Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 2010 census predictions « Previous Next »
Archive through February 20, 2008Fury1330 02-20-08  11:43 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2010- 910,000
2020- 890,000
2030- 880,000
2040- 900,000
2050- 950,000
2060- 980,000
2070- 1,000,000

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2010- 927,000
2020- 1,143,000
2030- 1,675,000
2040- 2,003,000
2050- 2,280,000
2060- 2,450,000
2070- 2,688,000

The most optimistic estimations ever.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember this fine song?

"Ghost Town" by the Specials.

This town, is coming like a ghost town
All the clubs have been closed down
This place, is coming like a ghost town
Bands won't play no more
too much fighting on the dance floor

Do you remember the good old days
Before the ghost town?
We danced and sang,
And the music played inna de boomtown

Why must the youth fight against themselves?
Government leaving the youth on the shelf
This place, is coming like a ghost town
No job to be found in this country
Can't go on no more
The people getting angry

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 637
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without a good mass transit system it will be 723,613 in 2010.

With a good mass transit system it will be 1,225,777 in 2010.

These are estimates based on the need for good city services that people want and are willing to pay for.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state will decrease in population by the 2010 Census if current trends continue. The Midwest and Northeast will also lose population (and representation in Congress) while the South and West continues to gain population. The job losses, foreclosure crisis, rapidly aging population, and lack of diversified economy in Metro Detroit are among the main reasons the region will continue to decline. In addition, the state is becoming a brain drain we educate some of the best in the country to relocate out-of-state to places with more opportunities and less polarization.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charter schools maybe capped, but some have expanded to accommodate more students. Chandler Park Academy did.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5329
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state legislature capped the number of charter schools long ago. It would require changes to the law to do so.

And wouldn't you know it? The state and the Canadian are quite happy not increasing the number of charter schools so that she (the Canadian) doesn't upset the teachers' unions--her #2 election campaign donors.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 836
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how well the population counts are handled in Detroit. I know it happens, but I find the population decline shown by the census to be a little over the top. Again I am not saying it did not happen. But I do wonder if Detroit has lost so many people within just the last 10 years. I just find it hard to believe the city is under 900,000 people.
Even under a million. It seems like Detroit lost 100,000 in a pretty short time, that something just screams a better count is needed.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5892
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, the 2006 Census challenge placed the city at 918,849, which was an undercount of by the Census for that year of nearly 50,000 people. It's still over 900,000.

I'm really not sure what to expect the number to be. If the city doesn't continue to challenge the Census' number each estimate year (like many cities do), it is sure to be much lower by 2010. SEMCOG refuses to calculate in the challenge, and their number for this month shows a ridiculously unrealistic and low number of 830,000.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 837
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the SEMCOG number that I must have been thinking about then. I just can't believe it is down to to 830,000.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6551
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan... where have you been lately! Haven't seen you post in a long while...

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dealing with this issue Birth and death rates are primary.

Birth rates have only slowed for whites a small percentage of detroits population.

Birthrates for black are still relativley high, we are replacing our selves 1.5 for every 1 alive, or so.

Hispanics are replacing themselves nearly 2.0 for every 1. But still being a miniscule number of the population, it still will be some 15 years for their to be a substantial percentage of Hispanics to truly affect the overall population,

Given the migration patterns being stagnant due to the housing slow down, 900,000+ is more reasonable.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 770
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, to all those saying Detroit rants and raves about it's counts from the census... Hey, every OTHER big city does it! This was the first time in Detroit's history (as far as I know) that they DID challenge the census numbers... As they should... everyone else does. If Chicago, New York, LA, etc... can eke out a few extra thousand people, so can my fair city.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2010: 850,000
2020: 800,000
2030: 800,000
2040: 825,000

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5893
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, good point. It was about to bring it up in fact. The continued out-migration is going to continue to plague the city for the forseeable future, but the birthrate remains relatively steady unlike in other cities where the out-migration and the low-birth rate is dragging down the population (i.e. Pittsburgh).

BTW, looking at the loss from DPS to track population is a bit misleading. If I remember a report correctly a report a few years ago showed that while DPS continues to bleed students like crazy that the actual school-aged population of Detroit actually went up slightly over a pretty long time period meaning A LOT of kids being taken out of DPS are 1. are going to charter and private schools within the city of Detroit 2. going to suburban schools but remaining in Detroit (i.e. using fake addresses).

Detroit is losing population, but the Census has been greatly exaggerating the cities lost for many years now, and they do it with ALL established, older cities.

Just as examples for 2006, Milwaukee forced them to count 30,000 folks who were missed, Baltimore found another 10,000, another 6,600 were found in St. Louis, Norfolk was given another 9,700. Detroit was the biggest undercount of 2006 according to the list of the cities that challenged, which is saying something considering the biggest city in the country (NYC) got less out of their challenge. Detroit was given back 47,700 folks, and NYC was given back 36,000.

