Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Newark goes 33 days without a murder « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Newark marked its 33rd day Friday without an official homicide, a startling fact for a city that has averaged about two killings a week over the last few years and saw homicides spike 50 percent from 2002 to 2006.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/ 02/15/no.homicides.ap/index.ht ml

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4445
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should serve as inspiration for Detroit.

I'm going to Newark a week from today.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Newark :-)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news we could all use!

<313>

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is Detroit's Record?

anyone Know?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like it's "Broken Windows" in practice:

From the article:
"McCarthy attributes the drop in homicides to a broader strategy to fighting crime that includes prosecuting petty crimes, like loitering and public drunkenness, as well as more serious ones."

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, but I'm sad that this is newsworthy...

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I took the train to New York City from Trenton and I remember a large sign that you could see from the train at Newark station. It read as follows:

HELP WANTED: to stop the killing of Newark's school children

That billboard was not good for tourism, but it did drive home the point.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^If you click the link, you'll see the billboard in the article.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I got the details wrong -- and I guess I was not the only person to see that sign!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7133
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! Newark is murder free. For a while

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5156
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs this kind of broken windows policing. But instead of demanding that, we demand that people:

(Message edited by johnlodge on February 18, 2008)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6132
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newark has been attracting a whole new generation of Hispanics. They are really trying to revitilize. Maybe something really is happening to change things there. It is hardly a large city, compared to Detroit.

jjaba.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I think that "stop snitching" thinking is part of the criminal culture more so than the average person's thinking. Sure, there are those that won't report a crime, but it's generally not because they don't want the criminal to get in trouble but because of fear of their own safety. I think a few knuckleheads started this "stop snitching" nonsense and it was blown way out of proportion. Or maybe I'm just old and out of touch?

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at UPenn's school of medicine and a med student came in wearing a stop snitching shirt. My blood boiled. I wonder if he'll still be wearing that shirt after his ER rotation dealing with babies who are the victims of drive-bys. Someone smart enough to get into an ivy league med school showing his ignorance.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There was a fatal shooting of a 30-year-old man by an off-duty Newark police officer on February 3. But Newark police spokesman Lt. Todd McClendon said that doesn't count as a homicide under the FBI's reporting guidelines"

What are the FBI's guidelines regarding murder?

Cdwaters
Username: Cdwaters

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.s sf/2008/02/initial_review_find s_fatal_sho.html

Here's the story on that Feb 3rd shooting, I don't know what the guidelines are, but this definitely doesn't sound like murder to me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.