Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Which fast food messes up the most? » Archive through February 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many times does any fast food drive through forget to put an item you ordered in the bag and you don't find out till you get home. which restaurant does this the most?

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDonalds at Harper and Harvard (Cadieux-ish). Hands down.

Whittier70

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout that white castle on 8 and gratiot guaranteed to spend at least a half hour in the drive thru. no exaggeration.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7113
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For as simple as a meal can be at a White Castle, I swear they do have the longest waiting time in a drive-thru! I don't think it's indicative of any particular one either. ALL of them are hideously slow; I have yet to go to any White Castle and breeze out of there easily.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every single Wendy's.

All the fast food restaurants within city limits are crap.

Funny Thing too, but I got Food Poisoning from the Wendy's on Harper and Harvard and the City Airport Wendy's on Gratiot, they never get your orders correct.

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 16, 2008)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 5201
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's almost always faster getting out of the damn car and going inside to order. Those idiots who get misordered have themselves to blame when such an easy remedy is available (except after hours).

Then (after hours), always check everything **before** moving/leaving and **stay there** until it's fixed. They don't like having cars blocking the line, so you will get attention as long as you stay in control.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been a fan of chain fast-food joints, and I avoid them for the most part, but two incidents do stand out in my mind. Again, these aren't places I frequently patronize, so I don't know how typical these experiences are.

I went to a Burger King once where they refused to serve me, as they were completely out of food of any kind. I think it was on Grand River near downtown Farmington.

I was also at a Wendy's where some customers engaged the people behind the counter in a lengthy, animated shouting match. Nobody was being served, so I turned to leave, and just as I pulled out of the parking lot two cop cars showed up. That one was in Ferndale, on Woodward south of 9 Mile.

Whittier70

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

once at the kfc on 8mile and rex i went inside to order and they were out of chicken, at kfc, go figure??? thats like when i used to be with chase bank the atm was always out of money, which is why i left chase.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Whittier, that KFC is horrible. They never have any chicken or chicken ready.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 824
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked longer than I care to admit for the evil KFC corp. but trust me running out of CHicken i really possible there. Many people talk of going to Kfc and they have no chicken but it is very easy to have happen trust me I seen it happen to often no matter how hard we tried!

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The MacDonald's in Holly, MI, is the worst I have ever been to.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any fast food chain within the Detroit city limits. Including Hamtramck. Every single one. Without exception (in my experience). I once waited 50 minutes for an incorrect order from Rally's. The only reason we waited is because my car was too small to drive over the cement curb blocking us in. I got to the window and when no one apologized I asked why it took so long. I was told they were short staffed. I asked why there were (no joke) five employees standing around doing nothing, I was told they were on break.

If you are going to eat fast food, you're asking for it in the first place. If you expect decent fast food service in Detroit you are delusional. I'm lucky if I can find milk in Hamtramck that isn't going to expire in the next 72 hours.

Why? I'd don't know. What to do about it? I don't know. We buy most of our food in the (248) and (586) area codes and it's not because we don't want to support Detroit, it's because we care for our own health and sanity. On the rare occasion I do buy fast food, is it too much to ask that it's fast and also what I ordered?

(Message edited by Melody on February 16, 2008)

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's uncommon to have messed up orders where I live (Virginia Beach VA) but I hate not having sweet-and-sour sauce for the Chicken McNuggets as happened last week.

I used to go to Wendy's over McDonalds but I realized one day that I *always* gotten smushed burgers from Wendy's, never the floofy burgers they picture on the menu. McDonald's at least *box* their burgers so that the buns are not pressed to flatness.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the KFC on Old 8 Mile and the 94 Service drive in Harper Woods was the worst until I read abt the KFC that ran out of chicken! Gee, the HW KFC only ran out of all of the side dishes...at least they had chicken! Amazing to me and I hope embarrassing to the franchise owner. I just don't understand.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 924
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The workers make minimum wage. There's no motivation for them to get your order right.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Total agreement and sympathy goes out to fellow White Castle junkies. In Detroit and throughout Ohio, I have spent a good portion of my life waiting in line for a fix.

My family's experience suggests that Burger King struggles most to get it right; that said, they are mere percentage points ahead of McDonald's in special-order ineptitude.

Something else we've noticed, during breakfast & lunch rush, forget about it - all bets are off - don't even bother to make a special order....you'll come away brokenhearted every time.