Back in 2005, DC was given back 31,500, Atlanta was given 12,400, St. Louis 8,200, Cincy 22,500, etc...

I think people forget that these aren't just superficial beauty contest. For certain annual government programs, city estimates are used to allocate dollars to those programs. When cities "find" missing residents, they subsequently get back those tax dollars.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 25, 2008)

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cap on charter schools will change when DPS ceases to be a Class A school district (that means it falls below 100,000 students). DPS population is currently 105,000. And I'm can't exactly quote how many they have been losing each year, but DPS will fall below 100,000 sometime in the next couple years.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most inner ring districts and inner ring charter schools have school of choice programs that allow a certain number of children to cross city and county lines and attend their schools. My children fall into this category.

And yes, Detroit's school age population has remained steady at approx. 160,000 the last two decades. 105,000 attending DPS is due to school of choice in inner ring districts and charters, charter schools in the city and a very small amount of suburban address users. Catholic schools in the city and out have had huge reductions in numbers also due to the previously mentioned reasons along with a sour economy.

Bob

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most inner ring suburbs are not cross-county schools of choice. You are either school of choice within your county, or school of choice cross county. The only public school I know of that is cross county is Oak Park. Charter Schools (or Public School Academies as they are known by the legislation), are by school of choice because they have no district boundaries. Now with that said, if people want to attend cross county schools they either move (which is happening quite often) or claim a false address (which happens a lot in district like Fitzgerald and Van Dyke on the border). But most districts are requiring people to show proof of residency (bills with names and the address on it, and drivers licenses with the correct address on it).

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's population in 2010 will depend on whether there is a republican or democrat running the white house.

My guess for Detroit's population:

Republican control - 880,00
Democrat control - 915,00

Iheartthed's post was excellent. "I think the lack of housing demand is making it hard for current homeowners to move both out of and into the city.

Anybody moving now is most likely leaving the state altogether. So this housing crisis might possibly be a blessing in disguise by finally stabilizing the city's population."

That is EXACTLY the case for two friends in midtown who have wanted out of Detroit for two years but can't find buyers for their condos. Neither can get even close what they paid for their condos so they're still in Detroit only because they have to be. One is looking to move back to the suburbs (tired of the crime/poor city services) and the other is looking to move to Dallas or Portland. Both work downtown.

Jaydetroit
Username: Jaydetroit

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Jhart to the point that if the white house is under democratic control then the population in Detroit will be greater...and even for the overall state of Michigan for that matter. I don't know if we can get into specifics with the population, there is just no way of knowing, especially when we aren't sure what the current population is.

Bob

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bush has been no friend to any programs that are domestic. We have been paying billions to help a country that does not really care, while we are cutting programs to help our people in this country. For a fraction of the money we are spending on Iraq think of all the infastructure improvements we could be making in this country. Think of the uninsured people we could be helping. Any of the democratic candidates will make this country a higher priority than the current administration, it would not take much.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5606
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS lost 34% of its enrollment in the past six years. On a compounded basis, that's almost exactly 5% per year over that time. So, DPS is really close to going under the 100 grand mark. It could happen next school year--definitely within two years.

There's no positive net migration to Detroit, and sagging DPS enrollment says that the 20 to 50 year-old crowd (gainfully employed, with kids) in Detroit is and has been decreasing. After more jobs disappear until at least 2015, expect fewer residents in this demographic.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 602
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need to knock down a straw man in this thread.

Lest I be wrong, the Census Bureau doesn't adjust CENSUS counts.

They do (and did DET's) revise population ESTIMATES but a census is a hard count.

The Bureau of the Census makes a tremendous effort to count everyone they can for the Decennial Census.

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor has it that our last count a few weeks ago put us at 96,000; that Connie wasn't inflating the numbers at all (unlike Bill Coleman). Connie isn't saying much right now about our numbers. It is what it is.

Bob

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure they will count and recount to double check to make sure.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Metropolitan population levels?
Has METRO Detroit population as a whole declined over the past couple years?

Is it true that Metro Detroit has hardly had any pop growth since the 60's or 70's. Only going up a couple hundred thousand, and then going down, and then back up, etc?

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 663
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say it'll be less then some people are guessing with the current trend the way people are moving outta state because of the way the job market & economy is here in Michigan.

One major reason people are leaving is because of one of the main job staples of michigan manufacturing jobs have left the state/country.

Say what you might I think the city might become like Gary, Indiana and some other Rust Belt cities. I know we've seen new projects come to Detroit but no one knows how successfull they will be.

