Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Better Made Chips in California! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 130
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in an IGA supermarket in my neighborhood today in San Diego. This store specializes in Mexican food products. As I was passing the snack food section, I saw a familiar yellow package. I had to do a double take! It was a whole rack of Better Made Chips, many different varieties and sizes! I was ecstatic, shocked, and amazed. I bought a large quantity.

I have lived in San Diego for over thirty years and had never seen Better Made on sale here before. I always had to wait for my semi-annual trip back to Michigan. Once, I even ordered them online.

The woman at the check out counter did not know anything about them. The manager was not around. Is Better Made going national? Or, did some distributor just happen to have a batch that was sold to this store? Does anyone know the answer to this mystery?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 826
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen Faygo in Georgia

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my pet theory: Enough people have finally left Detroit that it's being asked for everywhere. The diaspora is complete. :-)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey we got a mayor we're trying to get rid of too.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, we just need Saunder's fudge in New Mexico...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sell Faygo at the K Mart in Midtown Manhattan.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go Evelyn:
http://www.sanderscandy.com/

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Often times items like chips are sold in geographic markets or distribution channels where they are not known as essentially a generic or private label chip even though it they use the packaging of the brand. Places like Big Lots and Dollar Tree have all different kinds of chips, but none with any consistency. In Detroit, National Wholesale Liquidators has UTZ Chips at low prices. Utz is a chip with many devotees and a website from PA. I even ordered Crab Chips from them for my daughter's school when she was "star of the week" because she loves them. Crab chips have no crab, but have Old Bay-type seasoning on them, kind of like a BBQ with no tomato or sweetness. So, buy them up now as they may not restock.

Sfds
Username: Sfds

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman, I'll keep my eyes peeled out here for Better Made. BevMo a great beverage store out here in SoCal carries 16 oz glass bottled Faygo in Orange, Red Pop, Rock and Rye, Red Raspberry, and sometimes Root Beer. They also carry glass bottles of Vernor's diet and regular. They carry a wide variety of "hometown pops".

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 946
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better Made Chips here in San Diego! Nice revelation Jokerman. Have never graced the threshold of an IGA outside of Michigan. That will be corrected very soon in search of the rare Better Made Chips. Ralphs, Henri's, Vons and a new Trader Joe's receive 95+% of our grocery budget.

Sometimes, just sometimes, a helpful and not-dis-interested store employee will be willing to check the computerized inventory by telephone before you make a trip to a particular store.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 581
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shocked to see Vernors in glass bottles in a specialty mart in Los Angeles --- and then a week later I saw canned Vernors in an IGA.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACO hardware stores carry Sanders Fudge.

It's really good if you heat it up.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I was about to say that you can find Sanders Fudge everywhere

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 523
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once found Stroh's beer on sale by the case in Hong Kong.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They sell Faygo at the K Mart in Midtown Manhattan."

At which location, Herald Square? I've only been to the Astor Place K-Mart and haven't seen any. A trip uptown would definitely be worth it. . .

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone spots Better Made chips in the New York area, please let me know. Thanks

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Vernors and Faygo are sold at my local Ralph's in SoCal.

The funny thing is that they are in glass bottles and priced similar to Dr. Brown's -- i.e. as a regional premium beverage.

Jokerman

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni:The store is near the corner of Cardiff and Jamacha Rd. in southeast corner of San Diego (near Spring Valley). Hurry, before I buy them out!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

At which location, Herald Square? I've only been to the Astor Place K-Mart and haven't seen any. A trip uptown would definitely be worth it. . .

Yeah, that is the Midtown K Mart. At Penn Station...

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish it worked both ways... I'd like to be able to get (good) green chili in Michigan.

Has anyone seen BetterMade in northern California?

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that in this months Maximm magazine Penn Gellette (sp) is reviewing the best 10 chips in the USA. Better Made......#1. Nothing beats the BBQ...no other BBQ chip even comes close. I am glad to see them branching out a bit with new flavors...and...Cotton Candy??...andy

Jokerman

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The manager of the IGA in San Diego told me that they will continue to order Better Made products. I told him to expect a lot of Detroiters in his store.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 949
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome Jokerman! I will add that particular IGA to our list of shopping destinations.

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy Vernors Ginger Ale all the time here at my local Orange County, CA grocery store... So glad I can get it out here!

Otter
Username: Otter

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider,

Where in Georgia did you see Faygo? I grew up in Atlanta and had never heard of it until I moved to Detroit.

Jokerman

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just ate a bag of BBQ. Penn Gillette is right. I forgot how good they are.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 621
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE: "I have seen Faygo in Georgia"

I've seen the entire state of Michigan living in Atlanta. No surprise there. ;) j/k--just 1/2 kidding...

Jokerman

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The IGA in San Diego (Lisbon and Cardiff, near Spring Valley) still has a large rack of Better Made chips, all varieties. This is the only place I have ever seen them in California.

When I first found them I bought about ten bags in case it was a one shot deal. Yesterday, I just bought one bag of Hot BBQ (delicious!) and one regular since it looks like they will continue to carry them.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen faygo down here in VA (hampton roads)...it's always funny arguing with my friends from the northeast and south as they call everything "soda" as opposed to "pop"

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a bag of Uncle Ray's salt & vinegar chips in southern Georgia or northern Florida a couple weeks back

Vantanna
Username: Vantanna

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will look for Faygo & Better Made Sweet BBQ in Atlanta...

Sittodistributors_sd
Username: Sittodistributors_sd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is in response to Jokerman. There is an independent distributor of better made potato chips in california. I know because I work there. We deliver to all and any city in san diego county. And our main product that we offer is better made (the owner is from Michigan). We are currently working on our website which is sittodistributorinc.com.

Sittodistributors_sd
Username: Sittodistributors_sd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is in response to Jokerman again. If you want I can give you a list of stores to which we sell our products to in any areas that you visit or are located. This way you don't have to go out of your way to the one store which you found our product at.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About five years ago I was backpacking on Chichikoff Island in Alaska. It's about 7 million acres 6 hours by boat from Juneau. There are maybe 400 people on the island, most in the town of Pelican. Pelican has 200 people tops and it's located on Lisianski Inlet, off the Pacific. It's "downtown" is about 2 short blocks long and built on stilts, so the tide comes in right up to the boardwalk/sidewalk. It's a fishing village, with a small fish processing plant.

There is one bar in town, on the boardwalk. There was a "Stroh's" sign over the entrance.

We walked in, sat at the bar, and of course ordered a hamburger and a Stroh's. The bartender said "What's a Stroh's." I thought he was joking but said "beer. There's a Stroh's sign over the door." He said "Hell, I've never heard of the stuff. I've been here (many) years, and figured that must have been the name of the original owner."

So, we ordered local beer and paid for our $9.50 hamburgers and went back to the wilderness.

(They didn't have Better Made chips either.)

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found glass bottled (priced as a premium beverage for money'd yuppies) Faygo & Vernors in a Chinese grocery store a couple blocks away from where I live in San Francisco. And the Cala (store chain affiliated somewhat with Krogers) grocery store one block away from where I live sells Vernors in *cans*.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just noticed SittoDistributors (welcome to the forum, b.t.w.). Does the "SD" in your name imply San Diego? Do you distribute Better Made up in Northern California? :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.