You'll scrape the mustard - you will literally hold the lettuce (or pickle for that matter).
Have it your way....yeah, right.

(Message edited by chuckjav on February 16, 2008)

Clayton
Username: Clayton

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My family's experience suggests that Burger King struggles most to get it right; however...they are only percentage points ahead of McDonald's in special-order ineptitude.

Burger King IS the worst.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 494
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDonalds's in Okemos... Followed quickly by the Arby's across the street.

One can't get an order right, the other can't give correct change. MSU stoogents?

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burger King at Hall Road and Romeo Plank in Macomb Township. Even for fast-food workers, they are pretty stupid!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My worst experience was at Burger King on Sixth and Trumbull. I stopped in there before work to get a breakfast biscuit or something. I was trapped in that line for at least 30 minutes. When I got up there, I asked the somewhat harried looking woman what happened. She said she was the manager and no one else had come in yet. She was cooking and working the counter, too. Ever think of closing the drive through? I asked her. I started out early but ended up very late to work.

On the other hand, I've always had good service in the drive through at McD's on Jefferson east of Belle Isle.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on February 16, 2008)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you are going to eat fast food, you're asking for it in the first place. If you expect decent fast food service in Detroit you are delusional. I'm lucky if I can find milk in Hamtramck that isn't going to expire in the next 72 hours.

Why? I'd don't know. What to do about it? I don't know. We buy most of our food in the (248) and (586) area codes and it's not because we don't want to support Detroit, it's because we care for our own health and sanity. On the rare occasion I do buy fast food, is it too much to ask that it's fast and also what I ordered?"

Now Fast Food is one thing I will go Across 8 Mile to get anyday if I had a choice.

However, the Mcdonalds on Mack and I-75 is the best in the city.

I believe it's (the majority, not all of them) the teenagers that work at the restaurants. Many of them have no type of worker's etiquette or pride in their job.

(Message edited by detroitrise on February 16, 2008)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 806
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work in Southfield and the Wendy's on Telegraph just North of 12 Mile was the worst for messing up the order. You would go inside to order, and ALWAYS get back to the office and there would be one or two things missing. Never failed!

As for White Castle and the wait times - OMG! The one on Greenfield between 10 and 11 Mile, you might as well catch some zzz's while waiting in the drive-thru lane. They take forever there. However, the White Castle on Van Dyke - I believe located around 14 or 15 Mile, (one of mile roads around there) their drive-thru wait time isn't too bad.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whole concept of fast food seems to be lost in the city, and many surrounding suburbs. The Wendy's on Grand River, east of Southfield was terrible, or at least like every other Fast food joint in the area. They closed down, the restaurant was boarded up for over a year, and then it reopened and was great. They had a great manager (a key thing in such an operation) who encouraged her staff to keep things moving and do it the right way the first time.
The very best I have encountered lately is the Wendy's on Opdyke north of Featherstone. This is a text book operation. swift and accurate.

Whittier70

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want hot coffee real fast just go the
KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN ON WOODWARD IN HIGHLAND PARK and pull up to the drive thru and maybee KIMBERLY MALLORY(manager) will throw scalding hot coffee at you like she did that poor homeless man like an animal. not sure if kfc has coffee though but i'm sure they have SCALDING HOT WATER.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Burger King on E.Warren and Neff served me a RAW CHICKEN SANDWICH when I had ordered burger. The manager, all of 19, had nothing to say when I returned for a refund. Hard to find good help these days.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 890
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you want hot coffee real fast just go the
KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN ON WOODWARD IN HIGHLAND PARK and pull up to the drive thru and maybee KIMBERLY MALLORY(manager) will throw scalding hot coffee at you like she did that poor homeless man like an animal. not sure if kfc has coffee though but i'm sure they have SCALDING HOT WATER.

Great, just what this place needs...another Danny.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Warriorfan, I can actually relate with this "new Danny."

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UNITED WE STAND CONEY ISLAND! Grand River and Trumbull.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i rarely get fast food within the city limits. its usually anything but fast and after waiting its usually a disappointment. if you like mcdonalds, the store on woodward at 13 mile is the best.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite comedians, John Pinette, a fairly large fellow, complains about the skinny people in front of him in line at McDonalds wasting time looking up at the menu. "C'mon, its McDonalds! The menu hasn't changed in 50 years, its hamburgers! Place your order and get out of my way!"