Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Nine on Third « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what happened with this development? The real estate story in Model D today said the townhouses are empty but didn't go much beyond that. They're listed for sale at $170,000 each now, well below their original asking price of $210,000, but they still sit empty. I'm surprised they're not even trying to rent them out. I thought I saw a thread on here earlier that briefly touched on the project but I can't find it anywhere in the search. Anyone know where this project stumbled? If is it a case of bad timing in the market or did the developer fumble it?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 879
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're ugly and the location is not good either. People walking on the sidewalk are practically in your in your living room.
I'm not surprised they haven't been selling.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they're ugly. A bit minimalist considering the neighborhood, but not unattractive. More bland than anything else. They are a bit close to the sidewalk for Detroit standards. I wonder if the architects thought that since the main floor was raised almost a story off the sidewalk level that it would mitigate the "in your living room" aspect?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10108
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally like when buildings are closer to the street. It has the feeling of an area being more dense in nature.
The reason(s) could be economic in many ways.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's just bad timing. i don't recall anything bad that happened during the development of the townhomes. i think that people just aren't buying new construction at the moment. there are several projects that have been completed that are still mostly empty.

as for rentals, they may be locked into selling them due to the financing structure that they've used. sometimes it's not as simple as the developer simply changing their mind to go from one to the other. projects developed for sale and projects developed to rent sometimes have vastly different financing structures that may take time to convert to the other, if at all possible.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just because you don't like them doesn't mean someone else won't. that's not a viable excuse for why they aren't selling. and the living room is around four feet above grade, so people on the street aren't exactly able to look in on your living room.

i too like that they are right up on the sidewalk. it's more dense and "urban" in nature. but the main reason for this is the limitations of the site; they had to push them as far forward as they could to facilitate vehicle circulation in the rear. that site is fairly shallow.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The density works for this project. The Midtown area can use as much density as possible at this point, and projects like these seem like a good fit. A lot of the row houses in the city's older neighborhoods are squeezed into the end of the block like this.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah they are more bland then ugly.
I think my points on them are valid. They seem stuffy and the people who's heads and voice would be about 8 feet away from the living room window. You could see down on them, certainly hear them. I used to live right there and at another spot right off of third street, the people walking down third can be real loud sometimes.

Those places haven't sold because they have too many negatives. They've been up for sale for a while too.

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hear people in the street? The horror!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to live on Hancock across from the Physics Building. I find dense living IS noisier than neighborhood living. If it isn't late night pub crawlers leaving after the pubs close, it's the neighborhood Harley guy gunning up at 6:30 a.m. Or the construction guys yelling at each other fit to wake the dead at 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. You have to accept the noise if you want to enjoy midtown living and its conveniences and coolth. The great pleasure of seeing the fireworks or the Thanksgiving Parade without fighting traffic, and hosting afters parties for your friends can't be beat.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe now that the Crackthoven (Beethoven Apartments) has been gutted the neighborhood will perk up a bit.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nine on Third; they tried to put the whole damn baseball team on third base....no wonder it ain't happening.

What next....Eleven on Ten-Yard Line; Five on Charity Stripe?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My opinion is that they are in a great location, city wide, but a horrible location in the way they were placed along 3rd Street. That street gets minimal traffic and being so, motorists race down the road at high rates of speeds because the pavement is so wide.

The streetscape on 3rd is horrendous and perhaps if 9 on 3rd was built a bit further back, there could have been a wider sidewalk and then space designated for nice, mature urban trees to be planted.

Instead, there's really not a whole lot of sidewalk space to walk, NO space for any aesthetic element, and this as a result for building parking in the rear of the units. 9 on 3rd in other major cities would have been built w/ no parking, and would have made an arrangement w/ the city to allow permit parking on the side of the street adjacent to the structure. I don't know, but I dare to say Detroit is at the level of revitalization that it DOESN'T need parking w/ every new project. I wouldn't doubt if the reason 9 on 3rd isn't selling is for the same reason I woudln't buy one...the minimal sidewalk is practically in your living room and the speedway that is 3rd Street is just inches beyond that.

I like density, but this one got it all wrong in my opinion. Again, the location is great...who whouldn't want to live on West Canfield? :-)

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. the homeless shelter nso is three blocks down

2. section 8 housing is across the street

3. one block east is tom boy market where there are more drugs then at you local CVS.

4. you need secure parking because there is a good chance you care will not be there in the mornnig.

so who would be willing to spend 200k on a condo in this area

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had two opportunities to see these units on the inside. They are too small if you ever plan on inviting more than two people over. The second bedroom is the size of a walk-in closet. For a college student or recent grad, Nine on Third would be a great first apartment. Room for one person, who doesn't have to worry about maintenance.

The developer should have focused on making the units bigger. Instead of Nine on third, maybe it should have been Five on Third, with the units being wider. If wider, the owner could actually have a formal dining room and a study/office. Oh well, maybe the developer can knock down some walls.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you spend 200 K on a condo and have the pleasure of doing your shopping at the Tom Boy , real charming urban marketplace .

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4447
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should be rentals. End of story. Nobody get's a mortgage to live in a modern rowhouse in that sort of location, at least in this market.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building really isn't that bad. Better than moving the building back would be a thinner street. A wider sidewalk with street trees and a parking lane would do wonders for that location. As it sits now, 4 lanes of traffic next to a little sidewalk running right up to the brick wall - kind of brutal. Can you imagine how hot it would be there on a July afternoon?

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, I live nearby and have always wondered about those oddities. Where people think up that kind of shit, I haven't a clue.
As Royce remarked, they would be best suited for a college student or recent grad, however:
-those demographics probably can't afford that price tag, or if they can, would find a better, at least more spacious place.
-there are tons of extremely affordable, historic, more spacious, and better-located apartments throughout the area for those same people.

Seriously, you could rent a flat in an authentic West Canfield Victorian for a fraction of the cost.
Or just apply for Section 8 and live across the street.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 768
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or just apply for Section 8 and live across the street.

Isn't that the real issue? 175K is a lot of money to put into an investment that might never pay off.

http://www.nineonthird.com/index.htm

Why buy a townhome that isn't a townhome or a loft that isn't a loft?

(Message edited by gnome on February 20, 2008)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VPS the hell out of it or I bet scrappers will get in before the summer.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks the development might be saved from scrappers yet. Ghetto prophets are saying the development has been bought out and will be turned into rentals.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed that the phone number on the banner has already been disconnected. Also the gas meter has a lock on it which tells me that they have not been paying the bill nor have they been showing them over the winter with no heat.
I was shocked when they built on the corner ot W. Willis and Third. Those are like 180K but you have to be low income to qualify. Don't get me started on what kind of people it attracts.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4502
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So basically this modern, new-construction abandonment in the city.

Wow, that was productive.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it doesn't get scrapped, it will have produced some updated housing units. Unlike some parts of the city, I expect there are people who will want to live there at a reduced price--just not what the developers needed to make a profit.

You do have to wonder what the developers were thinking.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4503
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The design basics-- zero setback etc.-- are good, but the execution was average, the materials are bland, and the price tag should have started a bit lower.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 687
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks the development might be saved from scrappers yet. Ghetto prophets are saying the development has been bought out and will be turned into rentals.

______________________________ ___________________

E_hemingway,

Have you talked to Danny or the Ghettoman lately?

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, but my sources are reliable.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 688
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just kidding, I couldn't resist the temptation to play on the Getto Prophet line, sorry!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't blame you. Those were some classic lines from a different forum.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.