Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mr. Fo Fo's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa Johanon is one of the unheralded heroes that help make this city special.

If you have the opportunity to stop by and support the deli or the Freeze, and the work that the CDC does, I would urge you to do so.

quote:

D-Biz: Mr. Fo Fo's sandwiches are decadent and delicious
One-pound corned beef sandwiches are not for the faint of heart. Literally.

But that is what Mr. Fo Fo's does best, and has been doing for 30 years. The legendary restaurant is now managed by Central Detroit Christian Community Development Corp. who bought and renovated the building in 2006.

Director Lisa Johanon grew up just down the street from Mr. Fo Fo's and admits to being awed at the prospect of running such a neighborhood institution."I remember a line out the door, it was just a jammin' place all the time," she says. "We're really hoping to bring it back to the glory days that Mr. Fo Fo's once knew."

CDC trains young people between the ages of 16 and 21 at Mr. Fo Fo's and the adjacent ice cream shop, The Freeze. After five months of employment, the organization helps them find a permanent job. 300 youth have passed through the workforce training program in the past seven years.

The restaurant and its staff inspire devotion from its patrons. "To see how many people are so loyal to the restaurant, that's been unique to see," says Johanon.

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/DBIZmr-fo-fos13108.as px

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live down the street from Mr. FoFo's and they really have a nice thing going there!

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Mr. Fo's at? I was surprised that the modeld article didn't include the location.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this Mr. Fo Fos store still on Second Ave?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11649
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it Second Avenue between Boston/Edison and the New Center areas?

Haven't been in years, but they always put me in a food coma.

Amazing food...great people back then. Sounds like they're keeping another tradition alive.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11650
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY, they had it...just a few clicks away.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good call. I'm lazy and expected it to be in the article.

Jazzylinn
Username: Jazzylinn

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FoFo's is on Second off of Hazlewood.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.