Like the old saying you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one get's filled first. It's like some people are very optomistic for the state and some aren't....and I think the some aren't is much higher considering the states current situation.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, if you include those who are housed at Ryan Correctional...

I'd say 5,390

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What about Metropolitan population levels?
Has METRO Detroit population as a whole declined over the past couple years?

Is it true that Metro Detroit has hardly had any pop growth since the 60's or 70's. Only going up a couple hundred thousand, and then going down, and then back up, etc?

Yes, that's true. Metro Detroit's population as a whole has been virtually stagnant since the 1970s. The recent census numbers showed Wayne, Oakland, and Livingston counties losing population this past year. The state of Michigan was one of only two states in the entire country to decline in population last year.

(Interesting note: Metro Detroit was the 5th largest U.S. metro in 1980 [http://www2.census.gov/prod2/s tatcomp/documents/1981-02.pdf - page 18]. Now it is the 11th largest and falling. It's also the only metro area that was in the top 5 in 1980 that isn't still in the top 5.)

It's not just the city of Detroit. The city of Detroit has actually slowed it's population losses compared with that of the past 50 years. The 1990s showed the lowest population loss of any decade since the 1950s. I haven't looked at the declines for the 2000s in detail. I do know that the 2006 estimate was still above 900,000, so I think it's safe to say that this decade's loss will be in line with the 1990s.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7225
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2010- 910,000
2020- 890,000
2030- 880,000
2040- 900,000
2050- 950,000
2060- 980,000
2070- 1,000,000

That's when its more jobs, better housing, crime is down, schools are getting better. More black folks are moving to the suburbs. More Mexicans, Arabs, East Indians, Asians and few Hip cool skinny jean white kids are moving into to Detroit.

2010- 927,000
2020- 1,143,000
2030- 1,675,000
2040- 2,003,000
2050- 2,280,000
2060- 2,450,000
2070- 2,688,000

That's when more middle class white folks, other ethnic middle class folks, poor being cleared out of their neighborhoods, more record job growth, crime is down in record numbers, more charter schools popping up in neighborhoods, better housing and retail businesses high rent and higher property values come in to Detroit.

Unfortunately its not going to happen later in the future. This would be Detroit's population for the 21st Century.

2010- 883,532
2020- 826,987
2030- 779,876
2030- 702,966
2040- 879,098
2050- 987,903
2060- 1,234,098
2070- 1,567,462

maybe!

Username: 7051

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Detroit 3-5 County area (MSA is slightly bigger) 1970-2009

4.3 million to 4.6 million range(MSA is slightly bigger. MSA's didn't exist in 1970)

Stagnant population over 35 years=we stand still, everyone else moves forward=dying area for 3.5 decades. This sums up all of this website's debate and content during its 10 year existence. It is a great site and I wish things were more positive for Michigan and Detroit, but that is not the case. Don't worry, I'm mostly stuck here too and trying to make any improvements I can in the city.

Signed,
Eternal Optimist/Eternal Pessimist

Miketoronto

Post Number: 841
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think everything is so down and out in Michigan.
Yes there are problems with the economy, etc.

However even when I look at all my family memebers in Metro Detroit and see what they have been able to attain over the past 40 decades they have lived in Metro Detroit; you see there are still good qualities left.
Could things be better? Yes. But there are still millions of people in Michigan who are living very good lives, in a very nice state.

Something does need to be done. But at the end of the day, it is not all doom and gloom either.

Just get some new ideas and people into the government :-)

(Message edited by miketoronto on March 25, 2008)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5613
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When does the DPS tally become official. So much of the annual tally is determined by a count in the second semester, right? So, that tally is probably known and finalized by now?

If it is 96,000, it's a little bit more of a drop than the 5% from the previous year--unless some of those prior counts were a bit bogus. Then, we won't have to wait until next year for it to get under 100 grand. We're there already.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5895
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the metro has been predicted to has lost population in the past few years, it has still posted a slight gain over 2000. At the worst, the 2010 census will show the metro to have stagnated in growth.

The same goes for the state, which has posted slight losses the past two or so years, but still a measurable gain in population from 2000, which is likely to hold. It certainly won't be any worse than the completely stagnation the state had between 1980 and 1990, and it's still posting a slightly higher growth from 2000 than Ohio.

It must also be noted that while metro Detroit has been has been predicted to have loss population slighty over the past few years, metro Pittsburgh and Cleveland has been losing population for nearly two decades, now.

Detroit and Michigan may be near the bottom of the heap when it comes to population and economic growth, but they are not alone and are not at the very bottom of the pack. Let's put things into perspective.

