Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Started enjoying a glass or two of wine lately. Who on the eastside, besides Trader Joe's has a good selection, price and can guide a novice with a selection? Made some bad choices on my own that ended up down the drain.

Thanks

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cloverleaf Fine Wine (soon to be Detroit Drinks) will be moving to Royal Oak soon. everyone there will be able to help you find what you like!

royal oak is kind of east side...

Citylife313
Username: Citylife313

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Cost Plus wine warehouse in Eastern Market great selection.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene-Woods Beverage on Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods, has a good selection, good priced.

Also, like Citylife above mentioned.Cost Plus, see Dan Mc Carthy. he can help you out.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that wine store in the Mack/Moross shopping center still there? I forgot the name. It was an excellent store but I haven't been over there in many months. Cost Plus is outstanding. Harbortown has a very good selection too.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is that wine store in the Mack/Moross shopping center still there? I forgot the name. It was an excellent store but I haven't been over there in many months. Cost Plus is outstanding. Harbortown has a very good selection too."

Yeah, old Gibbs is still there.

I have an off-topic question. Is he associated with the Corner Wine/Beer store that sits vacant/as a storage room (but in good condition) on Gratiot and Peter Hunt (Harper) ?

Clayton
Username: Clayton

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drise - do you drink?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Detroit - Harbortown Market on E. Jefferson near Mt. Elliot has a pretty good wine selection

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto on Cost Plus in Eastern Market... very well-rounded selection. Anything from $3.99 to $399, lol.

Knowledgable help, too.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4542
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the best wine sites on the web is Detroit's own www.gangofpour.com headed by Oak Parkers George Heritier and Kim Adams.

This both fun and informative and, as an original charter gangster - nom de vin 'The Zinfidel', I can assure you will find an amazing wealth of wine information local, national and international. These folks know their wines.

Our motto, "Nuquam Spuemus" [We drink it all, never spit a drop. :-)]

gang of pour detroit

Good taste even starts at the bottom with "jug wines that won't gag you", if you are ever put on wine probation, and works its way up.

My flavorite? Rhone region Gigondas'.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 448
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cost Plus is closing their Michigan stores, except for their outlets in A2 and Grand Rapids.

Rel

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong "Cost Plus". This is an independently-owned shop, not affiliated with "Cost Plus World Market".

Keep an eye on World Market's liquidation of certain stores, although their wine hasn't been reduced (I am not certain they can go below a certain markup by law).

Thanks for the great link, Lowell!

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong Cost Plus L_P.

Cost Plus Wines in Eastern Market is not going anywhere. Excellent selection, excellent staff.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6322
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only entire case of wine I've ever purchased was at that Eastern Market Cost Plus. Is Dan McCarthy the older gentleman?

The case I purchased was a superb 1976 (can't remember the vinyard)... German Riesling Qualitäts Wein Mit Prädikat Auslese!

It was Ausgezeichnet! (The drinking version of Fahrvergnügen!). :-)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4544
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three votes for Cost Plus. Very nice people, excellent selection at all price levels.

Rel

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Dan is Ted's son who took over recently. Ted retired, I think, but helps when it get's busy :-)

Try their great Vouvray for under $10! A trip to the cheese counter at Hirt's isn't complete without a trip down the block to CP.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four for Cost Plus. We've had wines we've tried at restaurants and couldn't find at any other retail store, then bop down to Eastern Market and they have what you need. Last time the wife picked up a couple nice chef's knives at Butcher and Packer's, since we were in the neighborhood. Damn, now I'm thirsty :-)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.bumwine.com/

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11644
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've seen, Mr. McCarthy still drops in for the tastings...he is one of the funniest and friendliest fellows. Always a big splash when he drops into Vivio's afterwards.

And he carried it on with his sons...yeah, I'm only buying wine in Eastern Market...if I can help it. They go out of their way to inform and help.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 237
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a while I was going to Cost Plus but really have enjoyed the same type of service over at Gibbs lately. And it is easier to get in and out of.

While in there the last time they recommended a Washington state wine (chard, cab and merlot) which were all wonderful at 6.99 a bottle. Went back and got a case of the chardonnay.

It's one of those places where I am usually the only one in there when I go and I wonder how they stay in business.

I know they do have an online newsletter and also do some tastings each year.

Pgn421

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

magnasco- Wich Gibbs did you go to?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn, I thought there was only one Gibbs (Moross and Mack)?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 762
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jrvass-

The Bumwine link was very interesting ... I think they had everything covered except bumwine ettiquette.
- how to fold the paper bag around the bottle
- urination strategy
- fund raising techniques
- MD 20/20 an alternative energy source

thanx for the link, btw I always bring Thunderbird to a party, it never fails to make exactly the wrong impression.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I often buy wine at Merchants in Dearborn. Great wine shop. I think they had one on the east side, but I'm not sure anymore.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibbs' original store used to be on Gratiot. After they opened at Mack/Moross, they ran both stores for several years. I believe they closed the Gratiot store about 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure exactly when though.

