mankind...although womankind is kinder, usually...and have crashed in more than a few of MY clients guest bedrooms after they got a few good reviews about me on a home theater forum.

An all-call IS strange, but like I said...if he's real, then he's got a similar view on civilization as me. There 'might' be hope yet.

Cheers!

I've been called creepy enough to know that most people simply fear too much to let anyone unique and different disturb their safe environs...unless it is through their telly.

I think that telly is more of a threat...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't calling you creepy, did you think I was? I hope not!

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy will let you crash in his basement for free:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RQb2m6VJ-eo

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4707
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couchsurfing.com is a great site!

C'mon somebody, put this guy up! He's coming to buy a house!
(Roadmaster, I'm out of the state indefinitely otherwise my couch would be yours).

Gannon

Post Number: 11470
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, Kathi, I was referring to a lifetime of unwarranted critique.

Not like I'm not capable of being creepy, just that most times I'm called that it is simply because of my verbal communication style through my Asperger's Syndrome. Plus, the clumsy way I naturally investigate an issue, never afraid to look where life gets weird as well as where it is beautiful...and I think since I refrain from judgement people assume I approve of the behavior or experience!

So no, didn't think you called me creepy, but wouldn't mind if you did! Always good to learn of another's threshold measure of creepiness.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 11471
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indefinitely, Barnes?

It WILL get warm again here, promise!

HOT, even.

(of course, somebody's gonna hear that as creepy)

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to check here:

www.globalfreeloaders.com

A site for finding free accommodations all over the world.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 918
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

paper

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4395
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, Ed.

I wonder if our new forumer drives a Buick Roadmaster...

He/she has been well-received, but has not responded.

Onlypeoplewhohatethemselveshateme
Username: Onlypeoplewhohatethemselveshateme

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty funny actually

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHHAHAHAHHH! I wanna know what the eyewitnesses saw! MORE!

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....where, on a pedestal? Like, I am going to take somebody into my house that I don't know. You could be Marvin The Masher....the ultimate UN Sub.

Hey, Ed Golick-

Pretty good!!

We have a lot of soul here in Detroit (LOL). We're all scared to death. I used to know this guy that worked at The Cafe Detroit on Cass & Palmer. He would have to walk down Cass to go home from work at night. Every time someone would approach him from the other way he would start babbeling, go cross-eyed, and bend his knees and walk like he was crippled. He said that they wouldn't bother him if they thought that he was crazy (LOL)

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on February 03, 2008)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed...that is definitely a classic!

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 907
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, your point-of-view is refreshing.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4710
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Good luck with all this creepy staying with strangers stuff"

While I recognize that a woman may want to be more cautious about having strangers over...
I can only imagine how pathetic it must be to live in constant fear and mistrust of your fellow human beings...

When I was younger I hitchhiked across Europe a few times, and total strangers often invited me to stay in their homes, cooked me dinner, offered me humble couches in cramped apts.
I've also crashed on strangers couches in Mexico and Cuba. The couches were sometimes well worn, but what made the whole thing worth it was the great conversations and sincere hospitality of the people that I met.
To this day I loathe staying in sterile corporate chain hotels when I travel...seldom will you find good conversation at the lounge of the Marriott.
I've always tried to pay back those experiences by having a nice large couch, a couch that I've lent out to strange travelers.

Hopefully, Gannon will come though on this...

(and Gannon, I may be back briefly for a building project this summer, but right now, my absence from my hometown is indefinite.)

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread says it all. It is one of the most interesting I have read in a while so far.There are easily 23 novels and 12 screenplays within besides answering again the ultimate question whether man is good or evil....and Go Giants.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can only imagine how pathetic it must be to live in constant fear and mistrust of your fellow human beings..."

Oh no, Barnesfoto, I'm not pathetic living in constant fear.
I am very happy being cautious of strangers. In my past I have been very open and trusting of people and it has only helped me have many wonderful life experiences. It just pays to be cautious with the new internet way of interacting with strangers. Why wouldn't you take a moment to consider the ramifications of your decisions? That's all I'm sayin'.

be aware of all the potential outcomes of decisions.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello every one in Detroit. I'm the wife of Roadmaster 49....My husband Roadmaster 49..... what a character..... We both got a great laugh out of the "news" clipping..... I loved it. What can I say?, we are from Iowa and trusting people. We want to believe in the best in people. Yes, this sounds like something my husband would dream up...... however, I think I will give him some money for a hotel/motel. :-) We want him back safely........ He has always been fascinated with cars, the history of and the people. He has talked about going to Detroit for a very long time. Strange right? I would rather go to Hawaii myself...... not my husband.... he wants to go to Detroit and now, wants to buy a house in Detroit...... all your responses have been very interesting. I think I will see if there is a nice B&B he can stay at.

well time for supper and super bowl! Christine

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3423
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think I will see if there is a nice B&B he can stay at.

Christine here are a couple:

http://innonferrystreet.com/05 /

http://www.theinnat97winder.co m/

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, wife of Roadmaster, it would be nice if every town was Mayberry, but they're not. Shame.

The Inn On Ferry seems like just the place for him to stay. Checkit out.