Many Michiganians seem to have made a religion out of reveling in misery, but it's not about a false choice between being an eternal pessimist and an eternal optimist. Too many people incorrectly frame how we have to look at this state. It's a choice between choosing either to revel in the good or revel in the bad, or rooting yourself in a more realistic and measured view of the way things are going.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 26, 2008)

Kgrimmwsu
Username: Kgrimmwsu

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Population Growth Estimates 2000-2007
2000 58,301
2001 51,546
2002 36,774
2003 31,480
2004 27,503
2005 5,220
2006 -5,618
2007 -30,500
http://michigan.gov/hal/0,1607 ,7-160-17451_18668_41233-18257 3--,00.html

(Message edited by KGrimmwsu on March 26, 2008)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

While the metro has been predicted to has lost population in the past few years, it has still posted a slight gain over 2000. At the worst, the 2010 census will show the metro to have stagnated in growth.

The same goes for the state, which has posted slight losses the past two or so years, but still a measurable gain in population from 2000, which is likely to hold. It certainly won't be any worse than the completely stagnation the state had between 1980 and 1990, and it's still posting a slightly higher growth from 2000 than Ohio.

It must also be noted that while metro Detroit has been has been predicted to have loss population slighty over the past few years, metro Pittsburgh and Cleveland has been losing population for nearly two decades, now.

With all due respect, comparing Detroit's population loss to Cleveland's or Pittsburgh's is ignoring the problem. Detroit was a different caliber city and metropolis than Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Cleveland never passed the 1 million resident threshold and Pittsburgh never even came close to it.

On the other hand, Detroit has lost more residents than either of those cities has ever had.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5896
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not about raw numbers, but the percentage of the population lost. Both Pittsburgh and Cleveland (which nearly had 1,000,000 persons inside its rather small boundaries) have lost a larger percentage of their peak population. These are both still major metropolitan areas (i.e. metros over a million). My point was that Detroit is hardly alone or unique in its mass exodus.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7235
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Census data, Detroit lost 27,300 people from 2006 to 2007. While Atlanta gained 153,000, Phoenix gained 136,000 and Dallas gained 153,000. This is due to more jobs, better housing and warmer climate.

This is truly a sad year for Detroit are more sad years are about to come.

Canada, you can have Michigan. It's all yours!

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"According to Census data, Detroit lost 27,300 people from 2006 to 2007. While Atlanta gained 153,000, Phoenix gained 136,000 and Dallas gained 153,000."

Just to clarify, those numbers above are metro numbers.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should we run with our real names or by our handles?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's not about raw numbers, but the percentage of the population lost. Both Pittsburgh and Cleveland (which nearly had 1,000,000 persons inside its rather small boundaries) have lost a larger percentage of their peak population. These are both still major metropolitan areas (i.e. metros over a million). My point was that Detroit is hardly alone or unique in its mass exodus.

I will give you the percentages vs. raw numbers argument. I will concede the point that all three probably have shared issues which none has previously been incredibly successful at correcting (i.e. the economy).

That said, (Metro-)Detroit having once been in the category of "super"-city (and metropolis) like Chicago, LA, Philly and NYC... It was in a much better position to rescue itself than a Pittsburgh or a Cleveland. Instead of focusing on things that would make Detroit a more attractive place, Detroit as a region has done exactly the opposite; it has continually divested from the central city, it has virtually dismantled any semblance of mass transit, and it has put increasing focus on a single industry economy.

So when I look at Cleveland and Pittsburgh I can be a little more optimistic about their situation than I can to Detroit. At least the people in those two cities seem to get it. Cleveland and Pittsburgh are probably always gonna be mid-sized cities; they can both afford to be that since they are located in states where they aren't the sole major city.

Detroit on the other hand is Michigan's only major city. Michigan doesn't remain a large state without a functional Metro-Detroit. So Detroit only has one of two options, it will go back to being a super city or it will become a ghost town.

When I look at Detroit, I still don't quite see a region that truly understands that it is in a league of it's own as far as being troubled is concerned. People there still hold this belief that the auto industry is gonna return to it's former glory one day. People there still don't understand how something like a mass transit system is essential to the functioning of a city as large as Detroit. People there don't seem to get how damaging a story this Kilpatrick debacle is to the image of the metropolitan area at a time when it is struggling to shed some very bad stigmas.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5633
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dallas Metroplex gained 162,000 last year.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the population estimates assume that there will BE a Detroit in the next decade plus.
It is highly possible that the City of Detroit will cease to exist as an entity in the next few years.

The reasons for this are many. The tax base is gone. Bankruptcy is not a remote possibility. With the governments run by the likes of Coleman Young and Kwame K., no outside agency will be likely to help. Recurrent strikes (read American Axle) and rampant crime are negatives, Non-existant infrastructures such as transportation, etc.; all of these add up to a no-win for the city. Any money into the city government is swallowed by corruption and incompetence.

Is there a solution?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.