Eastsiders can also find good wine shops at the Yorkshire Market on Mack Avenue and the Village Wine Shop on East Jefferson in Grosse Pointe Park.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a non-smoking wine bar that sells wine on Jefferson (Nautical Mile) between 10 and 9 Mile, right?

There's a great selection of wine and beer, actually at the new Buscemi's on Harper just south of 10 mile. My favorite east side stop is the place at 12 Mile at I-94, Empire Market or Emporium or something?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok, Thanks Swingline.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3918
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Costco has a very nice selection as does Meijers (to my shock). Very decent prices.

I'm going to try that website, Lowell. Thanks.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One of the best wine sites on the web is Detroit's own www.gangofpour.com headed by Oak Parkers George Heritier and Kim Adams.

Funny you should mention that. I recently received my mailing list from Loring for their 2006 Spring release. As is my practice, I did some googling to find what some who have done some barrel tasting have to say about the wines. The gang of pour blog came up near the top of the list.

It is kind of odd to be in california and read a wine blog out of michigan for a peak into the upcoming release...but the insight was appreciated.

Pgn421

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody- Its a microwinery on Jefferson, bet 9 and 10. Red Cap.They have good wine, reasonably priced

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11648
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thanx for the link, btw I always bring Thunderbird to a party, it never fails to make exactly the wrong impression.

Um...then wouldn't it be the right impression? (for YOU, of course!)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a small place, but Yorkshire Market has some good stuff. On Mack just west of Cadieux.

Magnasco

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Gibbs is in the shopping plaza at Mack and Moross.

I do like the selection at Village Market but they are nowhere near as helpful as Gibbs. And Yorkshire is walking distance, so always nice to have in a pinch. :-)

Maybe I need to join a wine club.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3947
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get wine from A Taste of California - and you can get international selections. info@atasteofcalifornia.com
Most of the big vinyards have clubs to join - Bonny Doon, Cline have great selections.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.winebuys.com, right here in the D, has great advice and deals. Also you can go there and pick it up yourself, if you wish.

Instead of getting a customer the usual Harry & David style packaged holiday baskets, I had winebuys.com put together a case of wine, each bottle different. It was a huge hit.

For you wine aficionados here is the selection:

Warre's King's Tawny Porto NV
Tablas Creek Cotes Rouge 2004
Tablas Creek Cotes Blanc 2005
Nine Stones Hilltops Shiraz 2005
Perrin Cotes du Rhone Villages 2004
Cono Sur Vision Chardonnay 2006
Cono Sur Vision Merlot 2005
Marques de Caceres Rose 2005
Marques de Caceres Gran Reserva - 1998
Coudoulet De Beaucastel Cote du Rhone Rouge 2003
Villa Maria Cellar Selection Pinot Noir 2005
Weinbach Gewurztraminer Reserve Personelle - 2004

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking for a Schloss Vollrads (mit Pradikat)_ anywhere in the metro area. Any suggestions? I do not see it listed in winebuys.com and Gibb's, my usual source , is not the answer this time.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The LCBO in Ontario apparently carries a Schloss Vollrads Reisling (see link below). The LCBO can usually order anything you want, for a price. Of course, purchasing alcohol in Canada may be subject to duties and taxes upon importation to the United States.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/P roductResultsController?ITEM_N AME=Schloss+Vollrads+&ITEM_NUM BER=

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister's wine snob boyfriend swears by Champanes on Chicago Road in Warren
http://www.champanes.com/

The Liquor Resort on Grosebeck south of Hall road has a nice selection.

Embassy Wine at 12 mile and I94 in Roseville has half a store devoted to wine.

I'd also recommend doing some wine tasting at various Michigan wineries. There are a bunch around Traverse City and the Leelanau Peninsula (Sleeping Bear Dunes area). I have toured a number of them myself, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
http://www.michiganwines.com/W ineries/wineries.html

btw, Meijer has a good selection if your in a fix and need it quick.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warre's King's Tawny Porto NV
Tablas Creek Cotes Rouge 2004
Tablas Creek Cotes Blanc 2005
Nine Stones Hilltops Shiraz 2005
Perrin Cotes du Rhone Villages 2004
Cono Sur Vision Chardonnay 2006
Cono Sur Vision Merlot 2005
Marques de Caceres Rose 2005
Marques de Caceres Gran Reserva - 1998
Coudoulet De Beaucastel Cote du Rhone Rouge 2003
Villa Maria Cellar Selection Pinot Noir 2005
Weinbach Gewurztraminer Reserve Personelle - 2004

Lowell - thanks for supporting the Michigan wine industry with all of those interesting local vintages.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill second cost plus as a great place to find a wine you have tried in a restaurant.

Red Hat is good too. Me and my wife bottled our party favors there for our wedding. Very nice people. Try their velapalacio and gertzuliner (sp?)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from Traverse City this weekend. Brought back a lot of wine. Chateau Grand Traverse has suddenly become a favorite of mine.

The Wine Shop in Grosse Pointe on Mack just North of Vernier has very reasonable pricing(lots of 5 dollar bottles). I did notice that his markup on the Chateaux Grand Traverse is about 40% from what I bought up there.

I am really enjoying the Michigan wineries now.

Rel

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Broken_main, if you like MI wineries, also try Chateau Chantal. It's not far from Chateau Grand Traverse. Some local stores like Holiday in Royal Oak carry them)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5247
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My buddy works at General Wine and Liquor as a rep so he has some stories. The one that I hear a lot of is store in GP (I think on Mack) that sells more wine than the top 5 stores in Oakland County put together. One of their reps makes 25K a year from that one store alone!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattie's Perch cab shiraz ia a great cheapie! Maybe not for dinner parties, but for chilling at home, an A!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel..
Chateau Chantal is the very first winery that I tasted at. Beautiful Inn, Nice Vineyard, Excellent wine. I must say that I stock it in my wine cabinet as well.

I wanted to go to Chateau Chantal this past weekend but the roads were very slippery on the Old Mission. I will, be going back in 2 months(after my wife delivers) and I may just come back with about 6 cases.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second those choices on Chateau Chantal, Great Inn, Great view and great wine. Have you tried any of Dr. Pontes' own wines?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wiater's on 8 mile, just East of Groesbeck, has a decent selection of wine...and a great selection of beer

Rel

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main, CONGRATS on the baby on the way :-)

Try their Naughty Red served slightly chilled, or their Gewürztraminer for dessert.

I try to mention Michigan wineries (especially Chantal) to managers of big-box grocery stores because we have some great Michigan businesses to support! We are fortunate to have several good MI wineries to choose from, a result of our unique climate(s).

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we're talking MI wines. I'm all for Good Harbor's Rose and Harbor Red, as well as Chateau Grand Traverse Reislings

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While some of Chantel's wines are decent, I tend to prefer other vineyards in the area.

I have grown fond of Left Foot Charley's vintages as well as Gill's Pier Dunes label.

It seems like every time I am up in the area the wines improve and the knowledge there deepens.

Leelanaeu just had their St. Valentine's Day wine tour, while it is a shame that I missed it I do look forward to the others later in the year.

Bucket
Username: Bucket

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as selection and price, I would vote for Champanes in Warren. They can't be beat on selection and they often have blowout pricing that can't be beat on certain items.

As far as high-touch service and friendly, knowledgable staff goes, I'd vote for either Cost Plus or Gibbs.

Orange_barrel
Username: Orange_barrel

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some great wineries in Leelanau County along the east side of the pinky. Chateau Fontaine, Good Harbor and Black Star Farms get my vote.

Magnasco

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone locally do a good Michigan wine tasting event?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Orange--
I also like Black Star Farms. And, I really enjoy Bel Lago's Late Harvest Reisling. Very much a dessert wine. They also sometimes have an "ice wine" Reisling, which is allowed to freeze on the vine and then harvested at night while frozen. Expensive, as you can guess, but a small bottle once a year is a treat. I also like everything I've had from Gill's Pier. They only have a handful of varieties, but all are nice.

Virgochick
Username: Virgochick

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holiday Market in Royal Oak is the best place to get wine. Not only is their selection the best, Brian the wine manager can pair a wine--within your budget--with any meal. For wine tasting events, sign up with the Detroit Wine Organization. http://www.detroitwine.org/

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, I have mad love for Holiday Market, but their wines are wildly overpriced. They don't have a single wine you couldn't get anywhere else for less money.

Black Star Farms makes the most delicious pear brandy in the world. http://www.blackstarfarms.com/ winery/spirits/?id=156

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best deals I have found are at Costco. I found a couple of real nice deals at Harbortown Market. Reasonable selection for a small grocery store. Cost Plus and Harbortown---Eastside and Detroit.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like a good Riesling...Im not to partial to red wines. I heard from a friend of mine at work they are going to shut down all the Cost Plus stores in Michigan...and not keep any open. From what my buddy at work said was because of how slow sales have been at their stores.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Market Square at 13 and Southfield, great selection and best prices.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.